Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Mountain biking questions again!

Hydraulic Disc Brakes: which ones should I get??
    Avid Elixir's are cool. Have used them, liked them.
    Hayes: have used a couple different models, forget which. Liked them a lot.
    Hope: never used them. Heard outstanding things about them.
    Shimano: similar.

better for the money is better for me.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2012 edited

ive always used hayes stroker ryde or avid juicy 7, both have done more than fine if maintained properly, but that goes without saying.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Stoker Aces are on Price Point for like 75 bucks...tempting.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2012

The new shimano stuff is unbeatable. Its not even a debate.

Hayes are unreliable and the awesome warranty manager andy died last year. I don't trust them.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    Avid Hydraulics are unreliableTake-off everything but your rainboots
    Has anyone used the Orontas bike products (lubes/grease/cleaner)? Thoughts? Ups? Downs? Sides?clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012

Anyone have any experience with Origin8 (Pro Force Cantis, to be specific) ??I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    I know Mike uses a lot of Origin8 stuff on (ahem) lower-cost ANTs, fwiwi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Good budget stuff, nothing I'd use to save my life.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    ^eh, he said canti's. Can't stop! won't stop!clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

EPIC! Stratton:Has anyone used the Orontas bike products (lubes/grease/cleaner)? Thoughts? Ups? Downs? Sides?

Marketing and packaging design as a substitute for chemistry.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    • CommentAuthorgc

they sent a free sample of nearly one of everything they make to my work. in short: meh.gone
    • CommentAuthorgc

though if we're talking renewable resources, bear grease and whale oil ftw.gone
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2012

Needed: higher quality headset, with boom mic OR a non-music industry mic that has good pick up.

Purpose: I need to talk on skype when playing starcraft 2, and the mic vice clamped to my desk is just so...ghetto. That, and my headphones are becoming busted. Ideally would like to keep it under 150 dollars, and would like to avoid having an audiophile quality amp sitting on my desk. I know good sound, and I know overhyped crap. However, I have very little experience with buying "gaming headsets," as the one logitech set I bought sounded like utter shit. I also have no idea what constitutes a good mic. My current headset is a pair of well worn Sennheiser HD-570s.

There has to be another person on this board who has had experience with this in the past.
    • CommentAuthorroburrito
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012

Any opinion of Civia Calhoun fenders? Looking for a nice 40-42mm fender. Honjo's are a little too expensive.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    roburrito:Any opinion of Civia Calhoun fenders? Looking for a nice 40-42mm fender. Honjo's are a little too expensive.

VO FTWTake-off everything but your rainboots
    • CommentAuthorroburrito
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012

Too bad their hammered fenders are out of stock.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    anybody got an opinion on VO rando framesets?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012

mrotown:The new shimano stuff is unbeatable. Its not even a debate.

Hayes are unreliable and the awesome warranty manager andy died last year. I don't trust them.

I'm late, but +1
    • CommentAuthorroburrito
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2012

Good comprehensive review of rear lights.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    • CommentAuthorObo

^pretty awesome... wish more lights we're usb-charged though...I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    why the poop does everyone think USB charged batteries are good? there are some huge flaws with choosing a usb cable over regular rechargeable batteries.

1: proprietary lithium/NiCad battery. you short it once, you pay a lot to get a new one, versus just recycling your dead batteries.
    2: what if your battery dies when you go out for a ride? you can't just pop into the store and buy a replacement. same goes if you go on a spur of the moment ride, and forgot to charge batteries the night before.
    3: more expensive.
    • CommentAuthorgrev

smoothness:why the poop does everyone think USB charged batteries are good? there are some huge flaws with choosing a usb cable over regular rechargeable batteries.

1: proprietary lithium/NiCad battery. you short it once, you pay a lot to get a new one, versus just recycling your dead batteries.
    2: what if your battery dies when you go out for a ride? you can't just pop into the store and buy a replacement. same goes if you go on a spur of the moment ride, and forgot to charge batteries the night before.
    3: more expensive.

i have this light by serfas. it's like $30-40, very bright, the battery lasts forever (i charge it once a month maybe), it's usb rechargeable, and takes a split second to put on/take off the bike. it's about as costly as any other decent quality battery light. i personally find it considerably more convenient than other lights, and i've even rebought it after breaking a previous one. my phone is usb rechargeable so i use the same wall adapter for the light as i do my phone.

and the planet bikes super flash is an excellent rear light.not another pitcher!
    • CommentAuthorObo

I have that serfas too. Its the same price as other lights. I'd rather replace a light in the rare instance it shorts, rather than buy batteries every time. all usb lights have charge indicators as well.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    i'd rather fix a light and recharge my eneloop batteries rather than toss an an entire hunk of plastic/circuitry not to mention the alkaline batteries. also: rechargeable batteries are better than alkaline batteries based on discharge over time. additionally, headlamps/mounted flashlights are better than bicycle specific lights, because they're multi-functional, and almost always brighter.
    i concur on mounted flashlights. there are rubber blocks with velcro straps that make it easy to mount them just about anywhere. I have this spiderfire p7 and it is consistently as bright or brighter than the many other lights i have encountered though the rating of 900 lumens is probably a bit of an "idealization". it uses 1 rechargable 18650 li-ion cell with ~6 hours life on the lower setting and 1.5 hours on brightest. brightest is naturally best used for areas with little or no street lighting and seems pretty comparable to car headlights. some might be bothered by the short battery life but i have a couple spares and don't mind recharging relatively often.bowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2012

Which touring saddles have you used? I rode a B17 for a while, but the sag was getting bad (bought second hand and it wasn't cared for).
    I've been looking at the VO touring saddle, it seems a comparable (and cheaper) alternative. Can you recommend any non-leather ones as well?
    i ride a flyer special, which is the same shape as the b17 but with thicker leather and springs. it has held up great and isn't hammocky at all. i've done ~4000 miles on it, fwiw.
    clockwork ted:i ride a flyer special, which is the same shape as the b17 but with thicker leather and springs. it has held up great and isn't hammocky at all. i've done ~4000 miles on it, fwiw.

ted are you the jackasss who stole both the flyers off my tandem? I be you are grrrrr!Take-off everything but your rainboots
    we need an impartial frimper to compare the smell of the saddle and our respective taints, it's the only way to know for sure.
    craig wants to do itsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorroburrito
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012 edited

Recommendations for ultimate commuter pants? Something that will keep my legs dry when it rains and my balls dry when its hot. I've got thick legs so no skinny jean / girl pants.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    no such thing. but eric baumann swears by swrve jeanssomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorroburrito
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012 edited

They don't have to be something I can wear into work, just to get there. Any comments on Shower Pass?A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    never tried em, but i've always gone with jeans or shorts under normal rain pants when it's wet and cutoffs or spandex when it's hot and have no complaints. good luck.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012

i also swear by craft bullet rain pants, very well made, dont look stupid and keep you dry, fit great over jeans.
    as far as jeans are concerned, swrve are great, levis commuters are also very good and do repel water pretty well until you wash em.RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012 edited

looking for recommendations on gps things for bikes. i'd like it to have a map, or is that unreasonable/unnecessary?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012

I have a non-mapping gps unit and hate it. I also have a mapping gps unit and love it. I would not purchase a non-mapping gps unit.

That said, a gps unit for a tour (which I am making the assumption you want it for) isn't worthwhile (imo) and you'll spend a lot of time trying to charge it and fiddling with it and worrying about it instead of just learning to read a damned map.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    but i'm trying to keep up with these damn kids and their new fanglin new technologies.
    ok, thanks, ill probs just opt for a good computer then.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

BAUMANN:i also swear by craft bullet rain pants, very well made, dont look stupid and keep you dry, fit great over jeans.
    as far as jeans are concerned, swrve are great, levis commuters are also very good and do repel water pretty well until you wash em.

i gotta contest the levis commuters
    bf got a pair, had em for 3 weeks and the crotch exploded. he didn't even wear them every day.
    the crotch IS reinforced. i'm not gunna get all sewing nerd but the placement of the extra patches was not well thought out

he wrote to them, though, and i think they're either sending him a new pair or giving him a refund FWIWMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

I agree, the crotch re-inforcement is poorly placed but the saddle, fit and QC has a lot to do with it (crotch exploding) as well.
    ive rode mine daily for a few months and still going strong with no signs of wearing through.RIDE METAL
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

seanile mick:looking for recommendations on gps things for bikes. i'd like it to have a map, or is that unreasonable/unnecessary?
    garmin edge 800, nothing else comes close. worth every penny. you can download and use open source maps as well which will save you about $70. if this is for bike n build, there is no discussion here, get an 800. the battery will last 15+ hours on the bike and charges fast. question answered.RIDE METAL
    seanile mick:but i'm trying to keep up with these damn kids and their new fanglin new technologies.
    ok, thanks, ill probs just opt for a good computer then.

NO

Show them how a real man navigates, with a goddamn map and compass and a huge beard.

GROW A FUCKING BEARD, SEAN.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Wait, he dickbombed those things already? I was thinking of getting a pair, but this has stayed my (internet shopping) hand. If there's one thing I destroy in pants its the saddle region.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

its the saddle! i blame the saddle, it makes a HUGE difference in blowing out crotches.RIDE METAL
    Dickies work pants get a saddle wear mark but they do hold up, and they're under $30, but they're not as comfy as good jeans.

Also, Dickies jeans are not that comfortable.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

dickies feel like you are wearing a canvas sack on your legs.
    levis and swrve have lycra built into the fabric that stretches with your movements.
    i have never worn more comfortable pants on a bike.
    also, if you want i can hook you up with 40% off levis commuters. just sayin.RIDE METAL
    surprisefries:
    seanile mick:but i'm trying to keep up with these damn kids and their new fanglin new technologies.
    ok, thanks, ill probs just opt for a good computer then.

NO

Show them how a real man navigates, with a goddamn map and compass and a huge beard.

GROW A FUCKING BEARD, SEAN.
    You get used to it and then they feel relatively comfortable. Plus my fat ass and wide birthing hips and thunder thighs ruin jeans via cycling so I just can't justify spending $$ on good jeans. Maybe I'll give a pair a try though, especially if you could give a brother a hookup.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorroburrito

^ They look too skinny for my legs.

No one's tried Shower Pass? I like the idea of converting to knickers for the summer. Looks like only Wheelworks carries them in the area. Might just go back to wearing my Prana climbing pants.A few spokes shy of a wheel.