Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

a beard? i wish..somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012

roburrito:^ They look too skinny for my legs.

No one's tried Shower Pass? I like the idea of converting to knickers for the summer. Looks like only Wheelworks carries them in the area. Might just go back to wearing my Prana climbing pants.

You're talking about the shower's pass hybrid pants? I'd skip them. I got a pair and I hated them. It looked like I was wearing sweatpants and the legs were just tubes with no taper, which is only cool if you're an elephant.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    • CommentAuthorroburrito
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012

Good to know. Wondering if the Club is any different. Other than the looks how was the quality?A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2012

BAUMANN:I agree, the crotch re-inforcement is poorly placed but the saddle, fit and QC has a lot to do with it (crotch exploding) as well.
    ive rode mine daily for a few months and still going strong with no signs of wearing through.

paul jameson:Wait, he dickbombed those things already? I was thinking of getting a pair, but this has stayed my (internet shopping) hand. If there's one thing I destroy in pants its the saddle region.

surprisefries:You get used to it and then they feel relatively comfortable. Plus my fat ass and wide birthing hips and thunder thighs ruin jeans via cycling so I just can't justify spending $$ on good jeans. Maybe I'll give a pair a try though, especially if you could give a brother a hookup.

naw baumann, you right, you right.
    i feel like the pants would do OK if there was less stress on them from the get-go (read: were worn by a string bean roadie instead of a track racer)
    so paul you might be good
    evan, maybe not
    but you never know!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    • CommentAuthoradro
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012

anyone have a recommendation on a rear rack? or have an extra one lying around?
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012 edited

'surly nice' has done me real wellsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

i have one thats been sittin on my porch for the past 6 months or so, if its still functional you are more than welcome to it. might need some hardware though...RIDE METAL
    i like the jandd expedition and the ird khyber or jakar. i also have a freebie rack if you want, but you'd need to bring your own bolts.
    • CommentAuthorgc

dickies 874 or levis 501.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.

Patagonia Rock Craft Pants

Water-resistant, stretchy, durable, breathable... perfect.unstuck in time
    I have been wearing Dickies skinny-fit work pants for about 4 months straight (literally. I take them off for sex, shower, and sleep [sometimes]), including ~40 miles of cycling a week. No damage yet from the cycling aspect. Broke the button off though. Sewed a new one on, N.B.D.
    trying to find an entry level mtb, 26" or 29er. person wants to buy this hardrock 29er, but i think he would get much more bang for buck with this haymaker, or any other bikesdirect bike. the parts on the 29er just look like crap to me. any suggestions? potential owner knows wouldn't know coil from air, lockout to locknut.
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2012 edited

smoothness:trying to find an entry level mtb, 26" or 29er. person wants to buy this hardrock 29er, but i think he would get much more bang for buck with this haymaker, or any other bikesdirect bike. the parts on the 29er just look like crap to me. any suggestions? potential owner knows wouldn't know coil from air, lockout to locknut.

^ Although I have no experience with Bikesdirect mountain stuff, I've gotten two of their singlespeed/fixed gear bikes and a road bike. Here are my thoughts.

BD bikes are functional, not exceptional. While they do use better components to a certain extent, their wheels tend to suck and will probably need to be eventually replaced. Everything else is generic, but will work just fine, especially for a beginner. A more discerning rider would probably expect to change out things right away.

One thing to consider is fitting the bike to him; he can't test ride it. Next, how mechanically inclined he is. Obviously, he'll have to put his bike together out of a box. If it were me, I'd completely tear down the bike, basically down to the bearings to check everything working fine and put it back together. If he can't or wont' do this, he'll have to pay someone, read, a bike shop. Same goes for general maintenance.

Which brings me to another point; people around here generally like to build rapport with and support their LBS. I tend to find the bikes shops sell overpriced, so I usually go the craigslist or online route. This might be a matter of principle for some people. I'm broke, so I go with what's cheapest. I go to a shop for things I can't find online or I need right away or that I want to test ride or when I don't have a random tool (like a headset press). But in your friend's case, fuck Landry's. I've never had a good experience with them.

Lastly, there is the whole elitism factor where people will scoff at your bike for being a BD bike. Not sure if he cares about that sort of thing.

That about sums things up.

For what its worth, I'm seriously considering buying one of BD's titanium road bikes...unstuck in time
    josh_truant:I have been wearing Dickies skinny-fit work pants for about 4 months straight (literally. I take them off for sex, shower, and sleep [sometimes]), including ~40 miles of cycling a week. No damage yet from the cycling aspect. Broke the button off though. Sewed a new one on, N.B.D.

What saddle do you have? My Dickies (original fit work pants) hold up really well but get significant saddle wear marks.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    So my taillight on my road bike broke. It's a pretty slick little thing that bolts onto an M5 bolt and looks way rad, all retro and shit. Looks like this but is not:
    http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/silver-bullet-rear-safety-flasher

Who else makes these? I'm not a huge fan of the soma ones, they just look a little weird to me.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    ^yours is made by bruce gordonTake-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2012

smoothness:trying to find an entry level mtb, 26" or 29er. person wants to buy this hardrock 29er, but i think he would get much more bang for buck with this haymaker, or any other bikesdirect bike. the parts on the 29er just look like crap to me. any suggestions? potential owner knows wouldn't know coil from air, lockout to locknut.

whare are they looking to do with it? are they actually interested in mountain biking, or do they want a commuter?

i don't know a whole lot about entry-level mtb parts but it looks like the BD bike is a mix of entry-level shimano versus the hardrock being entry-level sram. both are mechanical disc brake set-ups and the BD is 3x8 vs the HR being 3x7. the hardrock is a deal b/c it's a 2011 close-out and the price of the two bikes is about the same. i don't know why the list price for the BD bike is $1000, i don't think a mechanical disc brake 3x8 26" hardtail with entry-level stuff would be priced that high and it makes it look like a better deal than it is.

assembly costs, like west pointed out, are a consideration. with landry's you should be getting a fully assembled bike with probably 1 free tune-up or something, not sure what landry's does with new bikes. if your friend has to pay to get the BD assembled it's going to end up costing a lot more.
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

looking for a bright ass headlight for my bicycles.

using it for night trail riding and a few brevets this year.

battery packs are fine (if not preferred) if it means i wont have to charge the thing every time I use it.

suggestions?RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

for any of the lights that i've ever used/seen, you're going to have to have a battery pack if you want it to last for more than an hour and a half or two at a steady beam and you're going to want to charge it every time you use it, short of using it on the flashing setting to commute. i always charge my lights if i know i'm going night riding. it's much better to do that than worry about them being low & dying while you're in the middle of the woods.

i have a light & motion seca 700, it's a few years old, bright as hell (700 lumens), i've never had an issue with it dying, and the battery is not too bulky (battery has to be stashed in a jersey pocket or camelback if you've got the light on your helmet, which is what you want to do if you're mountain biking at night). i got cary an exposure diablo light, which is only helmet-mounted, though he hasn't used it very often for night rides so i haven't gotten much of a review from him. the head mechanic at BBB, an avid mtn biker, is the one who recommended it to me & he loves it. the nice thing about it is that it can run w/out a battery for 1 1/2 hrs steady or 3-5 flashing, i think, and then it has a helmet mounted battery booster that at least doubles it's run time. it's super bright, 1000 lumens maybe? and the battery is really compact. nite riders also makes excellent lights according to the people i know who have them, don't know the models well though. matt roy, ultra-endurance roadie guy, is sponsored by cateye & while i don't know their product line at all i'm sure he wouldn't use them if they didn't make things that suited his needs. also, sean mentioned some CA-based light company he works for, it seems that those lights are very bright and a reasonable price but i don't know anything about the mounting, run time, or battery situation.
    I will again postulate that you purchase my dinotte ultra 5Take-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

BAUMANN:looking for a bright ass headlight for my bicycles.

battery packs are fine (if not preferred) if it means i wont have to charge the thing every time I use it.

suggestions?

paging un: studyourheartMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    I really like my light and motion seca 300, but i dont go mtb at night with it. I have gone down hill (on a paved road) at 20 mphish at night out here in dark mass and been fine.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    BAUMANN:looking for a bright ass headlight for my bicycles.

suggestions?

we just got the cordless minewt 350, and holy hell that is bright.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Stormy Arthur:^yours is made by bruce gordon

you da best.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

thanks for the input guys, sounds like there are quite a few good options out there.
    also sounds like im in the market for a helmet mount AND bar mount light...decisions decisions...RIDE METAL
    light and motion seca can be used on helmet or barsYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

yea i just figure ill get some searchlight thing to stick on the bars and a smaller thing for the helmet.
    might be easier to double down though...RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

speaking as a 24 hr mountain bike racer, it is disorienting to have a bright light bouncing around on the bars rather than shining where your head is looking. i'd recommend having your strong light on your head in the woods. i would imagine that's less necessary on road/dirt paths where you're doing less dodging and turning but it's still nice to have it lit up predominantly where you're looking. then your back-up light, if you feel you need one despite a bright-ass headlight on your head, can be more basic. most 24 hour races require you to have two lights on you during the night laps in case something goes wrong. i just use a cateye commuter light, it's enough to get me out of the woods if something went wrong with my seca and it saves me from worrying about another battery pack.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012

ratattack:speaking as a 24 hr mountain bike racer, i am the baddest of the ass
    Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

ftfy ;)Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    roburrito:Recommendations for ultimate commuter pants? Something that will keep my legs dry when it rains and my balls dry when its hot. I've got thick legs so no skinny jean / girl pants.

I'm also going to give the thumbs down to the Levi's commuters. They are comfy and feel great on a bike, but Ive been on mine for 3 months and this week I officially wore through em. At least for me, the double stitching is in the wrong spot.fast music fast bikes
    surprisefries:
    josh_truant:I have been wearing Dickies skinny-fit work pants for about 4 months straight (literally. I take them off for sex, shower, and sleep [sometimes]), including ~40 miles of cycling a week. No damage yet from the cycling aspect. Broke the button off though. Sewed a new one on, N.B.D.

What saddle do you have? My Dickies (original fit work pants) hold up really well but get significant saddle wear marks.

Some shitty Redline saddle off of a Monocog. Not exactly race-spec, but not a jell-o Wal-mart saddle, either.
    hm. maybe i'm doomed to forever saddle marks.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012 edited

YOUR SADDLE IS AS MUCH TO BLAME FOR WEARING THROUGH YOUR PANTS AS YOUR PANTS.

if your saddle is made of anything other than un-ripped, smooth leather (or a comparable, equally smooth material)...that may have something to do with it.

c'mon people.RIDE METAL
    I knowwww, that's why I asked about Josh's saddle. I definitely think the wear has slowed since I changed to a better saddle from the one that came stock on my Langster. Maybe I should just break down and get a Brooks or something.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

any saddle with hard edges will wear your pants down.
    you ideally want something with a smooth and rounded in shape, like a turbo or a concor. im sure there are others that fit that description as well but these are my favorite pants-friendly options.RIDE METAL
    surprisefries:I knowwww, that's why I asked about Josh's saddle. I definitely think the wear has slowed since I changed to a better saddle from the one that came stock on my Langster. Maybe I should just break down and get a Brooks or something.

I'll extend a 20% off brooks saddle deal to any bfixersTake-off everything but your rainboots
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012

every time i get a brooks i'm like "ugh why did i spend so much money on a brooks" and then a month later it's like "UGH HOW DID I EVER RIDE ANYTHING OTHER THAN A BROOKS"

full disclosure: "every time" = twice
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.

Stormy Arthur:
    surprisefries:I knowwww, that's why I asked about Josh's saddle. I definitely think the wear has slowed since I changed to a better saddle from the one that came stock on my Langster. Maybe I should just break down and get a Brooks or something.

I'll extend a 20% off brooks saddle deal to any bfixers

Seriously? What's the msrp on one of those?unstuck in time
    Whoa, that is motivating. I may just take you up on that Alexi, good lookin' out.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthoradro

Seriously? I was all set on putting a Romin Evo on my road bike and then taking the Avatar and putting it on my commuter. Now I'm all confused. Good looks!
    What's a decent hip pouch that will hold an Evo 4 U-lock? Sick of carrying my fucking huge messenger bag around on warm days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012 edited

josh_truant:What's a decent fanny pack that will hold an Evo 4 U-lock? Sick of carrying my fucking huge messenger bag around on warm days.

ftfyunstuck in time
    I don't care if you call it a dildo holster, I just need something to carry my lock.
    west.:
    josh_truant:What's a decent chaos pouch that will hold an Evo 4 U-lock? Sick of carrying my fucking huge messenger bag around on warm days.

ftfy
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

josh_truant:I don't care if you call it a dildo holster, I just need something to carry my lock.

haha"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

I have no experience with hip pouches but would recommend considering a front basket if you don't have drops/bullhorns. Or a smaller backpack."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    west.:
    ^ Although I have no experience with Bikesdirect mountain stuff, I've gotten two of their singlespeed/fixed gear bikes and a road bike. Here are my thoughts.

Lastly, there is the whole elitism factor where people will scoff at your bike for being a BD bike. Not sure if he cares about that sort of thing.

That about sums things up.

For what its worth, I'm seriously considering buying one of BD's titanium road bikes...

I understand the supporting the local part - which I do on occasion. Then again, I've been burned by Bicycle Bills twice, IBC tried to charge me 20 bucks for a seat post binder bolt (i asked for a cheap one), Cambridge Bicycle told me to screw off when I asked them if they had any m5 bolts for a rack, and another shop straight out told me that my mixte was stupid to my face. So I believe in the concept, not the execution.

On the bicycles themselves (Specialized Hard Rock 29er versus "X" bikes direct mtb), I was drawn in by the allure of a lock-out rock shox versus some non-locking coil-sprung fork on the 29er. He thinks he's going to go trail riding, but he also thinks he's going to need a triathalon bicycle, and a "bike with swoopy handlebars - it's easy to switch from flat bar right? just throw the shifters and brakes on them?" So I'm trying to prevent part lust later on. Also: I'd put the bike together, and I don't think he'd ever throw the wheels out of true.

Additionally, the only MTBs he's ridden excessively were Marins with triple butted columbus steel - aka: super bling. He has no idea that cheaper bikes are not as "crisp", and far heavier.

TL;DR: person does not know entry MTBs weigh a fuck ton. Trying to prevent part lust later on. Anyone know which one of the BD mtbs would be the best and under 700?
    part lust and less than $700 for complete mtb is very difficult if you've already ridden nice mtbssomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorroburrito

I've always been under the impression that all bikes direct frames, even their higher end ones, are heavy.A few spokes shy of a wheel.