Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2012

power grips never caught on very well due to their tendency to tear.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2012

Interesting, where did they typically tear?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    Cambridge bikes sells Pake cages (plastic) and also rubberized straps. I have been using them for a little bit now and I love them. the rubberized straps grip your shoe better and don't tear and fray like nylon where it contacts the metal.tristan - thats fucking rad dude, I'm happy for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2012

at either point of attachment on the pedal. it's like when the straps on your toe cages tear, only there's no secondary catch to hold your foot when they go like the cages will. it always seemed that the general consensus regarding power grips was that they were unsafe for fixed gears in case of failure. that's why holdfasts took off so well - from everything i've heard, they actually work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2012

everyone complains about the cost of holdfast ($60) but when you think about it a good cage and strap would be similar in cost:

Soma 4-Gates on Amazon are $27 - http://www.amazon.com/Fabrications-Clips-4-Gate-Bicycle-Pedal/dp/B004J2T4EI
    Origin8 double straps are $23.29 - http://www.amazon.com/Origin-8-Origin8_Leather-Dbl/dp/B00546F5KK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2

That's $50+ shipping, and at most LBS probably more.

Holdfasts are American made, work better/equal, and are way more comfy IMO..
    Stop making so much sense, man.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I wanted to say that but couldn't think of a way to do so that wouldn't sound hipsteryNaaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    I think I'ma just shut up and buy some, I already have BMX-style pedals anyway.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2012 edited

shut up and buy em.
    (i just ordered a pair today too hahah. purple&black!)

i was pretty mad at how little my cages did yesterday in terms of retention for climbin some rolling hills.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    seanile mick:(i just ordered a pair today too hahah. purple&black!)

Hands off my steez, sean.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    but it's so warm and supple.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Do any of you use Holdfasts with metal pedals? Do you use those B-side reinforcement things? Looks like I could make about the same thing out of an old tube for free.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    i'm gonna wrap some duct tape around the strap where it contacts the pedal (the ones i plan to use are metal)somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    I've got the fyxation (not as good) ones on (painted) metal pedals, they aren't showing any wear after 4 months. the old tube idea is a good one for sure.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgrdnstofmnd
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2012 edited

considering buying this...thoughts?tristan - thats fucking rad dude, I'm happy for you.
    Old tubes are good for SO MANY THINGS.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Anyone know anything about Norco bikes?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Mixed reviews from what I've read on PinkBike and whatnot.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2012 edited

Crosspost from the touring thread.

So, I wanna bike down to Philly next week. From experience biking around the northeast and down to NYC before, it really sucks missing all the winding back roads in New England, hence, i want a GPS, i was thinking of the Garmin eTrex 20. Does anybody have experience with this, or garmin's eTrex line in general? Can you load road maps onto them? Any advice for navigating bicycle via GPS? I don't really want to drop $500 on a cycling specific one (garmin edge 800 which was a previous recommendation on this thread), but need something functional, has capability for road display, preferably runs of of double/triple a batteries, waterproof... so, basically the etrex 20, just don't know how it will actually work in practice.unstuck in time
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012 edited

grdnstofmnd:considering buying this...thoughts?
    only marginally related:

"Being a nerd isn’t about pocket protectors and wheezing in front of pretty girls anymore. No, in this day and age it’s about getting stoked on that which is newer, faster, and better across the world that is outdoor sports."

WHAT
    I like balls. Sweaty, hairy balls.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    REAL COOL BRO.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    MORE LIEK PAWLLSSSSYou said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    Recommendations for a hatch-mounting bike rack? Needs to fit a Mazda3 hatchback, prefer 3-4 bike capacity, prefer something they carry at REI (getting a gift card).

I wanted to do a roof-mount system but that's gonna be way too expensive.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    The new Thule stuff is pretty nice imho.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Yeah, I'm looking at the Thule Gateway 3 currently.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2012

Trunk/hatch mounted bike racks skeeve me out. A roof system is absolutely worth the money.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    I believe you, but daycare just started. Ain't no money no mo'. And I need to carry sw33t fixi3s down to Jersey next month.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorFancy
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2012

surprisefries:Yeah, I'm looking at the Thule Gateway 3 currently.

my in-laws got us a thule rear rack maybe 4 years ago and it's still going strong; even with kelly's heavy ass hybrid on there. the new ones look majorly improved.

also when will you be in the jerz! we're going for a week in august too.
    Decent inexpensive gloves for the fall?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Way too late on the bike rack question, but for future reference... I had a Yakima I liked. Then I backed over it while moving stuff from one apartment to another. It wasn't so useful after that.
    ^^I love the Pearl izumi Divide gloves.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2012

Saris bones all the way
    Saris T-Bones if it's a hitch and not more than 3 bikes.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men%27s-Power-Stretch%C2%AE-Glove/OM2860,default,pd.html

Im on my second pair bc they kindly waranteed the first. Are the best thin gloves that keep your hands warm LITERALLY EVER.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    That oddball ebay cross frame is going to go for a bit too much for this guy. Suggestions for non-cross-check, budget frames with canti posts and big clearances? I kinda like the look of the Salsa Casseroll. Opinions?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

define "budget"....

cause this sucker is local and a pretty unknown (but really good) custom builder...so it may go "cheap"RIDE METAL
    yeah that's that shit i'm eyein'/gonna bid on. might be outta my price range at the moment. next week, after a paycheck, maybe a different story.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

sign up for bill me later through paypal...paypal credit card...very handy. also interest free for certain periods of time if you buy something for a certain amount of money...also bill me later also gets you an extra 1-2% of ebay bucks usually...i use it to pay for pretty much everything i buy on ebay, them pay it off when i have the loot.RIDE METAL
    interesting. we'll see what I decide. my cash-under-the-mattress method isn't earning me shit!You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    Take half your money, put it in a mayonnaise jar and bury it in the back yard. Take the other half down to the dog track and bet it all on the one that does his business right before the race.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    is suffolk downs dog, thoroughbred, or harness racing?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlitz
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2012 edited

Thoroughbred.

Source: http://bit.ly/QFycfW
    sufflok!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlitz
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2012

fixed!
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2012

Its all cruel
    Dog racing is banned in mae-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    I knew nobody would get my Jeff Foxworthy reference.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2012

It was clear it was a reference/quote but yes, I doubt anyone on here would know that it was from him.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    WHATEVER MAN.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2012 edited

I learned to my chagrin this morning that I apparently threw out my cold rain tights at the end of the season last year. I'm looking for new ones for COMMUTING only.

Here's my deal: summer rain, I wear shorts. cold and/orsnow, I wear wool leggings and/or regular pants. Cold and WET (defined by: raining but too cold to just "get wet", incl today) I prefer tights to [rain]pants because they don't get soggy and heavy and floppy. So I'm looking for tights that will keep me warm enough in rain between 60-30 degrees F. They def don't need to be waterPROOF, but maybe some beading of moisture would be nice. Also I know synthetics don't maintain a ton of warmth when wet, so there's that. I'm a little concerned that "winter tights" would be too hot on days like today - this seems like something someone here could answer.

I'm looking at these Terrys and these Gore, but would appreciate input.

mercii mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy