Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

We have a few dads on here, what are the important lessons you've learned?

#1 It doesn't matter if you spent 4 hours building the lego castle, It doesn't belong to youTake-off everything but your rainboots
    serf vs lord.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    This thread is relevant to my interests.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2011

We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    this thread is going to make me want kids even less, I can feel it.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    can a mod block this^ thingsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorboundgear
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2011

They are a conveyor belts for food.
    food in, poop out. bottom line, when they poop, they're hungry. When they eat, they poop. Rinse. Repeat.

but mine's only 7 weeks old, so I don't know much yet.

oh, and ladies love to talk to a man with a baby strapped to his chest.
    And cars will let you cross the road without running you over.
    • CommentAuthorowen
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2011

^I just found out that everything here also applies to having a puppy.
    boundgear:oh, and ladies love to talk to a man with a baby strapped to his chest.
    And cars will let you cross the road without running you over.

For whatever reason the same does not necessarily apply when the kid is in a stroller... but strapped to you it's all smiles from the ladies.

I've noticed that, for whatever reason, hipster-dufus guys in packs and collegiate/recently ex-collegiate white women (again, usually in groups) will not break ranks to let someone with a stroller pass.

From now on I'm just going to stop, immediately in said ladies' path, and make them go around me. Hipster-dufuses I shall assault with the stroller.

All other people seem to be very polite.
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2012

strollers give +3 to assaultI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    boundgear:And cars will let you cross the road without running you over.

this is a BAD FUCKING IDEA.
    your baby is not a buffer for you to jaywalk whenever and wherever the fuck you feel like. and having a small child is worse because young kids don't have fully developed depth perception, so you're teaching them that it's ok to just walk into the streets.

if i'm on a bike and someone does this i yell very clearly 'YOU'RE A BAD PARENT', because that gets them thinking a lot more than 'hey asshole'
    • CommentAuthorboundgear
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2012

kilgore_trout:
    this is a BAD FUCKING IDEA.
    your baby is not a blah blah blah

Sweetheart, crossing with a green walking guy on the indicator, at a crosswalk, with a red light, holding a cop's hand, with a crossing blowing their whistle is not a guarantee that people won't mow you down in boston. Not sure if you noticed, but peds, bikes, and cars are all in a state of armed neutrality in this lovely burgh. I'm not talking about walking between buses while throwing boogers at drivers on mass ave.

I'm talking about where it's legal, but cars choose to pretend they have the right of way. They suddenly remember that those meat popsicles out front of their cars are people.

Soylent pedestrians are made of people!
    boundgear:I'm not talking about walking between buses while throwing boogers at drivers on mass ave.
    sigged, thank you.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2012 edited

I got a daddy question for the board: I still have 6 months before she's legal (apparently in MA kids aren't supposed to be carried on bicycles until they're 1), but I'm beginning to plot a plan for carrying the little one on a bike, in the hopes that maybe I'll get to ride more if she can come along. I like the look of the kid catapult thing (the plastic tub seats that sit on the TT just behind the HT), in that it looks way more stable than the "off the back" kid bike seats they had when I was a tyke. I'm not that keen on a burley-style trailer, but I'm open to suggestion I suppose.

For the kid catapult, any suggestions as to what kind of bike I should be looking for to attach the kid seat to?

My current bikes pretty much wouldn't work for one reason or another (vintage and not something I want to scratch, beloved old track bike, aluminum CX with carbon fork). I do have my wife's late grandfather's old Raleigh Supercourse, but that would require some retrofitting (he had it set up with a SA-5 speed with the stick shift on the TT). I was thinking perhaps I should be on the lookout for a cheap older MTB, maybe a lesser Bridgestone or something?
    I plan on using my mtb for this, but I haven't thought about it too much yet since I have another 4.5 months before the thing's even born. It's also going to require a lot of negotiating with Mrs.Fries who is suuper hesitant about anything regarding putting FutureFries on a bike in any way.

Anyway.

There's an article in the Patch with some links that look useful.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    oh hold on, problem solved!
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Cool, thanks for that link... makes me think I was right that the reason for the "1 year old" rule in MA is getting-a-helmet-to-fit-related, which would be a non-issue for my kid (huge honkin' head). My wife (the wrong kind of doctor) was speculating that perhaps it was some sort of neck/spine thing... and I'm really reticent to ask our pediatrician.

You should track down the "crazy-kid-and-baby-hauling-momma" lady who I see on McGrath/Highland from time to time: she usually has at least 3 kids on her bike in various ways. She could convince Mrs. Fries that it's a-ok!
    Blobar:I got a daddy question for the board: I still have 6 months before she's legal...

Was I the only one that cringed at this lead?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    older mtb would be better i think. they usually rocked a long TT and the fat tires could be nice and comfy for you and the kid.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    dont get a front mount, 80% of accidents are you hitting something! get a co-pilot and get a double kickstand.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/family/blog/2008/10/cycling_on_the.html
    I'm quoted!Take-off everything but your rainboots
    paul jameson:
    Blobar:I got a daddy question for the board: I still have 6 months before she's legal...

Was I the only one that cringed at this lead?

No. No you were not.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    paul jameson:

Was I the only one that cringed at this lead?

neeeewp.

Also: This is how I will be hauling my cats and soaring stacks of old newspapers when I am an adult: http://www.madsencycles.com/i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Stormy Arthur:dont get a front mount, 80% of accidents are you hitting something! get a co-pilot and get a double kickstand.!

Obviously I'm damning myself to run headlong into various objects on every ride I take in the foreseeable future, but while I don't doubt that you're statistically correct, it's been rare that I've crashed into something (ok, there was a curb two years ago when I was looking behind me to determine what object I'd run into in the street... but before that it was the mid 90s).

Still, your comment in the article about kid catapults not passing safety tests... that'll at least make me investigate other options. Thanks!
    PS: I take no responsibility for your dirty minds!
    ^i'm kinda misquoted there, but the CPA would not ok. I'm not sure if they do or not now. But we do sell them now, everyone in the shop thinks they suckTake-off everything but your rainboots
    Ah.

I have to admit, I think I only saw people riding bikes with kid catapults, and they were far enough away that I never looked at them that carefully... looking online they look kinda scary (the worst being the stem mounted one).

I'd imagine they also throw off braking in a hard stop situation?

I just remember hating riding in the backmounted kind as a kid, and having someone moving around on the back of the bike seemed to throw off balance. I suppose a longer wheelbase might compensate. I remember my parents both had Free Spirits when I was a kid, but that's about all I remember about them.

Also, I think it's fair to presume I'm a better cyclist than my parents and would get used to whatever.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012

Be 1/2 the boss this guy is."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2012 edited

^
    somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012

I'm going to start replying to every new thread on bfixed with "in before spambot"
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012 edited

dammit, now i want to buy a tiffany necklacesomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012

I have a pearl one I'll give you for free.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    the best.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2012 edited

seanile mick:^

that makes me a little straighter every time I see it

like, even with the hairi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Really? I don't find him attractive at all.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    notes for tristan and marianna's relationship to blossom further:
    marianna needs to buy a mountain bike and ride it while wearing a jane fonda style leotard
    tristan needs to get fire hair and win the olympics a lotsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2012

Ill get on that.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2012

p.s. funniest thing Ive read in a long time. Thanks, Seanascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    ;]somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    i love how otherdude jumps UNDER phelps's arm.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Any suggestions on bicycle storage once a tyke is relatively mobile? I fear walking away for a few seconds and coming back to find her gumming my chain.

I was thinking I'd just cram all of the active bikes in a back bedroom and keep the door closed...
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2012

we don't give a shit about yer fuckin' brats. we really don't. and yer fuckin' baby carriers? get them the fuck outta my way. and when they shriek? i wanna kill them. fuck yer kids. hahahahahhahahahaha. til i have a seed. then i'll love 'em! i don't know. i'm neutral. dang! kidz? maybe.
    Yeah, I co-opted the pantry for bicycle storage. But I'ma have to figure out a way to secure the door in, i dunno, like several months or something. Children, how the fuck do they work?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012 edited

brunop:we don't give a shit about yer fuckin' brats. we really don't. and yer fuckin' baby carriers? get them the fuck outta my way. and when they shriek? i wanna kill them. fuck yer kids. hahahahahhahahahaha. til i have a seed. then i'll love 'em! i don't know. i'm neutral. dang! kidz? maybe.

That's it, you better watch your back when you're riding down Washington St near Dane... some one of these days I'm gonna chase ya down with my babycarriage! Then I'll let my kid gum your shifters. SLOBBER.

This is what you will see right before it's too late to protect your beloved shifters

Craaazy Lucy
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012

Every time this thread bumped, I read it as Daddy Lesions."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    Brilliant.
    it's hilarious imagining that sign being for babyfries.
    In order to not clutter the Tag'n'Brag thread even more:
    Cheez:
    surprisefries:I think I am slowly convincing Mrs. Fries that we need a trailer.

eta: And that it's okay to put Babyfries in it. When he's a little older.

In general I like the trailer pretty well, it's easy to forget that it's there (not in a bad way) when you're not climbing/getting started. The single-width is just a little wider than my shoulders (although I'd be hardpressed to carry cargo along with her). Be prepared for the fact that he may not be keen on it for long periods in the beginning. One of my wife's coworkers has one for her son (4 now I think) and he didn't like it for awhile. Lucy likes it ok most of the time, but still does tend to slouch and get fussy (she was happy to get out at the 2nd tag, and then fussed a little on the way home... 16.5 miles though, not too bad).

When did you start putting her in there? Closer to the time that's good for a real stroller (can sit up without help, ish), or closer to the time that's good for going in a copilot-type seat (supposedly 1yr-ish)?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    She was just about 11 months to the day. Definite improvement since (coming up on 14 months).
    "The One Thing Standing in the Way of Your Baby Walking"somebody turn the lights off on this place already.