Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2011 edited

Alright, so I was thinking about watching at least one hood movie every week until I've watched or rewatched the biggies of the genre. I'm focused strictly on late 80s-mid 90s flicks.
    I figured I might as well invite you all over and make a thing about it.
    Tentative schedule:
    Tues 12/27 - Boyz N' The Hood
    Tues 1/3 - Dead Presidents
    TBA - Above the Rim
    TBA - South Central
    TBA - Bluehill Avenue (set in Roxbury)
    TBA - Menace II Society
    TBA - Juice
    TBA - Don't be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood

I will also be including Set it Off, Poetic Justice, and Gridlock'd, but I don't know how far out I can commit to this. I figure 8 weeks is solid.

Anybody interested?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    YUPNaaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Kinda different I guess, but what... no Colors?

I feel like there's another one that I should be naming, but it's not coming to me.
    New jack City!Take-off everything but your rainboots
    i'm down to watch some films... i'd suggest "bamboozled" and "do the right thing" be considered as well
    ^ I have seen do the right thing way to many fucking times

I suggest "people under the stairs"Take-off everything but your rainboots
    Thoroughly down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2011 edited

New Jack City and Colors are also excellent ideas. Bamboozled is outside of my time frame, but DTRT could be in there. (Also: isn't People Under The Stairs out of theme, Alexi? I mean I know it's a big metaphor, but you're going to have to convince me it's a hood movie.)
    How about whoever is at the current week's viewing votes on the next from our full list and we play it week by week from the third week on?
    The big finale might have to be a Fear of a Black Hat/High School High/Don't Be a Menace spoofathon.
    I'll either be renting from Underground or projecting from the laptop unless anyone can bring these over on DVD or VHS.

8pm this Tuesday, 12/27, my place, Boyz N The Hood. I will supply 1-2 bags of microwave popcorn. BYO-40.
    (Whisper for address)We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    The Warriors must be added to that list, even if it is 1979. It's fucking epic.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    I'll try to get a kitchen pass this Tues, then I can try on the TSB gear too.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Honkey Joe,
    People under the stairs is allegory about the literal consumption of the Poor-Urban-Black® population by greedy White-Bread-Mofos®. It is Manchild in The Promise Land for a new generation, it speaks to the heart and soul of all oppressed People of Color®. Just to be clear Asians® are not People of Color®, they have their own god-damn movies.
    Peace,
    Brother Alexi XTake-off everything but your rainboots
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2011

In.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorspokenword

Stormy Arthur:Just to be clear Asians® are not People of Color®, they have their own god-damn movies.
    Just to be clear, Harold and Kumar is not an acceptable Asian People In the Hood movie.

Joe, I've been wanting to see Dead Presidents for a while. Consider me in for 1/3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs

I think I can do it. So 80% in.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

clockwork ted:"do the right thing"

totes!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    90% in, will bring a case of Yuengling. Assistance biking it down from Cambridge would be awesome.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2011

spokenword:
    Stormy Arthur:Just to be clear Asians® are not People of Color®, they have their own god-damn movies.
    Just to be clear, Harold and Kumar is not an acceptable Asian People In the Hood movie.

i resent that. i think.

closest movies that i think of that are "in the hood," asian style: infernal affairs, brother, and one other movie i can't remember the name of, but has about half an hour worth of people getting violently stabbed in the stomach. oh well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Stormy Arthur:Honkey Joe,
    People under the stairs is allegory about the literal consumption of the Poor-Urban-Black® population by greedy White-Bread-Mofos®. It is Manchild in The Promise Land for a new generation, it speaks to the heart and soul of all oppressed People of Color®. Just to be clear Asians® are not People of Color®, they have their own god-damn movies.
    Peace,
    Brother Alexi X

We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorspokenword

smoothness:closest movies that i think of that are "in the hood," asian style: infernal affairs, brother, and one other movie i can't remember the name of, but has about half an hour worth of people getting violently stabbed in the stomach. oh well.
    Well, that's a good question, isn't it? Most 'in the hood' movies are about outsider ethnicities struggling against stereotypes, trapped by circumstances and usually faced with some sort of Hobson's choice between a life of prosperous crime and virtuous poverty. It's usually an ensemble cast (at a minimum you ought to portray both the good two-shoes dude who tries to do the right thing and the reckless hothead who moves the plot forward with getting our hero into a steady series of bad ideas) and The Law is usually represented as this sort of faceless, merciless force that exists outside the 'hood regulating on a thug's hubris: a 'nemesis' in the tradition of classic Greek tragedy.

So, in that vein for Asian folks, you're maybe just talking about Better Luck Tomorrow or (if you want to take this out of the US) Slumdog Millionaire. You can also add in Gran Torino if you're being open-minded.

However, if you expand the definition to be "cops vs. a criminal subculture" like New Jack City or Colors, then sure, the entire oeuvre of Asian gangster films begins to open up: Infernal Affairs, Hardboiled, Johnnie To's Election. But then you're starting to bleed over from 'hood movies' to 'mob movies'. If you want to keep it specifically to white people vs. Not-So-White people, then you're looking at say: Black Rain, Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift, and Big Trouble in Little China.
    ^there are asians in falling downTake-off everything but your rainboots
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2011

Warm and rainy tomorrow nightI have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Falling Down is one of my favorite movies.

I'll be there with some Yuengling, maybe not a whole case but enough to share.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    DMNQ: what time?

THE COMMODORE:
    8pm this Tuesday, 12/27, my place, Boyz N The Hood. I will supply 1-2 bags of microwave popcorn. BYO-40.
    (Whisper for address)
    • CommentAuthorLyzard
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2011

surprisefries: I'll ride with you from Cambridge to bring some Yeunglings on my rack :-)
    I also need to try on bibs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Boyz n the Hood was out at the video store and I don't have a good way of showing it off of my computer and I wanted to support an independent brick and mortar business, so we're watching Dead Presidents instead. Get your facepaint on.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Sweet! I'm in Kendall until it's time to head down, I managed to get 2/3 of a case into my huge bag, but I wouldn't mind splitting it up, especially since my rear wheel has a broken spoke and a little wobble.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness

sigh, wish i had caught spokenword's response earlier - now i look like a dick. lol @ tokyo drift, b/c in the end the hick wins. but yes, there is a separation between "mob family" and "family family"; it just so happens that many of the plots begin with siblings saving each other from dire consequences. wish i could go...but i'm busy trying to choose a bathtub.
    damn i can't make it tonight but i was all like "i've seen boyz n the hood enough times that it's okay, i'll just make it to dead presidents and it'll be all good..." so much for that idea. have fun, y'all.
    • CommentAuthorben

Ended up watching Friday so you may be safe for Dead Presidents.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries