Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012

bad sean, bad."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012

fatty oldman:this was such an awesome event of perfect-timing:
    so im watching a suspenseful moment of a tv show on my computer and the fbi just caught this bad guy.
    and as he stands up and raises his hands with a really cold glare, i hear from an ad banner, "congratulations! you won!"

omg i died
    Why do you not have adblock?I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    because i need positive reinforcement in my lifesomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2012 edited

saw a "Cheleste" Pista with matching "Cheleste" saddle and Aerospoke. Black dude also had a matching "Cheleste" New Era, and I think his shoes were "Cheleste" too. That, or his straps and pedals were also "Cheleste". The rest of his clothes were ridiculously white, like middle America. COLOURWAYS, (word people are now super touchy about typing).
    Cheleste (N): The color Celeste, with spelling altered due to reading a bunch of BF C&Vers arguing how to say it verbally; I now hear that in my head every time I read it. Hopefully you will too.

Sorta like the time 6kidz told me Tange was pronounced "Tahn Ghey"/"Taahn Guh;" everytime I say it that way, I feel like smacking myself in the face for sounding like a genital hygiene product. I'm not Japanese, so I'm not going to even bother with butchering the pronunciation anymore.
    David Ganzi's Pro Tip: pronounce all bike words like they're Italian, it will make your life better. Example BioPace becomes "Bee-o-Pah-chay".You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    paul jameson:David Ganzi's Pro Tip: pronounce all bike words like they're Italian, it will make your life better. Example BioPace becomes "Bee-o-Pah-chay".

QFT. also, the pista smoothness is talking about may have been sighted at the black falcon crit on thursday. there was a dude HAMMERING on one with an errorspoke, and i can't say i see that setup often.
    there a chance it was this?

because eric thompson is a beast on that shit.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Dur-ah-CHAY
    ^ I dated a turkish girl who's name was pronounced Dur-ah-CHAY. it had k's and J's in itTake-off everything but your rainboots
    clockwork ted:
    paul jameson:David Ganzi's Pro Tip: pronounce all bike words like they're Italian, it will make your life better. Example BioPace becomes "Bee-o-Pah-chay".

QFT. also, the pista smoothness is talking about may have been sighted at the black falcon crit on thursday. there was a dude HAMMERING on one with an errorspoke, and i can't say i see that setup often.

Yeah, I think this is the guy and the bike:

I spotted him from across the street from my place when that picture was taken and then again in BMC kit near Mass. AVE and Boylston ST before the crit last week. Then there he was at the race:

• CommentTimeApr 8th 2012 edited

^
    TIL: there are riders who look dapper as fuck and can/will eat you alive. that, or his BMC kit is a double disguise. either way, i'm slow as poop after a box of bran flakes on a sunday morning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2012 edited

Source: http://poorlydrawnlines.com/comic/tiny-hippo-and-the-tiny-train/We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    ^ Amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2012

Stack of paper and belt sander. Neat! Via reddit."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    EVERYTHING YOU POST IS VIA REDDITYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

Ella, if you want dick pix so bad just whisper me."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    so. bad.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Here you go, Ella:

We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks

•  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx

BOOMBOOMBOOMLEMEEHEARYOUSAYWAAYYOOOO-SFW-Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    i always found it odd that moby dick was a white sperm whale...somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    clockwork ted:^"Herman Melville's Moby-Dick is fraught with sexual imagery": an essay

I give that essay 2 thumbs downTake-off everything but your rainboots
    Stormy Arthur:
    clockwork ted:^"Herman Melville's Moby-Dick is fraught with sexual imagery": an essay

I give that essay 2 thumbs down

my college roommate took a course almost entirely dedicated to the sexual themes of moby dick and i was hoping to find something much more convincing, but then got bored of looking and put the first thing i found up. one thing i remember is he started referring to masturbation as "polishing the underside of the boat" or something to that effect from that point on.
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012 edited

A more useful essay would be "Why the Extremely Obvious Sexual Innuendos in Moby Dick Are Not Attributable to Cultural Differences"

edit: and no, I didn't read it.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012

"Moby Dick: An Exploratory on How Captain Ahab is a Bukkake Fiending Size Queen."

Wait, were we supposed to be subtle about our imaginary titles? I also did not read the essay.
    in all seriousness, can we talk about how herman melville is a FUCKING GENIUS but has one of the most boring prose-styles in the american canon?

rob, conor, back me up here
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I have a novelist friend who claims the solution to every problem you'll ever have as a writer can be found in Moby Dick.

And before we get too excitable in our litcrit class about Melville's innuendo, it's worth knowing that the slang for "dick" referring to one's penis didn't enter the lexicon until nearly a half century after MD was published. So the "Dick" and "sperm" connection is entirely anachronistic.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    but doesn't much of ahab's anger come from the fact that it's hinted at moby dick may have taken not only his leg but his manhood as well?
    kilgore_trout:but doesn't much of ahab's anger come from the fact that it's hinted at moby dick may have taken not only his leg but his manhood as well?

Therefore, making his dick mobile?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdb4NyHdFfE
    •  

nerdo:I have a novelist friend who claims the solution to every problem you'll ever have as a writer can be found in Moby Dick.

And before we get too excitable in our litcrit class about Melville's innuendo, it's worth knowing that the slang for "dick" referring to one's penis didn't enter the lexicon until nearly a half century after MD was published. So the "Dick" and "sperm" connection is entirely anachronistic.

Still though.

And also: The word "sperm" is short for spermatozoon, a mature male reproductive cell. The word appropriately symbolizes the all male crew by referring to the biological essence of masculinity. Um, false? He only writes a MILLION times that sperm is short for spermaceti. Which still kinda means sperm BUT STILL.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

kilgore_trout:in all seriousness, can we talk about how herman melville is a FUCKING GENIUS but has one of the most boring prose-styles in the american canon?

I'll back you up on it. Bartleby the Scrivener and Benito Cereno are two of my favorite short stories of all time, but they are so goddamned laborious to read it's maddening. I am currently only half way through Moby Dick for the same reason. I love it so much, but I just keep having to put it down because I start zoning out when I'm even the slightest bit tired.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

tinyhonkshus:
    Still though.

And also: The word "sperm" is short for spermatozoon, a mature male reproductive cell. The word appropriately symbolizes the all male crew by referring to the biological essence of masculinity. Um, false? He only writes a MILLION times that sperm is short for spermaceti. Which still kinda means sperm BUT STILL.

Yes, although sperm whales get the name from the fact that their spermaceti resembles spermatozoon, and I'm sure Melville made something of that at some point with his symbolism-y tendencies. But, yes, whoever wrote that essay is a total knucklehead.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  

That essay just reminds me of everything I hated about high school English - how you can't be like "well maybe the author meant this" you have to be like "OBVIOUSLY THE AUTHOR MEANT THIS"

related: Moby Dick is available on Librivox, for those with eyelid-weight issuesi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    If you can't make it thru Moby Dick you are weakTake-off everything but your rainboots
    but it's so harrrrrdddddd.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Are we still making sexual innuendo?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Joey, I'm down with Bartleby. It rocks.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Oh. And Joyce. Dubliners.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Every time i finished a story in dubliners and felt like i had an inkling of what joyce was really getting at, i gave myself a pat on the backthis life may not be for you - ridecrazy
    joeyfresh:
    kilgore_trout:in all seriousness, can we talk about how herman melville is a FUCKING GENIUS but has one of the most boring prose-styles in the american canon?

I'll back you up on it. Bartleby the Scrivener and Benito Cereno are two of my favorite short stories of all time, but they are so goddamned laborious to read it's maddening. I am currently only half way through Moby Dick for the same reason. I love it so much, but I just keep having to put it down because I start zoning out when I'm even the slightest bit tired.

Typee and Omoo are both great 'adventure tales' as well, but on a sentence to sentence-page to page basis it's horribly slow.

moby dick is definitely one of those 'need to read the annotated version 2 or 3 times' kind of books, even to just begin to scratch the surface of the complexity of the new england melville depicts.

sedition, this is not a conversation about great works of literature, it's a conversation about great works of literature that have a regrettably slow/boring prose style. joyce does not fit into that category
    I have read moby dick at least 7 times, and i am just scratching the surface

oh and Billy Budd, Billy "fist like a ham" Budd.Take-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

kilgore_trout:joyce does not fit into that category

Agreed.

Would anyone seriously consider a monthly bfixed book club?
    Ride to Castle Island or take up a table at Galway House, drink beer, and talk about a preassigned book for 2 or 3 hours on a week night?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    i would seriously consider a monthly bfixed book club
    joeyfresh:
    kilgore_trout:joyce does not fit into that category

Agreed.

Would anyone seriously consider a monthly bfixed book club?
    Ride to Castle Island or take up a table at Galway House, drink beer, and talk about a preassigned book for 2 or 3 hours on a week night?

I have tried to get a book club started at least 4 times with no luck :(Take-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012 edited

Well there are at least three of us, so I'd say that's a start.
    Shall we begin with Moby Dick?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012

Only if we can play this every time.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    nerdo:Only if we can play this every time.

I got 9 out of 10Take-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

nerdo:Only if we can play this every time.
    Done.
    We could do readings aloud.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx

form a new thread nerds, I want this one to have more funny stuff.

Here's a total chooch with a pony-tail, doing what dudes with pony-tails do best: riding a unicycle while playing basketball.
    dunk the ball, rookieExcept our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.