Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Starting this so we can organize separate from the 6am ride.tristan - thats fucking rad dude, I'm happy for you.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/213169195450849/this life may not be for you - ridecrazy
    we can pick a place to meet before heading into south station to ride together, and then maybe pick a place to stop at afterward to relax a bit and grab a soda and snacktristan - thats fucking rad dude, I'm happy for you.
    yeah, i know people have gone to south street diner after. i m not sure if im doing this or the morning ride yet though.this life may not be for you - ridecrazy
    • CommentAuthorthehum
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2012 edited

Click image or here for details

I am the founder/organizer of the midnight ride. 250 people came out last year, hope I see each and every one of you there.

Free Red Bull at south station from 5-6pm, 9:30-10:30pm. Discounts on Hubway and Urban Adventours for bike rentals. There will be a group of guys riding hubways. Overall, ride should be EPIC.theHum
    I'm going to be at this ride, trying to workout a carpool with some friends to give more space on the commuter rail. The roads aren't actually closed at midnight, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2012

I am giddy with excitement for this."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2012

josh_truant:I'm going to be at this ride, trying to workout a carpool with some friends to give more space on the commuter rail. The roads aren't actually closed at midnight, right?

Roads aren't closed at midnight.

Road closure schedule: http://www.boston.com/sports/marathon/course/streetclosings/
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2012

I think I'm going. Say hi if you see a guy on a black be-stickered Steamroller with a basket in front. I'll probably be with a guy on a chopper bike.
    what guy on what chopper?
    You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2012

studyourheart:what guy on what chopper?

Wombat. I heard you might be riding out and back again instead of the train? What time would you be leaving? I'm only going if another guy in my band wants to go (he mentioned it before) but I'd feel guilty ditching practice right before a show on tuesday unless he comes too :3 Trying to get Nosepicker to come too but he has to work monday morning so probably not.
    Is there a time/place ya'll want to meet? My ride fell through so it looks like i'll be cramming on the train with the riff raff.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012

tinhat: black be-stickered Steamroller with a basket in front

BIKE TWINSIES!!!

i was hoping nosepicker would come :(Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2013

Bump.

The night of Sunday, April 14th.
    Who's in?
    And where is Greg Hum?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    WOOONaaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Update on Boston Biker: special, bike-only, express train to Southborough this yeari mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ^thats awesome'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2013

tinyhonkshus:Update on Boston Biker: special, bike-only, express train to Southborough this year

They had that last year too.unstuck in time
    I thought they just took over the train last year and had to call in a second one?Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    ^yepsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.

Nope. Greg and co' was in touch with MBTA ahead of time, they agreed beforehand to have a special, bike-specific train that night. Then, when they saw how many people showed up, they commandeered another train.unstuck in time
    hmm.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

why does facebook say it's $15? was it $15 last year?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

It's a couple of dollars higher than the normal train fare, but that's because they're doing it all special for us. It's a good thing. More money for the MBTA is also a good thing. There is nothing to complain about here.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    This ride sounds awesome- I'm definitely going to try to make it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrmull
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2013

Is there an early bird ride like there was last year? If I recall correctly there was a group departing south station at 6PM, but I don't see anything about an early departure this year.
    I wasn't able to make it to the station Monday or Tuesday- no tickets left! Who here got in?
    So my dad, the cutest person alive, wants to see the bike ride. He'd be watching from approximately where 16 hits 135 in Wellesley (actually where State St. hits 16) because he can park at a friend's house. Does anyone have a good estimate for pace? Or leaving time? (i.e. will people be leaving at midnight, or whenever the train arrives?)i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Anyone without tickets down to ride out this evening and chill till the train gets there?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2013 edited

edit: just saw the team slow bike thread nevermind

Has anyone done the dawn ride and know the logistics- i.e. what time approximately we should leave the start line so we don't get kicked off?

Also is anyone doing the dawn ride?
    riding there on bike. doing this

if want to join: 617, five 0 one, six eight eight 0
    • CommentAuthorroburrito
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2013

Looks like Central st (rt135?) goes most of the way. I've been debating the ride. Didn't like the 2+ hours waiting to load onto the train last year. Might go if people wanted to meet somewhere.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2013

For people biking out for the midnight ride, what time are you all leaving?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorbaker
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2013

I did not realize how downhill the course was! Super cruisey and fun. Would have been neat to ride fixed - saw a bunch and was briefly envious. The morning ride out & back would have been significantly more challenging!I am the reason your son is crying.
    Fixed sucked when i did it a few years back - albeit I'm in much better shape now. Waay too spinny on the hills...Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2013 edited

I did it fixed last night. I was riding a different route at the beginning, sprinting to the train tracks to keep you all from falling down. SO I didnt have the same downhill you all had at the beginning. But the rest of the course after that wasnt too bad. Amazing actually. ((EDIT: Uphills kinda sucked. but i kept up with most of the geared folks i was riding with. Slower than them to start, got to the top around the same time. ))

Riding sweep, didnt get in til around 4ish AM. But apparently overall riding time was 1:57, max speed 30mph, avg 14. good times.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    I was fine doing it (morning out and back) fixed at 48x19 a few years ago. Shah at 52x14(ish) had a rougher time.

Great ride this morning despite not being able to feel my toes for most of it.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorsourman
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2013

YEAH those cold feet got really brutal!
    I rode it on a fixed and loved it. I was able to do it in 1h24m with 48x16. It does get a bit "spinny" at parts, but nothing dramatically steep, and traffic was more or less just the bikes riding. I would definitely love to try it on a proper road bike with gears however haha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2013 edited

Did it last year on 52x16 fixed, which was absolutely fine on the uphills and not ridiculously spinny on the downhills.

But this year I took the road bike to do the out-and-back ride. (It wouldn't have been fun to ride fixed for the mostly-uphill ride from Boston to Hopkinton.) We gathered at 500 Boylston and left at 7pm from the finish line, together with the Ride Crazy Boston people, per the Team Slow Bike Facebook post.

By the way, TJ's Food and Drink in Ashland (right before the Hopkinton border) shall forever be the official dinner spot of the out-and-back ride from now on. If you ride anywhere near there, give these people your business. My conversation with waitress:
    Me: "I really want to take your recommendation of the Chicken Parm, but before I commit to it, can you tell me... is it HUGE?"
    Waitress: "Yes. That's why I recommended it."::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    Bumping this as it's going to be next month. Also, because I just saw this news:

No Special Trains for this year's Midnight Marathon Bike Ride because security. Terrorists declare victory.

I'm personally planning on just driving out there and then riding back to get my car. I promised a friend a ride out there, but if they bail, then I'm also down with just doing a 9 pm Copley start to meet in Hopkinton before midnight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2014

Heard they're planning to close roads several days before the marathon, I'm really glad I'll be far away this year. Riding from Boston makes more sense anyway, but it's a lot more fun as the sun rises. Too bad everything about the marathon sucks now, they should just abolish it."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    That's super unfortunate. The articles I just read allude to not allowing cyclists but I guess the only way to actually do that would be to close the roads well in advance. For the security of the motherland or whatever.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2014 edited

cyclists = terrorists, if they had excluded bikes from public roads all along then backpack bombs wouldn't have existed, or something."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Not that I plan to go down there (more trouble than it's worth for me even before nü sëcurïty), but it sounds like it'll be nice to have Newbury closed to traffic.

eta: was waiting for ^thatDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Somebody had to do it!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    That really stinks but I get it.
    Also I want to be really fucking far away from Boston this year.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK