Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

nerdo:

COP!clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    If you actually read the linked article, they say "Yeah, this is actually because having a bunch of bikes on the road at night is asking for trouble"i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2014

hey, they also effing said this about the morning of:

“units or groups such as military ruck-marchers and cyclists, who have sometimes joined on the course, will not be allowed to participate.”

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2014/02/27/marathon-tough-ruck-boston-rules/
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Ruck those guys!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorLyzard

So I guess this means no more pre-dawn rides to Hopkinton and riding the closed course on the way into Copley.
    Booo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Huh, I almost missed that sentence, that's some bullshit. Not like having a bunch of cars on the road all the damn time isn't."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2014 edited

We'll have to do it during the day, then, I guess?

But not allowing the ruck marchers to do it is shameful. They are the best people to have on the course if you're concerned about safety! But as Ben mentioned, this isn't about safety. It's about some idiotic *perception* of safety. This kind of crap is "letting the terrorists win."::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    I feel like 5pm-ish would be a nice, safe, well-lit timei mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    I'm going to wait and see what the actual rules from the BAA are actually going to be. Most of what I'm reading is the same stuff from the same press conference with vague references to "no bandits and no cyclists" during the race. Nothing so far about when the course gets locked down.

There's still a month, plenty of time to plan. Especially now that we don't have to worry about catching a train.
    ^Yeah, I couldn't find the actual rules anywhere either.

pocky:
    But not allowing the ruck marchers to do it is shameful. They are the best people to have on the course if you're concerned about safety! But as Ben mentioned, this isn't about safety. It's about some idiotic *perception* of safety. This kind of crap is "letting the terrorists win."

qftDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Hey you can all come on my PAUL REVERE MIDNIGHT RIDE the friday prior!

sorry, yeah this is kind of shittyNaaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014

I plan on doing the morning of ride as well. The last two years I've left Cleveland circle around ~5ish with a bunch of folks. Get out to Hopkington well before any course is closed -- but the vendors and starting pens are full of folks mulling about, and CARS EVERYWHERE. They usually kick us out by 730, and we get back to Boylston St to watch them release the wheelchairs onto the course. So, if they are allowing cars on the roads they cannot deny bikes on the roads. Fuck 'em.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    True, but it sounds like they might start closing roads earlier this year.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Security is fine and all but THE BOMBS CAME FROM THE AUDIENCE. If they want to prevent this kind of attack again, they should just BAN THE AUDIENCE.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    I would plan an alternate route if you are doing the morning ride. A few years ago Evan and I got pulled in Natick without smartphones or GPS and it was blechh. Even if you are satellite equipped, it might be worth IDing a nicer alt route in advance.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    F'sho. I only made it home by the luck of running into a couple roadies in the same situation who knew a way and let me tag along.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorroburrito

Its 26 miles of densely populated high traffic roads. The attack was by two guys on foot with backpacks. Impossible to prevent. Anything they do is security theater. I'm glad I'm in VA.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2014

Feature article about the Midnight Marathon Ride in Bicycling Magazine this month.

So proud of my boy thehum.
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    btw, current news on this is that the Midnight ride crew are securing a set of U-Hauls to load bikes into. They're going to park them near South Station and rider can drop off their bikes and get on the commuter rail. Uhauls will meet them at Hopkinton and unload bikes.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2014

Super sweet. I have a friend coming into town this weekend and we might want to do this. Anybody have a bike they'd lend a gentleman, 6'1" or so tall?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2014

nerdo:Super sweet. I have a friend coming into town this weekend and we might want to do this. Anybody have a bike they'd lend a gentleman, 6'1" or so tall?

Throwing this out there again. Anybody have a rig you wouldn't mind lending out? Or maybe a tandem. Tandem tallbike?? :-oWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    nerdo:

Throwing this out there again. Anybody have a rig you wouldn't mind lending out? Or maybe a tandem. Tandem tallbike?? :-o

Talk to me. Im tall and have bikes. Probably would have to meet me in David Square and ride south station.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

I also have a tandem, 56/58
    I was about to offer the 58cm bianchi I got out of a basement but it seems the shifting is pretty wonky/possibly fucked.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Who needs shifting?!

Glittersissy, what do you have? I can ride whatever. My friend might be a bit of a weakling.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2014 edited

I have a sweeeeet tandem that's basically 58/52.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    ^^Not me but it got kicked off the smallest cog and won't shift back down and is currently not pedalable.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Posting again. Its a 61cm nishiki with some hilariously narrow tires and aggressive riding position . It has nice gears and is pretty easy to pedal around though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2014

is the morning one still happening? or are we just going to get arrested for being terrorists?
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^^As it turns out, my friend isn't coming that weekend after all. Nards. But thanks for the offer!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorspokenword

^^ I believe that the Crack O Dawn guys are shifting their route and doing a ride in Lexington or something. Word is that road closures will happen early enough that a morning ride will not be tenable.

I'm planning on carpooling into Hopkinton with two other friends, and riding into the city, then riding back to grab the car. Fully expect that road closures will be setting in by then, and I'll probably have to improvise the return leg; but am up for company if anyone just wants to ride through Framingham and Hopkinton in the wee hours.
    Bump.

Probably gonna ride this with ride crazy boston.

https://www.facebook.com/events/697403040282573

Starts in copely and goes out to the start of the marathon and meets up with the midnight riders and comes back into town.

50ish miles there and back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2014

Definitely a good decision, Glittersissy:
    pocky:Seems like a 6am ride is probably shot for this year, but I can attest from my experience last year that doing the out-and-back on Sunday evening (with a dinner stop at TJ's Food and Spirits in Ashland, where the chicken parmesan is as big as your head, and then riding back with the Midnight Marathon crew) is absolutely worth doing.
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    Who's going out and back tonight? I'll be leaving around 9 or 10 from Boston.
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2014

Video from Sunday night/Monday morning. For all of the hand wringing and dramaz the preceded this event, the actual ride was a bloody blast, and a hell of a way of to bring in the spring.

So Many Lights
    looks like it was awesome.

Did anyone do the morning ride? Did it happen?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2014

After finishing, I turned around and rode back to Southboro to get my car and then drove back in. There were definitely a few pacelines on the road at 6/7am who looked like they left around 5 or 6. I caught up with someone later that day at a brunch who was on the morning ride but got pulled off the route at Coolidge Corner when she missed the road closure time.
    That's not so bad, until last year I'd never made it past Cleveland Circle. One year 'honks and I got kicked off in Natick. TSB f'sho.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2015

bump.

what's the deal with the midnight ride this year?
    Nuggetross:bump.

what's the deal with the midnight ride this year?

seems to be the largest out-n-back group together so far, which im sure will break into smaller sub groups

https://www.facebook.com/events/721826097940836/
    the Midnight Ride Lives!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2015

I'm staying in artist housing in Amherst right now for a gig I have in Amherst tomorrow afternoon that should be over by 5, so this times out well for the Midnight Marathon -- so I'm driving to Boston afterward and will do the out-'n'-back ride and hope to see y'all there.

I MISS YOU GUYS AND I MISS BOSTON.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2015

Was a blast as always. Maybe I'll bring some of the Rochester bike kids next year. There was a dude who came all the way from Dallas (with a case of PBR in his rear rack).::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2015

Also, somebody (someone I didn't recognize -- not Skunk) rode Cloudbuster on the out-'n'-back.
    All 200 lbs of it. I can't even.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus