Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2012 edited

The first 200k in the Boston series is on May 5th. Zomar and I were talking about it last night and reaffirming our plans to ride a whole series (200k, 300k, 400k, and 600k) this year, with the possibility of doing Boston-Montreal-Boston as a permanent in August if we complete the series.

Is anyone else interested? I have a car, so I can drive us to the Bedford or Burlington start lines if we acquire a bike rack.

Details for the Boston and VT series
    http://bostonbrevets.com/

Details for the Berkshire series can be found here:
    http://newhorizonsbikes.com/articles/berkshire-brevets-2012-pg67.htm

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, but are interested, go here:
    http://www.rusa.org/We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2012

I've always been interested, but my lack of a car has kept me out.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    yeah i'm into this, and i believe ben reed is too.
    Yeah, I think I'll do it (the 200k) if I'm not busy/out of town. Wanna do some Berkshire Brevets as well.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2012

I'm interested in the May 5th ride.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

im way into this idea.RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthorlenny

def interested in the may 5th ride
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

I've sent in my registration fees for the entire Boston series, so I'm committed. This is going to be a huge, but hopefully very rewarding challenge.

To anyone looking to register for these rides, the cheapest way to do it is by mail with a check in advance. You can register day of but you'll need to pay an additional "day-of" fee. See the website above for registration details.

I didn't know there were Berkshire Brevets, I'd be into maybe doing some of those if we can carpool out there (I don't have a car).

The Boston rides start at Hanscom Airforce Base. A lot of people bike there, and don't drive. It's only like ~20-25 miles RT from Boston-area, which could be a nice warm up or cool down, just make it the slowest ride of your life ;) . I'm not sure what the parking accommodations are like at the start, but I'm pretty sure lots of people drive to the start as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs

Yes, I'm game for the 5th. I'd ride there. There's one on April 21st too. A "warm up", I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

I want to buy 44rn chainring"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

buy a damn mtb first you awkard sonovabetch.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

I miss you, Seanboy"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2012 edited

Zomar:The Boston rides start at Hanscom Airforce Base. A lot of people bike there, and don't drive. It's only like ~20-25 miles RT from Boston-area, which could be a nice warm up or cool down, just make it the slowest ride of your life ;)

The bitch about biking in is not the mileage, but that you lose 1.5 hours of sleep. This won't be a big factor with the 200k, but with the 300k-600ks and their strange start times and increasing degrees of sleep deprivation during the rides, it will be important. Plus, it's huge if you have a mechanical malfunction or injury to know that you have a lift home after.
    I wish spokenword would chime in already.

Let's start figuring out seats in cars next week.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    joeyfresh:I wish spokenword would chime in already.

Let's start figuring out seats in cars next week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

ride to the start. what's a coupla miles when yer ridin' so many?
    • CommentAuthorkeepitreal
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2012

I'll give 50 to 1 odds Zomar doesn't complete even the 300, let alone start the 400 or 600
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012

The 100k is this Saturday. Who else is going?

http://nerandonneurs.org/nersite/?p=11

Boston 100k – April 21st 2012
    Posted on February 12, 2011 by Jake Kassen

Start Location: Hanscom Field in Bedford, MA (Google Map Link)
    Start Time: 8am
    Ride Leader: Melinda Lyon
    Lights: Optional
    Distance: 107k (68 Miles)
    Time Limit: 7 Hours 8 minutes
    Cost: $10 (+$5 day-of-event fee if not pre-registered.)
    Controls: Sterling, MA
    Cue Sheet: Download PDF (2010 cue, but the route hasn’t changed for 2012.)
    GPS File: 100k GPX File by Justin Brooke (See the GPS Warning.)
    Sanctioning: RUSA only.

Come join the New England Randonneurs for our early season warm-up ride. The 100k is a RUSA Populaire — a RUSA brevet shorter then 200k. If you’re considering riding additional brevets, the this ride will give you a feel of what’s to come. The route travels though the scenic western suburbs on a surprisingly hilly route. The ride isn’t arrowed so it’s a good chance to brush up on your cue sheet reading skills. Shortly after the control is Cumby’s ice cream and further down the road is the Harvard General Store if you’re looking for a break.

GPS Note: Justin Brooke was kind enough to create a GPX file and he notes: I’ve noticed that with my version of City Navigator (version 8), the waypoints don’t route properly just before entering Sterling — taking the Left onto Route 12 seems to just not compute, and the routing tells you to instead take a right, followed by an eventual U-Turn. User beware, I guess.

Dan Greene created a Bike Route Toaster page based on the preliminary route.
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

i could be into this...RIDE METAL
    • CommentAuthorspokenword

hey guys, sorry, been slammed at work so don't have a lot of time for monitoring bfixed. Joe, Ted, if you need me to chime in on something feel free to flash me a batsignal over gmail.

I'm in for the 200k (and will be riding to Hanscom from Inman if any of you want to go that route). The 100k conflicts with prior plans I have (hiking up Mt. Cardigan and watching meteor showers from the summit).

I will be organizing the 400k, so won't be riding on the day of (probably do a solo pre-ride a couple of weeks before to tune up the cues). If any of y'all make it that far, I will personally introduce you to Peter White and let him flame or compliment your choice of lighting.

oh! also I am planning on driving up to VT for the 6/9 300k and the 6/30 400k. If anyone wants to split gas (and maybe a hotel for the 400) let me know.

to answer other questions in the thread. All the Boston rides start in the parking lot of the Hanscom Civilian Air Terminal -- car parking is not a problem (in some ways, it's the site's chief asset) and lots of people do drive to the start. If I had to guess, maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the crowd rides to the start, everyone else drives in.

Pros of riding to and from the start (from Boston metro to Hanscom)
    -- I feel like a badass
    -- I get a bit of a warmup, and also one last chance to listen for anything weird on the bike
    -- you know those moments when you start pedaling your bike and it's only then that you realize that you've forgotten something? when it happens to me as I leave the apt; I can turn around and go back. Less easy when I forget something at home and only realize it when I'm spinning around the lot at Hanscom
    -- I have more of an excuse to stop at redbones for my recovery meal before going home. If I'm driving, my priorities immediately shift to getting a shower before anything else.

Pros of driving
    -- I get a little more sleep (assuming one can sleep because one isn't too AMPED UP for a 4am start)
    -- I can pack more tools in the car in case of last minute tweaks (though, really, don't do this 15 minutes before the start)
    -- I have a place to nap before getting my ass home after a 24 hour 400k
    -- I get to take a shower a lot sooner.

... still wind up riding most times. But I don't give anyone shit for driving in. We all make our own choices.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

When I move back to Boston, I fully intend to take part in this badassery.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012 edited

Thanks for the input, Cris. I know I could have just texted you if it were truly urgent, but I thought I'd try summoning you via your sidgel (the Trek 520, and yes that was a Sandman reference). I'd say it was mildly effective.

My participation beyond the 200k is hopeful but completely dependent on plans that may or may not come through and are out of my control. If I make it to the 400, I'd love to ride it with you.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2012

bump.

rumor has it that a ton of people are doing the 100k tomorrow. i'm very excited!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2012

I wish I could make it. I'm afraid the next long ride I do will be the 200k on the 5th. I am slightly nervous.

P.S.- I will update the thread title for every new ride that someone says they're going on. Holler at me if I miss something.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2012

The ride yesterday was great! One of the funnest rides I've done this year. 100 people road in the event, which went from Hanscom AFB to Sterling and back. There was about 3000 ft of climbing and beautiful views. I road there and back which got me a century in by 1:30pm when I got home, and still had a whole day ahead of me (which I ended early by going to sleep at 6pm haha).

Can't wait for the 200k in a two weeks. I'm going to go on a long ride to prepare for that next weekend if anyone wants to arrange that with me. I might go on the Ride Studio Cafe saturday morning ride, which is pretty fun/fast.
    I may be down for the RSC ride next Sat.

Anyone down to hang/do something today?clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

sure.

seven-hate-won fiyve-won-hate threeee-sex-too-fore
    So I think I'm gonna get some coffee and maybe some food, hit up the SoWa, and install my roof rack trays if anyone wants to join.

Chris, I'll give ya a holler in a bit.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

I'm going for a run but I'll be around later this afternoon. I kind of want to check out this bar in Kenmore called "the lower depths". Apparently they have $1 hotdogs (meat and veggie dogs).
    Chris, you won't be disappointed. The Depth's is the best spot in the area. I'd absolutely join if I wasn't broken. Also, if you're vegan make sure to ask them not to butter fry your hotdog bun...because they do that.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

^youre broken? what happened?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Not broken for long. Apparently I effed up the muscles between my ribs trying to lock my bike up yesterday (aggrivation of an older injury). So I'm pretty immobile for the time being.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

paul jameson:Chris, you won't be disappointed. The Depth's is the best spot in the area. I'd absolutely join if I wasn't broken. Also, if you're vegan make sure to ask them not to butter fry your hotdog bun...because they do that.

Thanks for the tip (I am vegan).
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

intercostal muscles? done that plenty, very painful. good luck!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2012 edited

the lower depths is a great spot, highly recommended.

LD pro tip:
    order a couple plain dogs, then one with sauerkraut (if you are into kraut), spread the kraut evenly across all 3.
    order a pretzel with their home-made beer mustard (DELICIOUS), spread SOME of the mustard evenly across the 3 dogs, BE SURE TO SAVE SOME FOR THE PRETZEL!

You just scored yourself 3 hot dogs with kraut and DELICIOUS mustard, along with an equally delicious pretzel for around $7.

BOOM.

-- Obviously this is scaleable up or down, I just like my dogs in 3's ;-)RIDE METAL
    • CommentAuthorben

Zomar:The ride yesterday was great! One of the funnest rides I've done this year. 100 people road in the event, which went from Hanscom AFB to Sterling and back. There was about 3000 ft of climbing and beautiful views. I road there and back which got me a century in by 1:30pm when I got home, and still had a whole day ahead of me (which I ended early by going to sleep at 6pm haha).

Can't wait for the 200k in a two weeks. I'm going to go on a long ride to prepare for that next weekend if anyone wants to arrange that with me. I might go on the Ride Studio Cafe saturday morning ride, which is pretty fun/fast.
    We passed a bunch of you guys while out near Harvard, and I spent 2 hours at the Ayer train station right next to what looked like one of the controls.

I'm interested in doing the 200k, esp since my ride got cut short yesterday,and could be talked into trying to hang with the RSC guys next weekend but definitely the longer one if the weather is nice.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

hmmmm, there was only one control yesterday at the Sterling, MA town green. I wonder what you saw?
    I think I'm gonna try to make it to the 200k...
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

I guess that explains the herds of people I saw out that way on Saturday with cue sheets.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2012

Zomar:hmmmm, there was only one control yesterday at the Sterling, MA town green. I wonder what you saw?
    Must have been a different ride, then. Weird.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2012

Ok so who's doing this?

I'm thinking I'll sign up tonight, but I am really nervous about 7000+ feet of climbing over 125 miles plus 25 miles to get to the start and back. I rode a century last month, but 150 with that much climbing is a big risk for my knee. Is anyone driving out to the start?I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    I'm going. Planning on riding there, leaving from Inman @ 5am. I believe Joe is driving.

The amount of climbing on these rides is indeed no joke, but it's doable if you just pace yourself properly. Each of the three legs has a big climb or two, so don't push yourself too hard, too early and always leave a little in the tank. You've got a lot of time to finish, so even if you find yourself discouragingly tired at the second checkpoint, just wait and see how you feel after a few minutes of eating and resting.
    • CommentAuthorben

Hm. I may join you for the ride out, then, if I choose to go that route (no pun intended). And if that's alright, of course.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs

ben:Ok so who's doing this?

I'm thinking I'll sign up tonight, but I am really nervous about 7000+ feet of climbing over 125 miles plus 25 miles to get to the start and back. I rode a century last month, but 150 with that much climbing is a big risk for my knee. Is anyone driving out to the start?

Thought about, made me scared as haven't done a 100 for a while. I know I could pull it off with careful energy management and climbing techniques. But alas, now I'm not free on Saturday so quite disappointed.
    no prob. if anyone want to ride there, meet in front of 1369 @ 5 am.

Plan is to ride to Hanscom via Beacon -> Mass Ave -> Minuteman @ Arlington Ctr -> 2A -> Lexington Rd -> Mill -> 2A

Otherwise, see y'all at the parking lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012

I'm doing it. I'm planning on riding there, but did talk about maybe getting a ride with Joe a few weeks back.

The average speed you need to travel to finish within the time limits is like 9 or 10mph, so there is ample room for taking breaks off the bike if needed. You'll likely find a group of people who want to ride your pace and will help each other out along the way.
    oh, and if it's added incentive: If you finish, I'm up for folks coming over to my place afterwards to recover with All Star Pizza and beer.
    Is that place actually open yet? Haven't been through Inman in a few weeks.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    All Star Pizza is totally open. Visited the place with a friend on Monday and split a very tasty buffalo duck pizza and a pitcher of sangria.