Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2012

This thread is for asking questions, and making suggestions about moderating bostonfixed.us.

Please keep questions and suggestions civil and reasonable, and realize that the people that moderate this place are also just regular people, too.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2012 edited

.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    • CommentAuthortristan

I suggest that Buckley be removed from Mod status, for overreaching in his role as a moderator.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    i have never had any problem with buckley and lauren as mods
    Who decides who is a mod?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

Conor is a pretty stand-up guy, and is volunteering to help moderate.

How do people feel about that?The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    I am not a stand-up guy, and i wouldn't do jack shit as a moderator. Can I be a mod?Take-off everything but your rainboots
    i, for one, feel great about it.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    i feel very good about conor moderating
    i feel less-than-good about drunk conor moderating

also, can i be a mod since i'm an OG and all?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

Someone should get control over this crowd when it gets out of hand.

I have changed my user role. I think a couple of you people are fucking assholes. I only read this website after an awful day at work anyway.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    Is someone going to answer my question?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

No one, really.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

kilgore_trout:i feel less-than-good about drunk conor moderating

This is the only thing I feel good about right now.
    Imagine how awesome it will be when you come home and all your posts were changed to Keats poems.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    banana truffles:Is someone going to answer my question?

any mod can make a modTake-off everything but your rainboots
    joeyfresh:
    kilgore_trout:i feel less-than-good about drunk conor moderating

This is the only thing I feel good about right now.
    Imagine how awesome it will be when you come home and all your posts were changed to Keats poems.

'sorry guys, i'm wasted and have decided to turn the board into a literary choose your own adventure.'You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

If you'd like Conor to enjoy another scotch, turn to page 168?The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    If Conor! becomes a Mod I demand modumTake-off everything but your rainboots
    but really, is this a real concern, gary? i handle my liquor well enough these days to stay away from the internet when things go dark, i think.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

yeah, morgan made me a mod. Then he un-mod himself because really, morgan does not have his shit that together. All of the comments and threads Morgan deleted were his own b/c of his own inappropriate behavior. I miss morgan...

I thought I was the only mod for a while. I don't think I've ever made anyone else a mod & don't know how the current mods got their status.
    ^^ Gary is just upset that he doesn't drinkTake-off everything but your rainboots
    if i'm mod, i'll make you a mod alexi.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    conor!:if i'm mod, i'll make you a mod alexi.

that may be a knock against you being a modTake-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

I'm going to guess Josh passed it along to one or two people and then we ended up at this point.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    it was off the record, so to speak. p.s.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthortristan

Here's another moderation question. A few weeks ago, mod activity really ticked up, with comments being deleted, mods speaking out against things they found distasteful, etc.
    Why did that start happening? Did someone decide that they "were gonna clean up this town" or something? Was it a group decision?

To get the correct reading of my question, you must read the quote in the voice of the mayor in back to the future, while he's still working in the malt shop.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    conor!:i handle my liquor well enough these days to stay away from the internet when things go dark, i think.

if this is true, then i'm fine with conor being a mod.

also, this forum shouldn't support cronyism and nepotism!
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2012 edited

it seems it was a group decision between buckley & bechez, at least. A little ways in I got let in via the mods thread. I thought everyone could see the thread, I didn't know it was private until today. Honestly, there are periodic & cyclical upticks in mod activity when people either first become a mod or suddenly decide to do something about their mod status. Usually it either calms down or there is public outrage & they lose/give up their mod status.
    • CommentAuthorObo

tristan:To get the correct reading of my question, you must read the quote in the voice of the mayor in back to the future, while he's still working in the malt shop.

epic reference... i've never heard you quote BTF beforeI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2012 edited

tristan:I suggest that Buckley be removed from Mod status, for overreaching in his role as a moderator.
    +1

i think ratattack and epic should remain mods, and maybe obo, tristan should be made mods if there's a need for more active members to have the mod title. everyone else, we, should be demoted or remain lowly members. maybe conor can be upgraded for the lulz, he's harmlesssomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    i don't know this obo or tristan, so i don't support their mod-ship
    tristan isn't around often so i guess he wouldn't make sense.. but obo is a very reasonable fella, who is around often, and who i can't imagine would ever get heavy-handed. like lauren said, all that's needed is someone to sticky and unsticky things, and delete spam..that's pretty much itsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    oo oooo mod me. i want to mohderhate
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2012

Sean - I appreciate the nod and vote of confidence.

However, I've got no interest in being a moderator. I try to stay away from the drama that occasionally crops up here, and it seems that a mod would have some inherent duty to follow that crap. I come here to read about something I love, which has always been an escape from real life for me. Feeling some responsibility (even to sticky/unsticky crap) isn't something I need, especially when my daily life is full of enough responsibility as is.

tl;dr: riding bikes is fun, responsibility isn't.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorObo

tristan, you shoulda moved to colorado and opened a sammich shopI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    Tristan, you should move to lower allston and open a sandwich shop.

...wait, maybe I'm just hungry.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    • CommentAuthortristan

^^ should have, still should.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I suggest the following:

1. Everybody but Ratattack be stripped of mod status. (Sorry, Buckley et al, no offense intended...this is just so we can all clear the air and know who the hell is a mod.)

2. New mods be added based on the following criteria:

a) They must be active members for an agreed-upon amount of time (say, 1 year?) and must have contributed some arbitrary amount of comments (say, uh, 100?) without making a total ass of themselves. Clearly the numbers can be tweaked. They're just there to assure that mods are active and upstanding members who are already making a positive contribution.

b) Following Conor's example, new mod wannabes change their username to "username for mod" for a one or two week discussion period.

c) If, at the end of the discussion period, no serious objections are made either in pubic or by whisper, Ratattack (and only Ratattack) grants mod status.

d) Anybody who was stripped of mod status in Step 1 can feel free to reapply for the position.

e) We cap the number of mods to, uh, 5, or something, and we keep a running list of current mods somewhere visible.

f) We shut the hell up about mods. It's probably the most boring topic of discussion to disgrace this forum in some time.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    ^i support this wholeheartedlysomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    nerdo:I suggest the following...

Yes.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2012

I would just like to point out that I am not a moderator. Lauren Kling tries to sit on both sides of the fence, and thinks there isn't a problem on here, when there often is.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2012 edited

Buckley!:I would just like to point out that I am not a moderator. Lauren Kling tries to sit on both sides of the fence, and thinks there isn't a problem on here, when there often is.

I take that to mean that you unmodded yourself.

I'm a little confused by all of this, to be honest. You used to be one of the people that provided balance around here with equal measures of snark and rational commenting. I actually liked you on here until you decided that we were bad children who needed to be kept in line with a good spanking. I'm asking sincerely: what gives?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

Yeah, I get it. I think you're all bad children and you need to be a little more reasonable if you want to have cookies after dinner.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I like cookies. (A little too much.)Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012

Would
    Buckley!:I would just like to point out that I am not a moderator. Lauren Kling tries to sit on both sides of the fence, and thinks there isn't a problem on here, when there often is.

would everyone please STFU and actually read what lauren is saying.. or maybe go back in the internet time machine and read the 1st few months worth of posts, lauren isn't saying this place is prefect, she's saying that the way that she deals with it (or doesn't deal with it) is at the owner and admin Brandon's wishes...

if you don't like it then be a cupcake, or a polo-er and go start your own god damn forum..
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012

This year, it seems Morgan became reasonable. Still has that one tattoo, though.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    I have lots of experiencing modding. A Vote for Fist as mod of this rinky dink spithole would put a user fee for Gold accounts available to everyone, with access to a super-secret private area of Bostonfixed where Joeyfresh isn't allowed, because he's a fucking stupid ginger. A vote for Fist and I will create and apply a signature-required, binding contract agreement with every post that you promise to be nice; except for me, who will tell you all that you're doing it wrong, because you are. Also, Lauren Kling is a whore with a smelly vagina. Yuck-smelly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2012

Baron Fagrot:I have lots of experiencing modding. A Vote for Fist as mod of this rinky dink spithole would put a user fee for Gold accounts available to everyone, with access to a super-secret private area of Bostonfixed where Joeyfresh isn't allowed, because he's a fucking stupid ginger. A vote for Fist and I will create and apply a signature-required, binding contract agreement with every post that you promise to be nice; except for me, who will tell you all that you're doing it wrong, because you are. Also, Lauren Kling is a whore with a smelly vagina. Yuck-smelly.
    I laughed inappropriately loudly in a quiet public place. Post of the year.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2012

Also in the dumb questions thread:
    Buckley!:Why did Lauren Kling just remove every moderator except herself, including changing my own user role, which was NOT mod-related?

And you all thought I was a dick.
    The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    • CommentAuthortristan

Maybe because folks voiced support for that idea, with a new mod selection process beginning?ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

There is no "mod selection process". Lauren has just decided that she is it.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.