Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

joeyfresh:grdnstofmnd: The "politics" you refer to are, in part, an argument about the identity of the forum.
    I'm not true OG like some people around here, but I have been around for long enough that I've met many of my best friends in Boston through here. Many of y'all are going to be at my wedding and one of you is going to be in it. Internet stranger to best friend is a magical thing.
    What the forum has done for me:
    In the past three years, I've gone from being a noob on a hybrid to being comfortable riding 100+ miles at a time while thinking it's the funnest thing I've done all week. I remember when I first joined and read the D2R2 thread thinking to myself "Wow, how can they do that? That's amazing". Then two marathons ago, I rode the Marathon ride on that shitty hybrid, totally fucked up my knees because I didn't know how to shift gears, and co-founded (with Shah and surprisefries) a funny little group that now has team kits and 90+ members on the fb group because we want other people to join in on the fun too. Then last spring, two people who I first met here as internet strangers (Shah and 6kidz) decided I needed a road bike. It was a rainy day and I was at school all day, but they drove out to the burbs, picked it up the perfect starter whip for a nice price, and tuned it up and polished it in a Brookline basement for me just because. Last June, I went with two other internet strangers (lenny and Cheez) out to ride a D2R2 route and I did what would have been unthinkable only a year before. On that ride, I decided I needed a touring bike to sling myself up hills, and three days later I had a Trek 520 courtesy of spokenword. Three days after that, I decided I would ride to FL, and another 10 days later I left Boston on my bike. I rode over 1100 miles in 18 days during a heatwave and suffered like hell but had one of the most transcendental experiences of my life.
    Joining this forum and participating in this community directly led to my life changing in ways that I am humbled by and grateful for. It's led me to getting in shape, it's reinforced my efforts to quit smoking, and it's led me to try for and achieve things I never even viewed as real possibilities before I came here.
    Other have their stories as well, and yes I can be rightfully accused of being a romantic, but I credit this forum and the people on it as a major reason why I am as happy as I am today.
    So if you want to talk about what's "building" a bike community, keep in mind that it's not just "politics" and you may not always know what the history is or why some people might be so willing to holler and yell if there is a perceived threat to what they think makes this place great.
    (Edit: In case it's not clear, I'm not yelling at you. Just explaining one side of it. Some of the arguments on here are about bullshit, but some of them actually do matter and telling everyone to just chill out doesn't resolve it.)

josh_truant:

It'd be an understatement to say that I am a social disaster. I actually used to avoid riding my bike from social anxiety, because right when I was about to leave the house, I'd picture confrontations happening that I didn't want to deal with. (Being stuck with other cyclists at red lights, cars, heckling pedestrians, etc.) I made my first real adult "friend," as in, they weren't a mutual friend of someone I knew already or someone I had to talk to in a class, because I mistook them for someone from this forum. I think I'm at the point where I could probably say "hi" to a stranger without picturing myself as Brainy from Hey Arnold. This isn't entirely bfixed's doing, but this is pretty much cheap therapy, since it's a forum where I can be partly anonymous but also might run into the members elsewhere.

keep it coming...tristan - thats fucking rad dude, I'm happy for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2012 edited

i wouldn't have had this secret santa party to welcome me back from australia if i didn't have the forum

there are so many pictures like this, it's kind of amazing.
    there's been apple picking, 30 rack thursdays, skinny dipping in jamaica pond, all-nighters drinking with shah, new years parties, castle island, docks, docks, docks (each of those are different docks), tons of wonderful rides, etc. etc. etc.
    i made friends that i never would have expected, and cannot wait to see again as when i get back. i love the people, and what the forum has done for me over the years, but there's be a serious breakdown in the place as a singular group of friends into a bunch of small ones...so it doesn't really operate like it used to, sadly.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2012

seanile mick:...all-nighters drinking with shah...
    I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    if anything is worth pursuing, it's having a few of those^somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    discretion: i am about to sound like a psychologist...

as i said before, i am newer to the forum...but so far from what i understand, it used to be more 'real life' interaction vs. online interaction. we can change that...pretty easily in fact. we don't have to sit at home behind a screen, im down to help plan more regular social events (besides the wed ride), meet and greet type shit. drinking, riding, hanging out, etc. the old dogs of the site need to get to know the young bucks and party.tristan - thats fucking rad dude, I'm happy for you.
    •  
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2012 edited

there's an annual apple picking thing in october, an annual noob meet n greet in august/september, 30 rack thursdays in the winter (when it's actually a cold one), but the social/group rides have really died down since 2010, so if you can keep the revival of them going then it should be good. it's just that the groups thatll go there will be small due to the skepticism of people they like being there as well. it's become very cliquey, and the cliques aren't very big. solution for that then, get more willing-to-ride noobssomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Stormy Arthur:B'fixed got me laid, like for the first time. I was a 25 year old virgin and nerdo took my cherry. Since then I have gotten sooooo much poon (like 4 other times woot!) I could be a fucking racoon. Thanks B'fixed for changing my life

ok truth be told it was the Boston subforum or the fixed/singlespeed subforum of bikeforums.comTake-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthorkatdaley
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2012

I joined the forum because Masha saw me at some bike event at the other side cafe and told me I should get on the boards and go on the bfixed midnight ride. I joined and didn't start posting until almost 8 (i think?) months later, and invited internet strangers to my house for bike'n'brunch. It became a little tradition for a while, until I moved out of that place. That summer proceeded to rule, doxxxx erryday, meeting tons of rad people on bikes. Before I joined the boards, I literally did not know anyone in Boston that rode bikes too (at least, in any real way). Now, the vast majority of people I hang out with or know are connected to bfixed, including my boyfriend (d'awwww). A lot of you know me, but I was incredibly shy and anxious, and meeting all these rad people helped me be less so. And now, I like, RACE DA BIKES and I'm positive I would not be doing that if it weren't for some folks on here.Behind my Game Boy™, I got game, boy.
    katdaley:That summer proceeded to rule, doxxxx erryday, meeting tons of rad people on bikes. Before I joined the boards, I literally did not know anyone in Boston that rode bikes too (at least, in any real way).
    You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    I joined this business 3 months after I moved here. Building my first road bike got me through a pretty tough year in Cleveland after college, and by the end of my time there I had built a second bike, bought one of those fancy fixed gear bieks and was playing polo pretty regularly. I was on the polo forum in Cleveland, and decided to see if there was something similar here. I met dora, dustin and alex when I went to one of the first TCS! things, got involved with that, checkpointed the ? day race and was too shy to talk to anyone at the afterparty, but slowly met more and more of you clowns. I played polo a handful of times here but ended up being too busy with grad school. When both of my good friends and roommates decided that Boston sucks and that they were going to leave, I ended up living with folks from this forum, (dora, eddie, ganzi and zev). I still do (dora, alex, eddie, and graham) and that shit rules hard. I think bikes are rad, and something about them makes the people that like them more likely to be nice, intelligent folks. I've always felt welcome at BFixed events. So yeah, I guess it helped me find like-minded people in a new, and particularly cold and unfriendly city. I would definitely have skated last august with a masters if I didn't make the friends I met on this site. As far as communities go, this one's not that dysfunctional.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    I keep getting sweet used Time ATACs from bfixed <3 <3 <3i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2012

alexi got me drunk when i was underagegone
    •  
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2012 edited

^bostonfixed got me drunk when i was underage, so much.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    gc:alexi got me drunk when i was underage

this will be my campaign slogan when I run for ModTake-off everything but your rainboots
    seanile mick:^bostonfixed got me drunk when i was underage, so much.

I will never forget the first time I really met you, going to that art opening Alex had pieces in at 242. Getting hammered and yelling about how you were underage.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    "i'm drinking beer! omgggg"somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Yes sean, you have become moderately less drunk and annoying since I first met you. I would think this forum had something to do with that.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    banana truffles:Yes sean, you have become moderately less drunk and annoying since I first met you. I would think this forum had something to do with that.
    ladies and gentleman..ella hates me less. holy shit. one day, one day she may be indifferent toward me. miracles do happen!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2012

I ain't gon' lie, I love my bostonfixed."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2012

seanile mick:
    banana truffles:Yes sean, you have become moderately less drunk and annoying since I first met you. I would think this forum had something to do with that.
    ladies and gentleman..ella hates me less. holy shit. one day, one day she may be indifferent toward me. miracles do happen!
    That's probably just the cancer talking.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Ella for Most Lovable Crankypants.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Whoa now, we're letting Ella wear pants? Next thing you'll be telling me she gets to vote or something. Jeez...

</sarcasm>

Srsly Ella, <3'sclockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012

I met the only non-work, non-Wesleyan friends I ever got in Boston through bostonfixed. Literally, nothing else I ever tried to meet people worked.

Also, bought/sold/learned lots 'bout bikes.

<3 you guys
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012

Got into bikes (as an adult) after working with Tristan. And then he finally let me join here after I quit the company we both worked for :P Definitely enjoy the camaraderie and meeting new folk. After spending 60+ miles with someone there is no more awkward "getting-to-know-you" BS. Refreshing. And now finally getting into building more (just finally did my first whole build and first wheels).I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    my crappy joke was completely wastedi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    surprisefries:Ella for Most Lovable Crankypants.

I know Gary may not get that many votes in the lovable portion of the MLC competition, but he'd get my vote nonetheless.

Stormy Arthur:
    gc:alexi got me drunk when i was underage

this will be my campaign slogan when I run for Mod

This may be the sobriety talking, but I kinda like the idea of Alexi as a mod (ever since it came up in the conversation involving Conor for mod).
    i thought ella was part of the no-pants-crew?
    yea..cranky vagina is probably more appropriate anywaysomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Every time I see Ella she is wearing pants.

At first, anyway.

yeowza!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2012

It's a good thing Ella is pro-choice.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    I am not apart of the no-pants crew.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK