Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012 edited

edit: dammit, this was suppopsed to be a whisper convo to Brunop

whatever..i'll go with it now.

Anyone from Chicago got any leads I could follow that could offer a place for 33 Bike&Build riders to sleep/shower/eat? And a place to park a van trailer? We often stay at community centers or churches and if you know someone who I could chat with I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Hey there folks!

For those of you who don't know me, I'm Sean, and this summer I’ll be co-leading a group of 33 young adults as we bike 3,800 miles from Portsmouth, NH to Vancouver, BC on a ride organized by the non-profit organization, Bike & Build. Along the route we'll be building houses to help make affordable housing more available to those who need it, and to educate those who aren't aware of such a need.
    As a part of our journey, each leader and rider is required to fundraise $4,500 before the start of the trip. With the help of some very generous family, friends (many being from this forum), and strangers, I’ve been able to raise $4155 over the past 2 months. This money will be distributed to local housing organizations along our route, recipients of a Bike & Build grant, projects and people that support B&B, and more. This summer, Bike & Build is looking to raise more than $600,000 for people in need throughout the country, and I was hoping some of yas would be interested in being a part of it. Additionally, Bike & Build is a 501(c)(3) organization so any donation is tax deductible :).
    I plan on sending post cards to donors from places along the route, so if there's a destination that you'd like one from I can make that happen! Thanks a ton for reading!

My donation link is here:
    http://bikeandbuild.org/rider/6196
    Info on the organization is here:
    Bike & Build
    Info on our route is here:
    Northern US

Thanks y'alllll
    Any questions about it all, hit me up!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012

www.chifg.com

Also, paging Conor.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    thanks rob, i'll definitely throw a post up there. i've also messaged gilbert and he said he'll put me in touch with some folks if he can.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012

Former Chicago social worker, current TSB (but not forum) member, and future cousin-in-law Jaime recommends checking out this place in uptown:
    http://www.ica-usa.org/?page=buildinginfo
    http://www.ica-usa.org/resource/resmgr/Files/4750_GreenRise_Uptown_Learni.pdf

He says: "Before it was more like a hostel, and I'm pretty sure they'd let people stay for free if they thought it was a worthy cause."We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012 edited

thanks joe! I'll definitely hit them up.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorkerrbrick
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2012

Hey Sean, a friend of mine from Chicago suggested getting in touch with Peter Buttitta, the director of ministry at St. Gertrude's church - apparently they have been known to help out in such ways. Here's their website contact us page:
    http://www.stgertrudechicago.org/contact-us/

I also double as the future cousin-in-law.
    • CommentAuthorkerrbrick

Also some more details on the the institute of cultural affairs, I stayed there ~10 years ago with a group. At the time, they had a floor with a bunch of rooms with multiple bunk beds/communal shower, etc, kinda like a hostel. I'm not sure if they charge groups to stay there, but they do seem to be very into the not-for-profit and environmentally friendly projects.
    so great, thank you so much!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Let us know how it goes.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    will do sirsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2012 edited

Hey there folks!

For those of you who don't know me, I'm Sean Reilly, and [if you haven't seen the previous rendition of this thread at all] this summer I’ll be co-leading a group of 33 young adults as we bike 3,800 miles from Portsmouth, NH to Vancouver, BC on a ride organized by the non-profit organization, Bike & Build. Along the route we'll be building houses to help make affordable housing more available to those who need it, and to educate those who aren't aware of such a need.
    As a part of our journey, each leader and rider is required to fundraise $4,500 before the start of the trip. With the help of some very generous family, friends (many being from this forum), and strangers, I’ve been able to raise $4155 over the past 2 months. This money will be distributed to local housing organizations along our route, recipients of a Bike & Build grant, projects and people that support B&B, and more. This summer, Bike & Build is looking to raise more than $600,000 for people in need throughout the country, and I was hoping some of yas would be interested in being a part of it. Additionally, Bike & Build is a 501(c)(3) organization so any donation is tax deductible :).
    I plan on sending post cards to donors from places along the route, so if there's a destination that you'd like one from I can make that happen! Thanks a ton for reading!

My donation link is here:
    http://bikeandbuild.org/rider/6196
    Info on the organization is here:
    Bike & Build
    Info on our route is here:
    Northern US
    The blog I've been running and will continue to write during the ride is here:
    www.gogogadgetbikethighs.tumblr.com

Thanks y'alllll
    Any questions about it all, hit me up!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.