Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

As much as I don't listen to mainstream "alternative" music, the Clear Channel take-over of WFNX with mass lay-offs (inc. Julie Kramer) is a real blow to the "independent" media in Boston. It's a sad day.

[And YES, this deserves it's own fuckin' thread!]All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    At least we still have a plethora of college radio options (but I concede your point, 'FNX was the first commercial Boston station I was aware of that played grunge music before it became totally mainstream, and more Clear Channel always sucks)... somewhere I still have tapes I recorded of The Record Hospital circa 1991.
    awe Julie!Take-off everything but your rainboots
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2012

Who still listens to anything but NPR on radio?I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorspokenword

at first they came for the radio stations and I said nothing because I listen to Pandora or Spotify.
    ... then they came for Newbury Comics and I said nothing because I buy everything from Amazon MP3 and iTunes
    ... then they came for the Middle East and I said nothing because I watch all of my concerts via Youtube clips

oh ... wait, actually I don't want that particular kind of future.

though, to ben's point, I haven't listened to WFNX in forever. Still, I'd be sad if MIT or BC flipped their college radio programs over to a ClearChannel donor.

I'd wonder how ClearChannel ownership would change the Boston Phoenix.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs

ben:Who still listens to anything but NPR on radio?

WMBR is super cool!

Pandora and Spotify (though I do use the latter) profoundly compromise artist Royalties. The payments are terrible. iTunes accounting and split is really quite OK and similar to major labels, or slightly better even.

WJIB or GTFO

AM4LYFE

(also I rarely listen to radio but for the aforementioned two stations but fuck ClearChannel)DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Nothing beats Late Risers Club (88.1/WMBR).All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs

^yep!
    I know it's mostly a folk station... but that syndicated show "Blues Before Sunrise" on WUMB (91.9 I think) can be pretty awesome... turned me on to Sister Rosetta Tharpe and a whole bunch of other stuff (my taste in music kinda runs the gamut, although I haven't been listening to much "indie rock" in awhile, maybe by chance).

I know it's not in Boston and all, but I gotta throw in a shameless plug for WTUL - New Orleans - Progressive Stereo even though I'm not all that keen on some of their content... check out any show with Miss Conduct though, she's an awesome lady.
    • CommentAuthorObo

There is a "Hilbillies at Harvard" program on Saturday mornings that is truly amazing. Whatever-spot-on-the-dial-harvard-is FMI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    95.3 WHRB

i don't listen to any radio, ESPECIALLY not NPR. i'm not some college democrat hippie
    ^Gary did you see them at Lido a couple years ago? That show was kind of hilarious.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    nah, i stopped having a desire to go see them around 2004.
    i still listen to that stuff every now and then (including star fucking hipsters), and 'infested' is still an amazing song
    Today's Julie's last day on teh air. :-(
    ^ That was such a freakin' weird moment for me. I was driving to CT on Fri, and listening to the show. When she played that last track (Last Goodbye, Jeff Buckley), I was just at the range were FNX faded out of reception. By the time the song was over, I could no longer get the station on the air. It was the perfect metaphor for the entire thing, and kinda freaked me out.

She did play Husker Du in her last 30 min, so props for that (albeit Warehouse shit, but hell, it's still Husker Du).All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.