Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2012 edited

I'm unemployed, I've been feeling down. And I'm thinking that a really really long bike ride might be exactly what I need to turn myself around. I was planning on going home to philly for a few weeks already.

I literally just had the idea pop into my head. I'm obviously not going to do it alone. I was wondering if anyone else was interested, then I might look into it a little more seriously.

Start date is flexible, deadline is non-existant. But sooner is better.

It's around 350 miles according to google maps bike route: http://goo.gl/maps/4R72. Modifications would be made.

I'm a noob. plain and simple. I've never ridden that much before. My average speed is 14mph on my 50 mile ride. That was last september.

No thought has been put into housing throughout the trip yet. I can probably manage a place to stay in Hartford CT (maybe) and North Jersey, not sure about anything else.

Also, any and all suggestions as how to make this trip better for me, if I do it, would be more than greatly appreciated. Tons of karma float your way

---

commence "zev are you fucking dumb?" in 5.... 4... 3.. 2. 1EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2012

I don't think you're dumb. A touch manic, perhaps, but not dumb. I often think about quitting life for a few months to solo tour across the country, and I actually started messing a couple years ago to get in shape for that, but then life intervened and I never went and I still regret it. So, who cares if it's dumb or manic or whatever. Do it! Philly's not that far, and there's a bus back if you get stuck somewhere.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

philly is kind of terrible though. go and get a cheesesteak and get on the bus.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

I'm going home to hang w/ my momma.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    Would If I could, but I suggest doing it alone with supplies and an emergency plan - few things more meditative and headclearing.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorObo

^ferrealI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

I thought about it. But I dunno if I'm confident enough in my skill, equipment, and definitely not my cell phone in case of emergency. My phone dies in like 6 hours. 3.5 if i'm tracking my location.

Sadness.

So I'm still looking for a riding partner. and suggestions for how to make this ride easier.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2012

^ Keep your phone off unless you need it to make a call. Use paper maps to figure out where you are going. Bring your charger and you can charge it at cafes/libraries/where ever
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Start doing some overnights. Ride out, crash with a friend somewhere (or use warmshowers.org to find a host), then ride back. You'll fine tune your touring necessities and build up some mileage/endurance.

From Boston to Philly, you'll be riding through totally habitated area so there are plenty of places to stop and fill up water bottles (my favorite are strip-mall Subways and the like), use bathrooms (...or Starbucks), or grab a quick cheap snack (...or gas stations) etc.

As far as routing goes, only use Google's bike directions as a starting point. I'd adjust the route to minimize the turns you have to make. Nothing's more depressing than blowing past a turn and having to backtrack to find it, or to stop and keep looking at maps to figure out which random neighborhood Google routed you through etc. Simplify as much as possible if you can. If you do use warmshowers.org to connect with hosts, check your route against their local knowledge and sometimes they'll have a better suggestion for you. And finally, if you do get stranded somewhere, you're a nice clean young man and you shouldn't have trouble flagging down a ride to the nearest bike shop or bus/train station...

Sounds like a blast. I'm jealous as hell.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Also, any reason you're routing yourself through Hartford and Bridgeport? My preference is to avoid cities as much as possible when I'm touring, mainly because the routing gets all fucked up when you go through a city. But the traffic gets worse, you ride over more glass and nails, etc. etc. If you can cut out Hartford at least, you'll probably be happier (though, full disclosure, I have little to no experience with biking in CT).Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    VectoredZev:I thought about it. But I dunno if I'm confident enough in my skill, equipment, and definitely not my cell phone in case of emergency. My phone dies in like 6 hours. 3.5 if i'm tracking my location.

Sadness.

Do it! Do it!
    I wouldn't rely on the phone - I'd probably keep it turned off and in a ziplock somewhere for real emergencies, and use actual road maps for the navigation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

I havent modified the google thing at all yet. It took me through hartford on it's own before I added anything to it. So once I saw that, I figured I'd try to get my friend in Hartford to house me for a night. But I'm not sure I'll get that to happen.

This is all really inspring. Thanks guys. Gonna go for a 50 mile ride today if possible. Get in shape.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    Fuck hartford, seconded.

Put your phone in airplane mode so you can switch it on quickly if necessary. Also I have a solar charger somewhere that I'd be happy to lend you if you'd like.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2012

+1 to what everyone else said- minus the stuff about getting ready and being in shape for it. just fucking go.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2012

Trip Postponed due to accident this morning and my road bike's front wheel getting taco'd. And me being very very sore.

All's well, nothing's broken but the front wheel (so far).EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Shitty shit shit. Can you use the wheel from your fixed gear to keep riding road?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

It's possible, I havent tried yet.

That was where I stopped. Only the front tire is fucked. so I could probably replace it. Dunno the hub width but I think my fixed gear's is pretty wide.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    theyll both be 100mmsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.