Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Oh, rent.

http://www.cambridgeday.com/2012/05/25/lease-hike-forces-out-harvest-co-op-clear-conscience-cafe/All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012

That place had crappy produce.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorObo

Incredibly sadI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    What, you guys don't want more banks in Central Sq.?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Meh, it doesn't sound that horrible, necessarily... just moving to a much smaller space across the street (unclear whether they mean the space across the street is the size of roughly 1/2 of the current store space, or whether they include the cafe space in that calculation).

Odd that the landlord wants to move another retail food store into the space and claims it wouldn't compete with Harvest.

Anyway, from the thread title I was thinking Harvest was going out of business altogether (which would be surprising, although I dunno whether WF cuts into their business in JP).
    It sounds like they left the cafe out of the entirely, and dude isn't sure where he's going.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012 edited

[extensively edited]

Duh, they do say half the size of the current grocer... which does imply just the store space.
    Cheez:...just moving to a much smaller space across the street...

"...only the grocery store knows its future..."All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    surprisefries:What, you guys don't want more banks in Central Sq.?

Another Indian restaurant is *badly* needed.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Though I have fond memories of Shalimar, there is definitely no such thing as too many Indian restaurants.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Royal East is the best one in Central!!!All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I've eaten at them all! Even at the Indian grocery!

There are probably very few Indian restaurants in the greater Boston area that I haven't eaten at at some point. I don't know if that's sad or awesome.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    chr|s sedition:
    Cheez:...just moving to a much smaller space across the street...

"...only the grocery store knows its future..."

Yeah, and then it mentions they'll be moving across the street, and I saw another linked article that also mentioned them moving across the street.
    ^^Why would that ever be sad? I vote awesome.

I've heard good things about the dosa place in the back of that grocery store, but have yet to try it.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Aww yeah!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Dosa Temple on S'ville Ave is the place to go imo... admittedly I haven't been to Dosa Factory, but I'm just gonna go with the neighborhood joint (and it's all vegetarian/some vegan, so yummy).
    ^seconded. Not an expert by any means but I am a fan.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    That joint up in Arlington is kick-ass, too. Right off Minuteman.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Oh man, my gf and I were biking the Minuteman on Sunday and we smelled that place. Smelled amazing! She'd been, but it's one of the few places I haven't been. Damn her. I think she's been to even more Indian places than I have.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorLyzard

This is really going to mess up my lunch since I work at the building across Essex st from Harvest.

For the past 5 years it's been the place for quick lunches and snacks.
    Especially when the weather sucks to the point where you don't want to even walk anywhere else.

I could take or leave that Conscience cafe though.
    The salad/soups/deli/sushi in the back of Harvest were always better and much quicker.

I'll be sure to stock up on my bulk grains, spices & teas before they move.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

The owner of CCC is/was a world-class asshole. Sad about co-op though."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    ^that seems evident from the name of the cafe.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    ^I wasn't gonna say anything, but yeah.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Harvest's customer service and produce blow...

I would only buy dry items there anyhow. I heard a new bike shop was going in there...Take-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthorFancy
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2012

Stormy For Mod!:Harvest's customer service and produce blow...

I would only buy dry items there anyhow.

I can't speak for the Cambridge location but this is also true of the JP location. I'll go to the WF before I give Harvest any of my money; especially considering the prices are the same.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2012

harvest was always solidly meh.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2012

^ If you're a member it can make sense. I support a local grocery store as opposed to WF et al. too. It's also good being a co-op. Their produce quality control is pretty poor at times, I agree - using farmers markets or CSA shares for that anyhow. But, the selection of organic and local 'dried' stuff is really good and living in Central it's just around the corner.

C3 started OK but went downhill quick. The coffee is not fantastic and the food there go a lot less well executed. There's many better choices around Central. Many!!!
    The Allston location had good shows. One of the most memorable being Behead The Prophet/No Lord Shall Live.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

My co-op in Albany has the same problem: great dried/bulk foods, pretty disappointing produce (though not as bad as Harvest). I think the biggest problem with these kinds of places is that they were founded in the 1970s, and still extol the food virtues of that age rather than trying to catch up with the priorities of now. So you can buy bulk tofu but you can't get seasonal produce. Pretty dumb.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs

^ Pretty much spot on there. Harvest hardly carry and local farm veg. All from CA or somewhere. Given the current thinking, possibilities, peoples awareness, it's SO stuck in the old school bulk tofu scenario!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2012 edited

chr|s sedition:The Allston location had good shows. One of the most memorable being Behead The Prophet/No Lord Shall Live.
    I only went to one or two of those shows at most, but a bunch of my roommates (back then) and their friends all worked at the Allston Coop... and went to all those shows. I remember helping some friends of theirs move using grocery carriages. Good times!
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012

wutt
    nooooooooooooo!!

i also work in camboport/central and i love their vegan specialty items that gives a big middle finger to whole foods and i'm so bummed to hear this!!
    ok, CCC can fuck off. but i <3 harvest! :( WAHHHH!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGilbert
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2012

Yeah, Harvest is the BEST for bulk items and spices. Also, the "only". The one in JP\ is horrible and always out of stuff but Central is solid. Especially for dry goods."You're dancing TOO SMALL; dominant males dance like THIS!" -(drunk) Nate, to me on the art of seduction and the role of dancing therein (while on a dancefloor)
    And Wendy's is gone, too!? And I thought it was bad back when Lucy Parsons, Surman's Donut Place, etc (my guess is most of you don't remember that) all got forced out of Central Sq.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2012

on the topic about ex-central grocery places, still bummed about purity supreme, lol.gone
    Oh shit. I forgot about Purity! GC gets old school points. The "Ethopian Resturant" was really, really good, too!All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Almost positive one of their sandwiches gave me food poisoning :/