Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2012

Moving the conversation over from the cyclist hit thread...

grev:i dont't think the big problem with huntington is the E-line (although it is a problem past brigham). traffic moves fast, there's no shoulder, there's no bike lane. if you want to ride safely you need to take a lane and match speed with the drivers. most commuters aren't going to do that, they're going to try and hug the curb and they're going to get doored or clipped by a car.

Yes, the speed differential problem is absolutely correct. It's fine going inbound when you have the hill to help you out, but outbound can be sketchy. If you were to remove the E Line entirely, that would probably allow enough room for a shared bike/bus lane on each side, like what's on Washington. Dedicated lane for the bus means it's not weaving in and out of traffic, and it means a HUGE bike lane for bikes so long as there's no bus in the way. There'll still be the bus/bike hopscotch problem but that's a problem anywhere there's buses, and it seems to me like I've had this problem less on Washington, for whatever reason.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Is this just about Huntington now or road improvements in general? Because I'm a huge fan of this recent push to remove McGrath and make it an accessible street. That would improve everything by about a thousand percent. I guess it's not really a discussion though, everyone hates that thing. Unfortunately the city wants to take like 15 years to do it..."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Ugh, I hate that thing too, unless I'm actually riding on it (which is only slightly terrifying). My suggestion would be to turn the whole thing into a bicycle highway.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    I suspect I may be the only person who enjoys riding the McGrath overpass inbound (outbound I just avoid it).

Still, I agree it should be removed and 28 put at street grade ASAP.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Every once in a while I see people ride it inbound. I've ridden both directions and outbound is much scarier (fast climb to a blind merge, what?). Inbound sort of feels like surfing.

I wonder what they'll do for that hop over the commuter rail line. Anyone know what the plans are?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorMJ

My main issue is the general state of disrepair that most of the roads around the city in general are in. I ride through Brookline regularly, with little to no issue; but the second I hit Boston the roads are terrible, and pot holes are everywhere.

Huntington is pretty terrible, I generally take the right lane no matter what; it's just not worth taking the chance.
    Am I the only one who gets buzzed even while taking the lane?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2012

^No. I'm pretty sure they think we are just assholes in their way when we take the lane -- not sending a message: "Don't pass me right now asshat"I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    Weirdly I get shit like that only rarely. Maybe it's cause I don't put many miles in, and very few in Boston proper? Maybe it's the beard.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee

I was clipped on the BU bridge last summer on my road bike - the southbound bike lane wasn't open yet. I was riding dead center, and he crossed the double-yellow and his mirror hit; maybe 5-10mph difference in speed. The asshole then brake-checked me. Looked in his rear view mirror, and slammed on the brakes. Luckily I saw him stare in the mirror and realized what he was going to do.

Last night, someone got clipped right as I was headed to the GLV ride; she was fine, it was low speed, mirror hit her...driver was an idiot teenager. The biker said the teenager was "fluffing up her hair."

2 minutes later, right in front of a cop doing traffic duty, some impatient asshole slowly rolls into me with the corner of his car as I'm stopped in the traffic jam. Rolls right into me. "HELLO?" I yelled.

This morning, a green-plate grouch who didn't like that he had to wait behind me for 15 seconds (crosswalk pylon ahead forced him to wait) buzzed me to show me just how annoyed he was.

I was telling Epic that I've noticed increasing rage this last year or so, definitely since the warm spring. I know the warm spring drove a TON of extra business to shops; John @ Ferris Wheels said they went insane. Normally in March they do inventory, have low staff, nothing's going on. BAM, sunny, 60 degrees all the time and zOMG EVERYONE WANTS TO BUY/RIDE/FIX/TUNEUP THEIR BIKE. They had big pieces of cardboard covering the windows, it was so bad. People would peer in and give them puppydog eyes...

So. Huge surge in the number of people biking this spring, I think. And all the advocacy organizations say "the more bikers there are, the safer things get", and they have stats to prove it. Well, correlation isn't necessarily causation, and while I believe they're partially right - some effect from drivers getting used to bikes, accepting them as part of the road 'landscape', etc - I believe quite firmly that it has increasingly enraged other drivers. That will not change until they start getting hauled into court and getting license suspensions. And they're the kind of people who see a "share the road" sign and think it means "bikers need to share the road WITH ME".

Years ago the state police got in a huff about cracking down on road rage, and it's high time Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville started doing the same. Have officers on normal bikes in civilian clothing but with a radio, and start setting examples. Looks like judges are willing to bite, at least to some degree - look at the texter that was sentenced. Granted it was only a year, but...it was something, more than I've heard about in a while.Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    • CommentAuthorgc

does that lattice-rotary thing painted on the street at brigham circle make anyone else dizzy optical illusion style or am i just crazy?gone
    ^^ Funny, 9 times out of 10 I find Somerville drivers extremely respectful to people on bikes. Might be dumb luck.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2012 edited

^^Holy shit YES.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorissues

tinyhonkshus:Am I the only one who gets buzzed even while taking the lane?

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.
    I've actually noticed an uptick in driver rage at pedestrians - like it's apparently the new thing to just HONK as you approach a busy intersection on the green, so everyone makes sure they stay out of your way so you don't have to even slow down or look where you're going.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    bee:...And all the advocacy organizations say "the more bikers there are, the safer things get", and they have stats to prove it...

I know Shane at least, in his capacity as blogger/more official MassBike person was always careful to say the data on that aren't really good enough to prove anything, but it seemed like that is the case.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    This morning I got slo-mo buzzed by a car on Webster Ave around the Camberville border. I tapped on his side-view and motioned for him to slide over. Didn't really work, but he didn't seem to get pissed either. Then he did give the girl in front of me a lot more room, at least.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2012

^^i'll totally buy that increased bikers will lead to increased awareness, because at some threshold volume driver's aren't going to be able to ignore bikes anymore and they're going to have to start actively looking out for us. but that's not going to happen without an initial growing pains period, which i believe we are in the beginning stages of. uptick in driver rage to increased volume is a predictable consequence, as unfortunate as that is.
    • CommentAuthorMJ
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2012

surprisefries:This morning I got slo-mo buzzed by a car on Webster Ave around the Camberville border. I tapped on his side-view and motioned for him to slide over. Didn't really work, but he didn't seem to get pissed either. Then he did give the girl in front of me a lot more room, at least.

The several times that I've done that, it's elicited one of two responses.

More commonly the people look at me, and generally are something similar to "Oh, sorry!" and move over a bit.

And then the other few times, whether it be on the mirror or tapping on the window, they'll get even more pissed and actively try to cause an accident.

It's happened a lot on Mass ave in front of the christian science center, especially worse now with the way that the parking/bike lane is set up. They'll cut me off to pull into a parking space, only to find out they wont fit and by the time I get next to them they're trying to pull out again without even so much as looking back.
    Word. I was prepared for either response, but the total lack of response caught me off guard.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjterb
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2013

Boston Redevelopment Authority has their second hearing tonight on a study to improve the hot mess that is S. Huntington. Not sure what, if any, good will come out of it, but could be worth attending to ensure they're at least aware of what a death trap those tracks and that stretch of road are for cyclists.
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg

Even as a very experienced cyclist, who has lived in Mission Hill for the better part of my 7 years in Boston and has ridden this route hundreds if not thousands of times, I still hate this line more than anything else in the city. If there is a bus in the equation.... fahgeddaboutit.

enjoy two cosmetics
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg

gc:does that lattice-rotary thing painted on the street at brigham circle make anyone else dizzy optical illusion style or am i just crazy?

Additionally, this thing is stronger than most hits of LSD.enjoy two cosmetics
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2013 edited

im partial to hating the heath street/s huntington tracks a fair bit more than those^^

somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Personally, I think the worst part of those tracks is trying to make a left off of S. Huntington at the bottom of the hill. It is hard to get positioned to not hit them at a really shallow angle and I always feel like the inbound T is gonna right hook me.

I bailed and broke a finger pretty badly about two years ago headed down the hill going around a double parked suburban or explorer or something. This was before they made an attempt to patch the gaps in the asphalt along the rails.bowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2013 edited

^I always take the safe/coward's way out by staying in the right lane, queuing up with peds, and crossing when the all-way walk comes. It's the only way I have any confidence I'll hit the tracks at 90 degrees and not get dusted by a car or train.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Also, Sean, I was looking for anything incriminating on your screen shot there and was sorely disappointed.
    You might want to edit out your email address though.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    haha yea i checked to make sure there wasnt anything ;]
    and thanks, done.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    joeyfresh:^I always take the safe/coward's way out by staying in the right lane, queuing up with peds, and crossing when the all-way walk comes. It's the only way I have any confidence I'll hit the tracks at 90 degrees and not get dusted by a car or train.

yeah, I have 3 intersections in Boston where I seriously believe you HAVE to run the light to be safe, and that's one of em. (other two are Longwood x Brookline and Harvard x Brighton (only if making a left from Harvard onto Brighton))i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2013

^is there any solution to these types of intersections? I totally concur with all three. I'm imagining some kind of bicycle-specific light that was somewhere between the pedestrian walk signs and the stop lights? I do like the bike lane bicycle-specific stop lights in Manhattan (granted I don't live there) I think they accurately segment out groups of people without marginalizing any of them.enjoy two cosmetics
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg

joeyfresh:^queuing up with peds, and crossing when the all-way walk comes

This is big for me at Longwood and Brookline but it's like, "hey peds, sorry I gotta do this but my other options are pretty fucked at this point so please don't think I'm dick despite this majorly dick move I'm about to pull."enjoy two cosmetics
    I never really thought of that as much of a dick move as long as you wait 'til the end of the cycle when they're pretty much cleared out. Doesn't always work though.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

ggreggg:"hey peds, sorry I gotta do this but my other options are pretty fucked at this point so please don't think I'm dick despite this majorly dick move I'm about to pull."

Haha, the bfixed hive mind speaks. I wouldn't be surprised if each of us has an almost word-for-word version of that.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2013 edited

as a cyclist trying to stay alive- it's not a dick move. as a new england human pedestrian who is constantly complaining or looking for something to complain about and does not have any idea of what perspective is granted from the saddle.. you're just running a red.

edit: waiting til the end of the cycle is the least dickish way to do it and to me it's saying "hey, see? dickish but not majorly dickish". also, smile. always smile.enjoy two cosmetics
    • CommentAuthorObo

ggreggg:I do like the bike lane bicycle-specific stop lights in Manhattan (granted I don't live there) I think they accurately segment out groups of people without marginalizing any of them.

The only one of these in "Boston" I've seen is in Cambridge by Porter Sq for the left turn across Mass Ave. And it seems entirely useless to me (I never use it, I just make the left with the cars.)I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg

one man's useless is another man's ahead of it's time!

but seriously- a one-off piece of infrastructure is totally useless. but when you drop a couple of them, along with some multi-faceted information regarding them (like they did with the bike boxes in the back bay) i think it's a worth a shot.enjoy two cosmetics
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg

I think they lend legitimacy to bikes. peds have walk signs, cars have traffic lights, and bikes could have their own too. it would also allow you to do some higher powered engineering with newer tools that says Ok- if we let these guys turn at this point, and these guys go straight, and stop these guys- it could really sort out the congestion compared to GREEN LIGHT EVERYONE GO LETS GO YEAH PEDS YOU TOO LETS JUST ALL GO WHATEVER!enjoy two cosmetics
    surprisefries:I never really thought of that as much of a dick move as long as you wait 'til the end of the cycle when they're pretty much cleared out. Doesn't always work though.

It fills me with blinding rage every morning when the walk sign goes on and like 6 bicyclists just BARREL into this huge group of people. Like, it's probably literally the worst place in Boston to do that, especially when you almost ALWAYS get a much clearer, safter shot at 2 or 1 on the countdown. I think that crossing light is long enough that they should take 2 seconds off the ped light and give us a "bike head start light" since you have to do that anyway to not get squashed. That way it wouldn't affect traffic patterns beyond that intersection.

Obo:
    ggreggg:I do like the bike lane bicycle-specific stop lights in Manhattan (granted I don't live there) I think they accurately segment out groups of people without marginalizing any of them.

The only one of these in "Boston" I've seen is in Cambridge by Porter Sq for the left turn across Mass Ave. And it seems entirely useless to me (I never use it, I just make the left with the cars.)

There's one in Harvard square to allow bikes to make a left from the Bike lane on Mass Ave onto Church Street. And if we're talking about the same light, I am disowning you for calling the gates of Harvard Yard "by Porter".i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Everytime im in Ho Chi Minh for work I'm fucking BAFFLED by the traffic there. Everyone is on a bike or scooter. And no one pays attention to lights or crosswalks or fucking anything. But there are NEVER accidents. Scooters and bikes have their own lights, cars have their own lights, and pedestrians take their lives in their hands leaving the house. Its amazing looking at a traffic circle when people were just bred into this mentality. Not like here in Boston where everyone feels like they're the most god damned entitled prick in the world. There needs to be a pecking order.
    And the tracks past Brigham need to be paved over.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    You're right, honks, going at the beginning of the walk sign is a supergigundo dick move. Also I think there is a bike-type light thing in that quasi-clusterfuck Porter Square intersection, though I hardly ever go through it so I'm nowhere near certainty.

Does anyone use that bike jug-handle to turn left on Church from Mass Ave? I have only made that turn a couple times but just centerlined and turned. I have used the jug handle though to squeeze by traffic to jump the lights to get a head start on taking a lane if I'm going under the underpass.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

killersim:Not like here in Boston where everyone feels like they're the most god damned entitled prick in the world

totally
    i feel like it's the culture, not the infrastructure (but honestly, i've never been out of the country so wtf do i know). if everyone is like ME FIRST, DICK! then shit's gunna go down

now that the community spoke is closed for the winter, i haven't ridden to/from JP in a long time and i have to say i don't miss the commute and the guess-who-has-the-right-of-way intersections on s. huntington

one night i almost got rear-ended by a car that thought it had to go around the little triangular median thing at huntington & south huntington - so they pretty much made a right onto huntington from S Hunt (from the left lane!), and then did a 180 around the median to go left on huntington. it was amazing. fuck that intersection. and yes the tracks on s. hunt while coming down the hill at heath street are no fun either. that's the #1 guess-who-has-the-right-of-way intersectionMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    • CommentAuthorObo

tinyhonkshus:

The only one of these in "Boston" I've seen is in Cambridge by Porter Sq for the left turn across Mass Ave. And it seems entirely useless to me (I never use it, I just make the left with the cars.)

There's one in Harvard square to allow bikes to make a left from the Bike lane on Mass Ave onto Church Street. And if we're talking about the same light, I am disowning you for calling the gates of Harvard Yard "by Porter".

Hahah, no I didn't know about that one, I've never made that left turn in my whole life. I mean the one by Porter Station...I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

if i'm heading into harvard from central and i have to go down church street i seriously get off my bike, walk through the thing where the pit and the t stop is, and then get back on my bike

the one in porter doesn't make any sense at all. it's for folks who aren't comfortable using the two left turning lanes?? i never understood that...Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

killersim:
    And the tracks past Brigham need to be paved over.

Yes, yes, yes. The E-line past Brigham circle is the least used of all the T-lines, plus there are two bus lines squeezing through the same narrow stretch. We don't need triple redundancy in public transportation, and those tracks have contributed to a huge number of cyclist injuries, plus at least one death. All the tracks past Brigham Circle should go.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg

I've heard when they pitched to shut it down so I believe you but is there a source for this?
    I feel like that one still gets used during the day compared to when I take the T to work in Wellesley and you're the only person on the train zooming past some of the priciest areas in the Northeast

nerdo:
    The E-line past Brigham circle is the least used of all the T-lines
    enjoy two cosmetics
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2013 edited

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/documents/Bluebook%202010.pdf

Go to the page titled "Green Line Branch Ridership" and contrast it with the page right before it. If you were to make a simple spreadsheet, as I did, you can see that even the Mattapan Trolley gets more ridership than the E-line past Brigham. (NOTE: I had intended to include the last 5 stops on all the T lines, but it's pretty obvious that the Red/Orange/Blue lines get way more end-of-line ridership than the Green. So I only included likely contenders for the bottom spot.)

Now, if you go to the page titled "Ranked Typical Day Bus Ridership as of April 2010" you can see that the 39 is the third most popular bus route in the whole system. Also, the 66 is the second most popular bus route, and it also runs along the same stretch. Why would you need to keep the least popular T-line when you have both the second and third most popular bus lines running along the same stretch of road, particularly when getting rid of the T-line there can make it dramatically safer for cyclists, drivers, and MBTA riders (who currently have to cross a lane of traffic just to board the T)? Makes no sense.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorjterb
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2013

ggreggg:

I think they lend legitimacy to bikes. peds have walk signs, cars have traffic lights, and bikes could have their own too. it would also allow you to do some higher powered engineering with newer tools that says Ok- if we let these guys turn at this point, and these guys go straight, and stop these guys- it could really sort out the congestion compared to GREEN LIGHT EVERYONE GO LETS GO YEAH PEDS YOU TOO LETS JUST ALL GO WHATEVER!

Lived in New York for two years, and these lights work wonders. Only problem is they really only function as a means to prevent right/left hooks on one way streets with multiple lanes of traffic. When bikes have the green, cars in the turn lane get a red, and vice versa. Not sure if they could improve the clusterfuck that is S. Huntington, but they'd be great elsewhere in the city for sure.

Also, fuck Heath St. The number of times I've been nearly t-boned by cars ignoring the yield sign as they race onto S. Huntington is unbelievable. Basically, options become 1) get boned by car 2) swerve, take wonky angle over tracks, risk wiping out in front of cars barreling down the hill.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

if it's same road same rules, there shouldn't be a need for bike lights. #AMIRITE
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg

nerdo:http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/documents/Bluebook%202010.pdf

Go to the page titled "Green Line Branch Ridership" and contrast it with the page right before it. If you were to make a simple spreadsheet, as I did, you can see that even the Mattapan Trolley gets more ridership than the E-line past Brigham. (NOTE: I had intended to include the last 5 stops on all the T lines, but it's pretty obvious that the Red/Orange/Blue lines get way more end-of-line ridership than the Green. So I only included likely contenders for the bottom spot.)

Now, if you go to the page titled "Ranked Typical Day Bus Ridership as of April 2010" you can see that the 39 is the third most popular bus route in the whole system. Also, the 66 is the second most popular bus route, and it also runs along the same stretch. Why would you need to keep the least popular T-line when you have both the second and third most popular bus lines running along the same stretch of road, particularly when getting rid of the T-line there can make it dramatically safer for cyclists, drivers, and MBTA riders (who currently have to cross a lane of traffic just to board the T)? Makes no sense.

fantastic stuff! thanks so much for sharing.enjoy two cosmetics
    •  
      CommentAuthorissues
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2013

Did I miss some mysterious outcry? Because the E-line start running past Brigham Circle on the weekends again like two months ago, not long after they had shut down weekend service. It was like that for a few weeks, then suddenly I see a train on a Sunday afternoon heading up S.Huntington. If this is in fact the least ridden part of a T line, then why did it start back up after having been shut down so briefly?