Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

seriously? i havnt been down s. Huntington in awhile so i must not have noticed. Thats bullshit. Im sure a handful of people called in and bitched about it and now look at that, its back. Fucking losers.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2013

Right, the fact is probably 40 people really like that the T stops right outside their house and takes them directly to Northeastern, or wherever they're going. Whenever you remove (or add) service, somebody's going to be upset. I'm just annoyed that the city isn't able to do a simple cost/benefit analysis on that stretch. It can't be generating enough income to justify the expense and risk of operating the tracks there. Plus, it's not like the people displaced by removing the tracks will suddenly decide to buy cars and never use the T ever again. They'll just become bus riders instead.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    nerdo:I'm just annoyed that the city isn't able to do a simple cost/benefit analysis on that stretch. It can't be generating enough income to justify the expense and risk of operating the tracks there.

This, precisely. My big gripe is the 39 bus runs THE EXACT SAME path, it even goes farther.
    It was funny, i was riding in with a dude the other day who's lived in JP for like 30 years so he was around when the tracks went all the way down centre st. He said sometimes it takes local business (gentrification?) to create revenue in an area to discount the tracks because of pedestrian and parking needs. I can't even imagine riding or driving down center st if the train still ran too. I don't know if that will ever happen to that intersection on heath, but its certainly already a problem on Huntington past Brigham. I bet we'll see the tracks get paved over in the next ten years, it just sucks that its waiting to happen in a time of greater traffic, and accidents/death are a greater byproduct because of it.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    • CommentAuthorObo

Has anyone seen the new transpo bill Patrick has put forward???I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    killersim:
    nerdo:I'm just annoyed that the city isn't able to do a simple cost/benefit analysis on that stretch. It can't be generating enough income to justify the expense and risk of operating the tracks there.

This, precisely. My big gripe is the 39 bus runs THE EXACT SAME path, it even goes farther.
    It was funny, i was riding in with a dude the other day who's lived in JP for like 30 years so he was around when the tracks went all the way down centre st. He said sometimes it takes local business (gentrification?) to create revenue in an area to discount the tracks because of pedestrian and parking needs. I can't even imagine riding or driving down center st if the train still ran too. I don't know if that will ever happen to that intersection on heath, but its certainly already a problem on Huntington past Brigham. I bet we'll see the tracks get paved over in the next ten years, it just sucks that its waiting to happen in a time of greater traffic, and accidents/death are a greater byproduct because of it.

Huh, yeah... apparently they ceased service beyond Heath in 1985, can't remember when they pulled them up but I was living there, so between 02-04 (tbf it also took them about that long to pull-up the A-line tracks through Brighton and Newton/Watertown).

My understanding in the past was that they maintained the E-line beyond Brigham Circle because old people liked it, but I don't know if that's as much of a reason now as it once was, what with the changing demographics of the city. Although I wonder if Mission Park plays a role (and maybe NE Baptist?).

It would make things much better if they tore up the tracks and repaved.
    even if Mission Park and NE Baptist were a reason, i feel like The Ride, Shuttle service, and the 39 are all there to provide that need. For sure too that the demographic of the areas has changed dramatically too. I know there are still elderly in the area, but the back of the hill and JP have certainly become a much more college aged/ young professional haven, even in the 8 years i've been in Boston.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

NE Baptist! I did not think of that. I wonder if there's political pressure there that we're not privy to.

Yes, I moved here in 2000 and I don't think they finished pulling up the Centre St tracks until 2004 or later. Nonsensical!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    nerdo:

Yes, I moved here in 2000 and I don't think they finished pulling up the Centre St tracks until 2004 or later. Nonsensical!

Well, there was a lot of pressure right up until the end from local businesses and some residents to actually RESTORE train service all the way to the monument. I remember being horrified at the thought when seeing the signs in store windows "BRING BACK THE T!" ... I also remember bleeding heavily after wiping out on those tracks a number of times over the years. I still get happy goosebumps sometimes riding down Centre just to realize they are actually gone forever.
    ^^It was later, I moved here in 12/04 and it was a while after that before the last of those tracks got paved over.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D