Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortweedledum
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2012

Riding out to JP from Tosci Park this afternoon to Jamaica Pond, taking a dip for those who are interested, then to the Arboretum to enjoy nature in the city. Meet at Tosci Park at 5:00
    Lol, I was going to (jokingly) ask if you were going to swim.

Yu(c)k?
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2012

^ yes, yuck. very much so.Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    Swam last night at 3AM there. Not yuck; cleaner than Somerville's accessible bodies of water, which all have bacteria warnings laid on them.
    What would that be... the Mystic River and... Spy Pond and... Upper Mystic Lake is it?

Not exactly much to write home about, the lot of them.
    Also, they might not bother putting up warning signs for humans when you're not allowed to swim/wade there anyway (Jamaica Pond). Rules, people!
    ^ Yeah Spy Pond/Mystic

I was told the bottom of JP Pond was grody. Seemed fine to me. Every time I've come out of Spy Pond I get an ear infection. Mystic's aight, I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2012 edited

Yeah... tbf you're probably more than correct. The storm drains in the vicinity flow into the pond, which is somewhat yucky... but beyond that the major downside would appear to be the $50 ticket you could get if you got caught swimming in the pond (at the same time, it seems likely that no one is really testing water quality in a way that would be meaningful, why bother when no one is supposed to be swimming there anyway?)

As for Somerville's "options" Spy Pond seems to have many of the same problems Jamaica Pond theoretically might have, but if you look at recent testing results, it appears they also test pretty high for Cyanobacteria when the weather's hot for a stretch.

I figure anything that involves the Mystic watershed (Aberjona, etc) ought to be viewed as suspicious absent better information what with its industrial history (although the documented issue at the DCR beach seems to be human-hygiene related).
    I have swum in spy pond a number of times, no worse for wear. But...Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt