Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorbeerme99
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2012

So what's missing is a women's E-gel Serfas bike seat and a silver metal post fairly long and about 1.25" in diameter.

Someone has been targeting my red GT bike parked on Hemenway St, this is the second time my seat and post have been stolen and a piece of metal has been pulled out of the fence where I chain it (I know, it's my fault for leaving it out a second time) but I live in a studio on the third floor of a very small building and there is no way I can carry my bike up everyday - I'm recovering from hip surgery. I use it everyday to commute and move around where I park it. The first time I kept it under a surveillance camera and knew the exact hours the theft took place but the police didn't do anything and told me to bring it inside (do you carry your car up 3 narrow flights of stairs with a bad hip, asshole?). I'm trying to sell my bike for a smaller one I can carry in with ease but if pieces keep going missing then it isn't worth anything. The best part is they left a seat/post in it's place that doesn't fit my bike but it's a black Huffy Commuter series that I'm taking to the police. I was thinking about going neighborhood watch and when they come back for the rest of the bike (which they will since they've been trying so hard) I'll come at them with that piece of shit. I'm not really going to do that but we really do need to start persecuting/catching these scumbags. I should be able to park my mode of transportation safely. Also, I'm brand new and if anyone can tell me how to post pictures that'd be great! Thanks! And I'd really appreciate helpful tips and not "you're an idiot for leaving your bike out" replies. My bike is going to be safe inside until I get a smaller one and I will be walking 3 miles to work everyday. I'll be keeping my eyes out for all of your stolen bikes!
    Cheers.
    • CommentAuthorroburrito

If your seatpost collar uses a quick release, switch to a bolt clamping one. And they sell cables that loop through the saddle and the frame to prevent theft. If they are loosening the bolt and cutting the cable, and this is a pure commuting beater bike, you can always glue the post into the frame.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrmull

You could also glue a ball bearing into the bolt head to deter unwanted wrenchings. You can get it back out with solvent and a little bit of time, just check the chemical properties of your glue and solvent to be sure they'll work for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

This cheery motherfucker has a cheap solution.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2012 edited

This kind of supports my theory that a lot of bike thiefs steal just for sport, or to be sedistic. I don't know how much those Serfas fetch, but unless it's a fancy name-brand seatpost, they're not going to be able to flip it for anything.
    • CommentAuthordoug?

^ truth. In cases like this, it's always a good idea to check the nearest trash cans for your shit.
    • CommentAuthorbeerme99

Wow! Thanks for all of the comments/tips. This is my first bike ever and I bought it myself (expensiiiiive) and I know nothing about bikes especially bikes in the big city. Tonight is going to be a stakeout (me and baseball bat vs scumbag bike thieves) and if they don't come back tonight my baby is going home to Maine to be repaired or traded in/downsized. As for my next bike I will definitely use all of the advice posted above. Thanks again.
    Good luck with the bat, let us know how it goes.

For future reference (and I really hope you never need to do this again), it'd be more appropriate to post in the stolen bikes thread. That's probably why this thread got stinkied.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D