Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012 edited

Midnight Pedalers – Boston by Bike … at Night

Twenty-third Annual Tour of Architectural and Historic Sites

This year’s overnight bike ride is Saturday, August 11 (into the 12th, of course).

Meet in front of Trinity Church, Copley Square at 11:15pm, leave Copley around midnight. Traditionally, dawn finds the group at Castle Island, and there’s breakfast at the end in Christopher Columbus park. Riders are requested to bring a bike light, wear a helmet and something reflective, have a spare inner tube (that fits your tires), and bring something for breakfast. Commemorative T-shirts available.

It’s not a particularly taxing ride (about 30 miles or so) with stops to look at different sights along the way. Riding around the city at night when there is almost no traffic is a great experience. It’s fun to be out in a large group and to learn something of the history of the city.

Sponsored by the Back Bay Midnight Pedalers. More information
    available at 617-522-0259.

-Boston Biker

From some poking around it looks like people (both on here and randoms online) really enjoy this trip. Anyone else planning to go? Anyone on here done it before?

I hate riding slow and hate riding in big groups, but I really like history and tours so I think I'll try to stay awake for it.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Goddamnit why is this always when I'm out of town.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I can't find button "register online". How to get it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012 edited

I imagine you just show up equipped to ride?

Kinda reminds me of the "History Cat" series I came up with in the vaguest sense, essentially a "race" for fun against the clock (for bragging rights) that's designed to be run at any time. The tagged-photos game is in a sense similar, in that I couldn't think of any other way for it to work other than taking timestamped photos at every stop with your bike in 'em. For it to have any educational value I'd probably have to do write-ups for each stop (for the record if one were to even term this an idea, please view it as open-source one that people are welcome to make a reality, I only ask that the basic concept remain open to anyone to use, not that it's really all that different than any themed alleycat. I invented a new kind of sliced bread, really I did. Wanna buy a bridge?)

Or, y'know, a person could just go on this (on-topic) ride and not rely on me to take the idea beyond the half-baked stage. it does seem a little slow-moving, but I'm sure it'll be great fun regardless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgytterberg
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012 edited

I did this once, after years of badly wanting to and missing it for different reasons. As a bike ride it is incredibly lame. It's more of a walking tour with bikes. The route was really goofy - constantly going into some weird corner that gives a great view of a nice bit of architecture, but which requires 150 people to all turn their bikes around in place and start riding in the opposite direction after 5 minutes of talking. Standing in the middle of that many nerds on bikes (a fair few on recumbents or tandems) all trying to pick their bikes up and turn them around and get going again is excruciating. At one point the route went down a staircase on a pedestrian way, requiring those 150 nerds to get off and carry their bikes down the tiny flight of stairs one and two at a time. I eventually decided getting some sleep that night was worth more to me than watching the sun rise over Castle Island and left early.

The lecture is very interesting and it's led by some pretty erudite people, but don't go expecting a nice ride.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2012

Yeah, I'm going expecting a terrible ride. And knowing me, I will also probably bail early out of frustration. But I'm going to give it a shot.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries