Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012 edited

i think this forum's missing a little fun. so, i propose a time-tested game (blatantly stolen from PHLbikes.com) of photo tag.

i'll start off the thread with a picture of my bike at a specific location in boston-area (look below for neighborhoods). y'all have to get a picture of your bike in the same location/vantage point. then, in the same ride, tag your bike somewhere else in the city.

RULES
    1. post a photo of your bike at the previous tag.
    1a. make sure your bike's visible
    1b. replicate any notable things the person/s are doing in the tag (e.g. pewping, slapping pawl in the face, slashing your own tires, eating tofu, calling your mom, getting arrested, huffing glue, mowing grass, painting a self-portrait, brewing kombucha etc.)

2. if you can't get to the spot where the previous tag is, try again later

3. post the general address of the site.

4. post a photo of your bike at a new tag location (#1-3 must be made in the same post). new tag and old tag must be tagged on the SAME ride. no savesies.

5. hints may be requested after 24 hours. calm yer whining.

6. if people get bored of your tag/can't find it (even with hints), you get the point and you may post another tag. HOWEVER, overly obscure tags should be stricken down by board consensus. do another one.

7. multi-bike tags: note all of the people tagging, if more than yourself. a point will be given to each bike tagged. all bikes must be included in both the old and new tag for points to count.

8. any issues debated issues will be decided on a case-by-case basis, by board consensus. nuggs has final word, so give him a bj.

9. if you are upset about something in this thread, you must offset it with something funny.

NEIGHBORHOODS
    -Allston
    -Boston
    -Brighton
    -Brookline
    -Cambridge
    -Charlestown
    -Dorchester
    -East Boston
    -JP
    -Mattapan
    -Roslindale
    -Roxbury
    -Somerville
    -Southie
    -West Roxbury

FIRST TAG:
    Photobucket

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATES
    8/3:
    -please note who else is at your tag if you got multiple bikes. 1 point will be given to each bike tagged.
    10/4:
    -no hints required before 24 hours if new tag not found
    -more detailed rule #1 definition
    a. clearly visible bike/location reproduction of previous tag
    b. do any weird shit the tagger before did, if it's notable (moons in tag, 2 dongs in tag, etc.)
    -bike placement is not important, as long as it's visible in the tag
    c. if you can't get to the tag because the area's closed, try again later
    d. be faithful to the tag's perspective to make sure the tag photo's from a similar spot
    -example: on top of a building versus below it, inside v. outside.
    e. remember, the location of the bike isn't important. get the main subject matter in there.
    -rule 9
    -nuggs has final word
    -multi-bike points only if bikes in old/new tag (on an individual basis)
    -googledoc standings
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012

WHAT ABOUT RULE TWO!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

the responding tagger posts the general cross streets after finding the area and posting a like picture, obvs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez

On the _________ _______, ___ mural?

Edited to not ruin anyone's fun.
    Er, whoops, am I already ruining this?

Typical!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012

haha, no. but now you just let everyone else know where it is. you have to post a photo of your bike there to get a point. don't forget to find a new tag after to post, as well.
    I suspect someone else will beat me to it anyway, but I like the concept and will hopefully get to jump in as it rolls along.
    EPIC! ITS ON!All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Photobucket

Congress & Atlantic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Tried to make mine pretty easy, but fun. Next time it will be a little bit harder.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAll you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Dang Mr. Latenight... I was gonna go ride downtown this morning and snag the first one. Oh vell... you snooze you lose.
    Gonna go snag it better ride fast!
    Dang it, I rolled up just as Ted was setting up for the photo. My bike made the photo as well, but he gets the win. He just needs to get to a computer to upload the photo.
    MORE LIKE TAGTEAM'N'BRAG!

here's the hideous jabbering head on mass ave in front of MIT. my bike got some Cheez on it. (kudos for holding out for my dumb phone to stop freaking out from the humidity.)

here's where y'all gotta head next.
    Way to stick it to the fixiedelightfulhappysensitivewonderfulfuckingpeople, brah!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    babyfries 4 mod:Way to stick it to the fixiefags, brah!

If you wouldn't say fixieniggers, then you certainly shouldn't say fixiefags.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Cheez:Dang Mr. Latenight... I was gonna go ride downtown this morning and snag the first one. Oh vell... you snooze you lose.

I got out work at 2:15am last night...wasn't too far out of the way home to make the tag. :)All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    I disagree, because fixieniggers is not an insult commonly hurled by brodudes that is ripe for claiming as our own in humor.

But I do not want to start this whole thing again so I changed it.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012 edited

Pho

To

I had a hard time getting the same perspective as Ted... judges?

Prospect Hill Monument in Somerville. Greenville St and Monroe (had to look at a map to get the cross street)

Go

This one's a little harder. I am more than willing to give clues due to the difficulty level. I'll say this, I had limited time, made it quick (but didn't want to go for either of my way more obvious options).

[LATER EDITING to add some info about this tag, same details below]: wanted to add something about the Atherton Round House, expect to see something like this for a lot of my tags. More details about the house and its original owner/builder Enoch Robinson here and here.
    ^ Didn't post location!All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    babyfries 4 mod:I disagree, because [fixie-n-word] is not an insult commonly hurled by brodudes that is ripe for claiming as our own in humor.

But I do not want to start this whole thing again so I changed it.

Some of us don't really like brodude talk, I was never in a frat and I wouldn't join one if asked. Fuck that shit!

(The language, cheez! I write to my mother with this dirtymouthed brain?)
    ^^^no hints needed, Cheez! if it isn't tagged by the time i get outta work, it's mine! that being said, i am assuming it'll be tagged by the time i get outta work.

edit: you missed the angle because you were across the street from where i got my picture.
    •  

chr|s sedition:^ Didn't post location!

I know, I wanted to get the photos up before any of the locals on here beat me to it (Fries, Bens?, Geekhouse riding ladies of various names), edited to include location.

Sorry I couldn't go further afield this time, I had a few ideas that involved a longer ride, but I slipped out for a second and didn't want to get busted.

clockwork ted:

edit: you missed the angle because you were across the street from where i got my picture.

D'oh, didn't see the bushes for the trees... I did indeed shoot from the other side of Greenville. Judges? Do I pass muster or am I SOL?
    Well, since we are just starting, I say Cheez gets a point. HOWEVER, I think this (the different angle) should be an example of what NOT to do in the future, and will result in NO POINT going forward.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  

That sounds fair, although I'd also be ok with the tag being accepted (this time) but no point awarded due to relegation (or it not being accepted at all, rules are rules dammit). It's close but it's different (although, it would be a shame if we get too focused on the perspective being exactly the same so early in the game... people could get awfully tricky by shooting from some hard to replicate perspective). To be fair to me both photos are from the same side of Monroe Street, and show the monument from a similar perspective, I just didn't see the bush Ted had his bike leaned up against on my phone and leaned the bike against the back of a parked crappy car on the opposite side of Greenville St, the dinky little sidestreet that runs up to the monument. How did the Philly folks handle such things in the early rounds?

It's right around the corner from my house, so I was tempted to go back and reshoot the photo from the correct perspective, but then I'd have to go reshoot the new location too if I were to truly abide by the rules.
    Cheez:...it would be a shame if we get too focused on the perspective being exactly the same so early in the game... people could get awfully tricky by shooting from some hard to replicate perspective)...

Oh yeah, if it hadn't been dark when I was riding home last night I had some really fun ideas for "hard to replicate" perspectives. My first thought was bike on home plate, climb back stop, and take pic of bike on ground (Boston common softball field). During daylight, I am certainly going to get creative with perspective...that said, it should NEVER be a requirement that it be "exact," pretty damn close, but not exact (E.g. the back stop / softball field idea could also be done just by *standing* over home plate).All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    for the record i wasn't trying to be tricky/artsy in my picture, but i like the idea and plan to make it a little less straightforward once this thing gets going.

eta: i also have no problem with Cheez' angle. it got the point across.
    clockwork ted:i like the idea and plan to make it a little less straightforward once this thing gets going.

I suspect this game will become extremely amusing once the locations become more obscure/photos harder to replicate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012

i personally think the angle is close enough in this case. i think the rule's more intended to make sure you're actually as close as possible to the original tag. it becomes a bigger deal if you have to mtb up a gnar hill or get somewhere on a bridge. naw mean?

great tags so far! i'll post the googledocs soon in the op.
    Go

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Atherton & Beech (Somerville)

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAll you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    oooo, good one^
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

nice tagging. you don't need to repost the old tag, though. 2 photos per post, eh?
    Nuggetross:nice tagging. you don't need to repost the old tag, though. 2 photos per post, eh?

Ok. I was just including it for a quick ref on perspective.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  

You've already thrown me for a loop with the latest tag...

Wait, no, I found it by searching around for a little while. Hmm...
    ^ Here is one additional pic. This is the one I was originally going to post, but my bike wasn't clear so I posted the other one.

•  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

ooh ohhhh...i know where that is!
    Is it bad I'm just tempted to keep checking metadata from these photos.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

#goodidea #kindalame
    I have to confess I tried google image searching the most recent one, hilariously it exclusively suggested underexposed photos of Japan (sometimes just random station wagons).

Oddly enough looking at the structure I correctly guessed what institution uses it, after one or two errant attempts, but of that institution's fields I didn't see that one initially (then randomly got lucky with slightly different search terms).

I imagine I'd recognize most older structures, but I'm sadly out of it when it comes to stuff built in the last 10 years in the Boston area (so I resorted to le google).
    Cheez:Oddly enough looking at the structure I correctly guessed what institution uses it, after one or two errant attempts, but of that institution's fields I didn't see that one initially (then randomly got lucky with slightly different search terms).

Hmm. You *might* be off on the guess. While this may be giving a hint, there is no "institution" anywhere near where that pic was taken.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    No, I'm in the right place... Unfortunately it's in use.
    • CommentAuthorgc

fixiebro is the appropriate nomenclaturegone
    •  

photo.JPG

(Smith?) Russell Field off Rindge Ave in Cambridge by the pool. Nary a John Travolta in sight, but Tristan Dave and I all got in together (hairy getting all three bikes to stand). They arrived together and were waiting in the stands for the field to clear when I slipped in a side entrance. AstroTurf!

photo.JPG

Sorry, kinda tough. Will give clues if you need them. Multiple bikes and herb-smoking homies optional.

ETA after Epic was there:Riverside Press Park in Cambridge. Artwork is "Bread" (1983) by David Phillips (also did the frog statues at the Frog Pond).
    ^this is easy! Belly is way too full to go take this photo right now. Maybe in the am.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Smith Field is behind Harvard Stadium (where wed Polo games are). Not sure what the "alewife" park is actually called. EPIC!, I'd go sniper you on the new tag, but I have to get up at 4:30am (have to be at Westover Airforce Base in western Ma *at* 6:30am), and am going to bed shortly. Will be back Sunday, and can't wait to see what has become of this thread by then.

BTW, this thread is the best thing to happen to BFG since the MS Paint Mishap thread. ALL day I kept looking at everything around me trying to find funny/irreverent places to "tag" in the future...I have some pretty amusing ideas. Next week is going to fun. :PAll you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  

Sorry, it's actually Russell Field, and I was wrong about which school uses it... for some reason I though BB&N used it, but it's actually CRLS.

It is pretty darned amusing! I too have many ideas for future tagging.

EPIC! Stratton:^this is easy! Belly is way too full to go take this photo right now. Maybe in the am.

We debated using a shot showing a different angle, but thought it would be too hard.

ETA: wanted to add something about the Atherton Round House, expect to see something like this for a lot of my tags. More details about the house and its original owner/builder Enoch Robinson here and here. I cut and pasted this information into the original post after Chris snagged the point.

Couldn't get the bike to balance like the guys above, so this'll have to do. Anyways, this is at Memorial Drive and River Street, in the people's republic of Cambridge
    clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012 edited

photo.JPG

Amory Park in Brookline, shot from near Hull's Pond looking toward Amory Street. Have to confess I knew it was a Brookline park right away, but I initially thought it might be Beaconsfield (white fence, but not in the right place for it to be Beaconsfield), offhand didn't remember there was a backstop/diamond at Amory.

photo.JPG

Sorry to be a points hog, expect I will fall behind quickly during the week. Happy to give hints if people are at a loss (for the record I would never choose anything that involved trespassing).

ETA after Chris snagged it: Statue, "Eternal Presence" outside of the Museum of the National Center of African American Artists, 300 Walnut Ave, Roxbury (house is Abbotsford, 19th century mansion built from Roxbury Puddingstone).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012

I KNEW EPIC LOVED BROOKLINE TOO MUCH FOR THAT TO BE ANYWHERE ELSE. yes, we were talking about this at joe's wedding thang.

#pointshog
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012

and hey cheez, points hog, I SEE A VIOLATION. you didn't get tagged after the joint ted tag. CONSIDER THIS A WARNING. FUTURE POINT DEDUCTIONS WILL OCCUR. THERE'S ONLY ONE PLACE TO GO FROM THE TOP.
    •  
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012 edited

We didn't know it was possible for multiple people to get a point at that point, and I think he did mention me, but you are correct that I wasn't formally tagged, in the future we shall abide by your onerous rules!