Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2012 edited

in a motion to keep the accidents thread from being bumped and making people think the worst, here's a place to post your summaries to get an idea of who's experienced the unfortunate situation of being in an accident with a vehicle.

nerdo:That makes me wonder, in a morbid kind of way: How many people here have been hit by a car at some point biking here? I know I've been hit at least 9 times, all in normal riding. Many more close calls. Here's my list:

1 dooring
    2 parking space dives
    1 parking space exit
    1 u-turn
    1 left hook
    2 road rage attacks
    1 squeezed between two box trucks (wasn't injured, didn't fall, but I thought for sure I was going to get crushed...super scary)

I've been biking in the Boston area since 2000. I spent the last two years in upstate NY and had no problems. Before that, I biked in Seattle for 5 years and only had one minor accident with a car. Seems a little dramatic by comparison. People who know me know that I can be an aggressive rider, but part of that aggression came out of being constantly assaulted by cars while biking here. Anyway, I'd say "be safe out there" but that always sounds like victim blaming to my ear. The truth is, your girlfriend was probably riding safe already but she got hit anyway. The message needs to be "drive safe" but nobody seems to be making that message heard to the people who need to hear it...
    somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2012

ratattack:Started biking in Boston in 2006.

4 left hooks (2 serious, separated my shoulder the 1st time and got roughed up/bike totaled the 2nd)
    1 dooring
    plenty of close calls
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

Nuggetross:boston since 2008:
    1 left hook (night w/ front light/reflective clothing)
    2 dives (day)
    1 door (day)

1 year in philadelphia:
    0 (party time)
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

paul jameson:Boston since 2009:
    1 left hook
    2 doorings
    1 t-bone

injuries: 0
    bikes totaled: 1

people might want this moved to a less alarming thread.

Me falling down on my own has caused way more damage than cars have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

Blitz:Couldn't agree more, nerdo.

I've been riding in Boston since last September, and although I've had plenty of close calls, I've only really been hit once (right hook by a dump truck). No major damage though, thankfully.
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

mrotown:2003

1 from behind (the worst injury wise = broke collarbone)
    2 right hook
    1 left hook
    3 t bones from the drivers running stop signs

I'm very safe rider.
    2 of these were in the burbs on my road bike
    Those were also both extremly lucrative.
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

surprisefries:Riding in Boston since 2007. I feel like I've gotten off pretty easy.

1 ran into the back of a car that stopped short (n00b mistake)
    1 ran into the side of a car that stopped short (n00b mistake)
    1 pothole in the dark + ice (my worst crash)
    1 right hook
    1 intentionally squeezed by an SUV but no contact.
    Plenty of close calls.
    No significant injuries.
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

BAUMANN:2007

1 dooring in the first week i had a bike (didn't even realize it was something that could happen haha)
    countless "almosts" that i have been lucky enough to avoid

every time i hear about someone's "pay day" accident(s) i always decide that when the next "almost" happens i just wont brake and see what happens, i never do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

howl:Boston since 2000, bad car interactions:
    1 right hook
    2x hit from behind (same winter, within 2 weeks of each other)
    1 intentional sideswipe.
    Last car related incident was more than 4 years ago.

By far my worst crash was a single bike incident.
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

Obo:Riding in Boston since 2009

1 right hook, no real injuries
    1 ice fall
    1 almost serious injury from a left-turning car. real glad he stopped

several cabbies in Harvard Sq I've wanted to u-lock
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

myself:
    riding since 2008 in boston, australia, DC, and across the country.
    happily have not made contact with a car outside of me kicking them when they're about to do a right hook or a surprise move for a parking space.

-within an inch of being doored about 4 times
    -almost got run over by the same 40ft RV twice in Idaho
    -almost t-boned a car who pulled out in front of me when it was raining but i slid outsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

BAUMANN:every time i hear about someone's "pay day" accident(s) i always decide that when the next "almost" happens i just wont brake and see what happens, i never do.

My friend had her back broken in a hit and run. Cary lost 5 teeth and only got enough money to pay for the dental work to repair them. I know you know this already, but it is totally not worth the risk,misery and the luck involved in getting run over by a decent, well-insured human. Cary's said he would've PAID money to not have had to go through that. & he hasn't even started the process of getting dental implants yet.
    Biking and skateboarding in the city since the early 1990s...and only ONE accident with a car, which was 4 weeks ago (Well, I've been forced into curb a few times). I credit that record to (a) extreme luck, (b) avoiding the bike lane as much as possible to remain more "visible" in traffic (and away from car doors), and (c) a very good sense of situational awareness. I am not a super "safe" rider (or maybe I am with that track record); I stop for traffic and pedestrians (but not for a light *just* because it is red), lane split all the time, usually ride at a decent speed, etc.

EDIT: More close calls than I can ever remember, and plenty of assorted crashes (ice, dropped chain, doom pothole, etc.)

My luck with flat tires...well, that is a whole different story.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

If we're counting incidents where I hit cars, I'd have to add a couple to my tally. I only included incidents where I was the victim. I've also had a couple bad accidents caused by "SJS" (Sudden Jaywalker Syndrome).Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

nothing in 5 years in DC, 10 weeks in the burbs outside Chicago and someone cut me off and immediately slammed on the brakes. effed up my seatpost, my knee, and my face, but not too bad.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    Riding since '99, fly til I die, I...okay.

Since '08
    2 cut off (in same direction of travel) vs car
    1 parking garage exit in which I did a ninja roll across the dude's hood (according to bystanders)
    1 left hook (in same direction of travel) vs car (which ended hilariously when I spilled my coffee through his window onto his white slacks)
    1 parallel parking fiasco in which the guy pulled past me, over to the side (right in front of me) and then backed up even though I was now stopped right behind him. It took some serious bellringing to get him to stop.
    1 head on collision with a state police car that was parked right over one of the arched bridges on the esplanade perfectly out of sight from the other side.
    1 left hook across traffic in which I broke my hand, fucked up my face, and destroyed a bike.
    innumerable doing-stupid-shit crashes
    several getting-used-to-clipless crashes
    many, many ice crashes
    many wet manhole/steel plate crashes.
    1 old lady running a stop sign in which my eggbeater pedal made a huuuuuge gouge in the side of her Mercedes.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Craig wins. /end thread.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx

I think "wins" is a questionable term...but yes, best story telling

-MTB (since 1990)
    Broken arm (2 plates, 19 pins), dislocated shoulder, broke both elbows, bruised some ribs, mega head injury, 5 day hospital stay (all in one DH crash)
    Broken ankle/foot
    Broken Nose
    Broken skull
    Broken toes
    Broken fingers

-Traffic (Since 2004, Mpls, Chi, NYC, Madison, Boston)
    One broken shoulder/collar bone from a right hook. 2 years ago, still dealing with lawyers.
    A couple of yelling matches over the years.

I'm a no-nonsense rider. I don't chance it, and I assume everything/person is going to kill me.Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Wait, now this is a general accident thread? Damn, I wanted to survey car-related accidents/injuries. Oh well. If that's the case, I can definitely add several hundred accidents to the list. I have one pretty rad scar named "Gary" that was caused by a drafting accident with—you'll never guess—Gary!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorroburrito

Commuting through the city year round since '06

No car-related accidents. Plenty of close calls and brushes.

More clipless related falls than I care to admit.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    riding in boston since dec 09

i've never been hit in boston
    1 t bone in providence the only time i biked there, smashed the windshield in with body
    had a lady walk into me while i had the green
    hit bre's back wheel and fell in stopped traffic. we were both fine, she kinda bounced off a stopped car
    also slow rolled into a stopped car during monster track once
    probably 5 bad falls from slippery metal/answering phone and trying to pull rear brake with left handthis life may not be for you - ridecrazy
    Oh man I had a couple more right hooks that I didn't really make contact so I didn't remember/count them, but the one that did my (metal platform) pedal must have made a huge scratch in his door, I could hear it grinding. Didn't see it 'cause after some yelling both of us kept going (I managed to not go down).

Also one time a guy chased me around Cambridgeport in his minivan (with his wife and toddler inside) then got out and tried to fight me when I got a flat and had to stop.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx

I guess I misread the intro. Ignore my dirt crashes.

But add in one time I tuned some chick up that stepped between parked cars. She broke her iphone.Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    fancymolding:
    1 t bone in providence the only time i biked there, smashed the windshield in with body

probably 5 bad falls from slippery metal/answering phone and trying to pull rear brake with left hand

I forgot that was you in Prov.

And that rear brake story is probably one of my favorites.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Yeah, if I added in the number of bones I've broken from skateboarding and motorcycle wrecks...I'm pretty sure I'd be a contender to "win" for the most trips to the ER.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

In addition to my previously listed car involved crashes I've had a few other ones. Tons on the mountain bike. The worst one involved me flying superman style headfirst into a root. I thought I was paralyzed while I was lying there. I'm still having neck pain from that. The worst though was riding to work christmas even and hitting black ice. I was knocked out cold, broke several teeth and couldn't see out of my left eye for a few days. I have some pretty substantial scars and can't grow a real beard anymore as a result of that one.

Some close calls, but I feel fortunate.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    • CommentAuthortristan

1 cut-through-traffic-to-turn-night,winter (guy bought me a bottle of whiskey)
    1 left hook-day (I ruined their front quarter panel)
    2 doorings-day ("I didnt even see you!!!")
    1 right hook-day
    1 shah-ing, with more damage than the rest put together

I've gotten off lucky, but ride safely.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthortristan

^obviously not counting self-imposed crashes from being stupid, mtb, whatever.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorFancy

I've been biking in Boston since 2008 and haven't been in an accident yet. Have had plenty of close calls though.
    Petition to rename this thread "tempt fate!"i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    tinyhonkshus:Petition to rename this thread "tempt fate!"

I'm with you on that... been riding in Boston longer than I care to remember and had my share of accidents along the way, but I am way too superstitious to talk about specifics like there's some kind of finality. You never know when your time is up.
    Cheez:You never know when your time is up.
    All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

my ass rides at the bare minimum 25 miles a day and i've never even come close to danger.
    weird, hunh.
    but true.
    the lord loves me, i guess.
    the words of an unsuperstitious mani mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Craigglesofdoom:Riding since '99, fly til I die, I...okay.

Since '08
    2 cut off (in same direction of travel) vs car
    1 parking garage exit in which I did a ninja roll across the dude's hood (according to bystanders)
    1 left hook (in same direction of travel) vs car (which ended hilariously when I spilled my coffee through his window onto his white slacks)
    1 parallel parking fiasco in which the guy pulled past me, over to the side (right in front of me) and then backed up even though I was now stopped right behind him. It took some serious bellringing to get him to stop.
    1 head on collision with a state police car that was parked right over one of the arched bridges on the esplanade perfectly out of sight from the other side.
    1 left hook across traffic in which I broke my hand, fucked up my face, and destroyed a bike.
    innumerable doing-stupid-shit crashes
    several getting-used-to-clipless crashes
    many, many ice crashes
    many wet manhole/steel plate crashes.
    1 old lady running a stop sign in which my eggbeater pedal made a huuuuuge gouge in the side of her Mercedes.

You forgot: Posted a brag n tag post to Twitter, but not BFG. hahaha!All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2012

tinyhonkshus:the words of an unsuperstitious man

Aren't you a scientist? I thought scientists were, like, skeptics and rationalists. :)Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    yeah, it's a personal failing.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    never believed in luck before messing
    • CommentAuthorspokenword

riding in Boston since '99 (counting only vehicle contact)

right hook + curb squeeze in 2000 around the Reservoir

touched wheels with a guy in a paceline and went down in NH in 2006. Wound up with two bent spokes and had to jury rig a spoke repair then ride over a mountain to get to a shop to fix it up proper

car and oblivious driver t-boning me near Broadway Bike in 2011

near dooring in Kendall where I stayed on the bike but hand hurt like hell for the day in 2012
    •  
      CommentAuthorjterb

-3 right hooks, none resulting in injuries or serious bike damage, though each resulted in the same conversation afterword: Driver: "I didn't even see you!" Me: "No. Shit."
    -Several close calls with doors, parking space dive-ins and the dreaded dive-right-into-bike-lane-to-pass-other-car(s)-turning-left maneuver.

Only painful accident came while living in New York when a pedestrian tried to sprint frogger-style against the light, avoided all the cars, but not me -- and then, with me on the ground, complained to a traffic cop that I'd hurt her leg.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2012

I can now add to this list: Taken out by goose.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    MS PAINT YOUR MISHAPDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorcrazy0
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2012

Post sporadically, but I guess ill add mine, in order of severity.

- Riding in upstate NY, down this corkscrew like hill with shrubs on both sides hiding whatever driveways and side roads it contains, when some guy pulls out right in front of me. Had no chance to stop, so with the eternity long second I had to work with, I powerslid into and through the passenger side window, with my right elbow, and handlebar. My upper torso was in the guys car and the rest on the bike outside (lol) obviously many lacerations were had, bike was unfazed. (~ 60 sutures)

- 2-3 months ago, riding down Washington St near Roz Square, when I get T boned in front of staples, cuz a T bus was blocking both my view/ and drivers view. Given that he was only doing btween 15-20 mph it was like a really hard tackle. His side mirror broke off, I kicked it away in fury, and rode away like a boss, (bus full of people watching after all lol) and then once the endorphins wore off, I went into a side st, to lick my wounds n recuperate like wolverine, cuz it hurt like a bitch.

- Riding in upstate again, at night, Im riding minding my own business, when I suddenly endo over my handlebars, crashing into the ground knocking the wind outta me , with my bike coming and crashing on top of me soon after. apparently, there was thick metal wiring all strewn about the road, and it wrapped it self on my tire, and fork, creating a surprise brake.

- 4 loko, alcohol in general related induced wipeouts.

- Guy decided to play chicken with me on the SWC, I wasnt having it, so we collided. Rather, he and his bike were under mine, since my bike is a beast. He learned his lesson.

- and other minor shit
    howl:I can now add to this list: Taken out by goose.
    surprisefries:MS PAINT YOUR MISHAP

Also, Crazy0, that mirror kicking must have been epic.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2012 edited

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but even if it has it bears repeating: if you make contact with another vehicle in any way, stop, call the police then and there, and file a police report. That's probably the biggest lesson I've learned from all my worst hits or interactions with crazy homicidal assholes.
    i wish i could have called the police on the asphalt that broke my face in cambridge a few years ago.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2012

it literally broke your face though..which is crazy.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlazerwolf
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2012

I was riding down the central corridor park in JP and coming in the opposite direction is a commuter type on some aluminum frame 70's road bike.

As I approach, we see each other, I plan to pass him (as you do). At the last possible second, he takes a hard left and swerves directly in front of me.

We colide and everyone goes flying.

Wiping myself off, I have minor road rash and my seat is 45º out of alignment, but that's all. However, his front wheel was 20' away and one of his fork prongs was bent 180º.

He feebly tried to blame me, but after that we stood there kinda staring at each other, not sure what to do. So after a few minutes, he carries his bike off and I ride away.

I had just put new stronger wheels on the day before, and as I rode away all I could think is "well, they work!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

hahaha wtfsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx

^ did you announce your passing? Or did you just try to go around?Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.