Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2012

it was a head on collisionsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2012

Ah, I missed that part. I see it now.Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    hit from behind, hit from the front, doored (3x).

i was test riding a bike from cambridge when i was hit from behind, and i was doored all 3 times by cars that were either not parked or should not have been parked where they were.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2012 edited

oh man
    thinking about my accident record makes me feel dumb. luckily most are not car related.

i crashed into my bf while doing 2 mph on my block
    ate shit from shoelace + fixed drivetrain
    ate it on the tracks during the marathon ride this year, a couple of you saw that ;)
    ate it hard mtb-ing cuz i'm bad at it
    crashed head first into salmoner who couldn't stop her sweet newly-brakeless fixie in pdx. taco'd my borrowed bike and my head. that was on my birthday!
    hit a very large pedestrian. it was like hitting a padded refrigerator
    hit a homeless man on a bike who blew a stop sign
    i think that's it...
    HAHA i'm stupid at bikes - i've been riding in the city since 2003/4

car related:
    got t-boned by a car with no headlights, didn't see them coming
    intentionally side swiped by a psycho path
    accidentally side swiped by a street sweeper, that was interesting
    doored in stopped traffic
    chased like, a mile by a car trying to hit us and then watched the driver run my boyfriend over intentionally. that gets first prizeMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2012

dora:
    it was like hitting a padded refrigerator

Hahahahaha, that's amazing.

dora:
    chased like, a mile by a car trying to hit us and then watched the driver run my boyfriend over intentionally. that gets first prize

Holy fuck. I hope the maniac was arrested, but I have a sick feeling that he got away with it.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    If I recall correctly, Dora's BF was the one charged?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2012

if you ever want to brutalize anyone and get away with it, just make sure they're on a bike and you'll be all set.

the justice system; how does it work?!
    oh wait, it doesn't workMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorissues
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2012

Riding in Boston since 2011:

-1 knock-off (pulling out of parking lot)

-threatened by car swerving into bike lane at high speed to crush/push me over (unprovoked)

-several close calls (cut-offs mostly, but definitely some squeeze outs)

I probably average 1 close call per ride.

Rode in Portland, OR for 8 years:

-got hit by car that drove up onto the sidewalk as I was unlocking my bike, then sped off. Broken hand, busted fork, uprooted Stop sign I was locked to.

Not sure that counts as a bike accident tho. Wrong place, wrong time perhaps.
    •  
      CommentAuthortone
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2012

Since 2006:

Had a truck brush my hand just out of Union Sq. at 1:30 am. We both stopped at the red light just ahead and the driver slurs to me "You better watch where you're going." We both went on our way. Took a little chunk out of my knuckle.

On my way to work got doored on Oliver St. downtown, just caught my hand on that one too. Dropped the bike but didn't hit the ground. My hand hurt quite a bit after I got to work and I actually went to MGH at lunch, but left before getting an x-ray. The wait was just way too long.

About two weeks ago, a jeep hit my arm with the side mirror just outside of Wellington circle. We both pulled over and I took his info, he said he sneezed. The back of my upper arm hurt for a day. Although, I'm still suffering the mental effects from that one which is probably why I'm back on the forum again. Indirectly trying to gather some cyclist support.

When I was a kid I rode my bike right into a parked car once.We are the small axe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2012 edited

Meh, if I'm gonna get in an accident I'm gonna get into accident. Fuck superstition.

Nice not knowing you!

When I was a teen I was crossing Cherry Street in West Newton, coming out of the parking lot behind Harris, and a person stopped in traffic on my side of the road waved me on, I started to roll out and nearly got nailed by a guy in a van coming down Cherry from Washington St. Barely managed to swerve, got sideswiped but came out of it with nothing more than a slightly bloodied hand. Rode into town a little when I was in HS, but I think I mostly stuck to the bike path to Mass Ave, then took sidewalks the wrong way down Newbury or something. Classy!

Was riding "full-time" 93 to 98... Within a few weeks of starting I rear-ended a cab that stopped short for a pedestrian on Federal. Fork was toast, no real injuries. I got doored going really fast down Mass Ave in Cambridge between Harvard and Porter once... got bloodied, didn't break anything. Secretary at office I was dropping at in Porter was not going to let me use their photo to call dispatch, but she did when she looked up and saw my sorry state. Learned a lot about cleaning out my own wounds from that one. Not long after I got doored on Beacon Street climbing Beacon Hill. I wasn't going that fast, annoying but no harm done. Oh, and I totally sideswiped a Mercedes convertible on lower W.Bway once trying to avoid hitting a (probably drunk/senile/both) elderly jaywalker. Rode away before they saw the streak from my handlebar grips.

Got chased a few times (people pissed about me cutting them off or something, not hitting anything), but if I've had people play games with me and using their cars as weapons, I've forgotten.

Rode less from then until 04, moved away for a few years. Been back since 08, commuted for awhile but I definitely don't ride nearly so much these days.

I've had my shares of non-car accidents over the years. Nothing too serious, two breaks (wrist as a teen and v-shaped chip in humerus and slight rotator cuff after surprise-pothole-related endoing in Portland in... 99 I think). Maybe a cracked rib a few years ago. Come to learn vicodin does nothing for me.