Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Hi All, I am conducting research for a proposal for one of my City Planning courses at BU and I need to interview some peeps. The topic is about the current bike infrastructure in Boston and the impact on red light infringements. I'm trying to figure out if there is a connection between the two.

The interview would take about half an hour and we can meet wherever. The task needs to be completed by Halloween, so it would be great to schedule meet-ups soon.

Please contact me with any questions or to participate.

Thnx,

RN
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2012 edited

i dont have that much time to give you, so this is all i will say, as annoying as some light sequencing is (especially on mass ave), i prefer it because it keeps traffic slow. i hate riding in nyc because cars ha e the opportunity to hit 50 on inner city streets. thats not the case here in boston, and i prefer that.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    NO LITES NO BREAKS

KARZ R KOFFINZYou said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2012

are you going to compare it to some other city's design? look at some specific parts of the city? this sounds nearly impossible to have any coherent answer based on how you framed the question.
    warning: this post is may sound ignorant and possibly stupid to some.

riding bikes in boston has taught me to be offensive as well as defensive. i dont run reds because of the infrastructure of the city, the majority of the time if and when i run a red light its to avoid traffic on major roads...to break away from traffic (when it is safe and clear to do so). i prefer not to be clustered in with cars on major roads.tristan - thats fucking rad dude, I'm happy for you.
    ^agreed.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    I stop/slow/etc for cars, pedestrians, and other hazards, not for lights. Green does not mean it is safe to go. Red does not mean it is unsafe to continue onward. Yes, the latter is breaking the law, and I ACCEPT (HA!) that risk.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlitz
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2012 edited

chr|s sedition:I stop/slow/etc for cars, pedestrians, and other hazards, not for lights. Green does not mean it is safe to go. Red does not mean it it unsafe to continue onward. Yes, the latter is breaking the law, and I except that risk.

•  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Alternatively, you accept that risk. ;)Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Blitz:
    chr|s sedition:I stop/slow/etc for cars, pedestrians, and other hazards, not for lights. Green does not mean it is safe to go. Red does not mean it it unsafe to continue onward. Yes, the latter is breaking the law, and I except that risk.

tristan - thats fucking rad dude, I'm happy for you.
    And besides, y'all gonna let a light bulb tell you what to do?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Instead of fine tuning infrastructure and light timing, how about changing the laws to appropriately reflect road use and safety? I know it's an unpopular idea (mostly from the perspective of vocal car drivers), but a lot of places effectively 'downgrade' road signs for bikes. As in, treat a red light as a stop sign, treat a stop sign as a yield sign, etc. It's really just a tool for determining right of way - that's how I use it and that's why I have no problem running lights.
    What would an interview consist of?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    nerdo:Alternatively, you accept that risk. ;)

AH! I HATE mixing up you're your its it's accept except etc!!! Now my day is ruined, I say! Ruined!All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx

I think you meant runed. In which I think you need a special font for typing that.Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    that joke has been waiting to be born for many years. dig, bob.

cyborgcountry, I (and it sounds like others) would be happy to answer questions on the intertoobs, but as for meeting up in the next 6 days...I got shit to do.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    @grdnstofmnd, what do you think of bike boxes or bike lanes that run continuously throughout intersections? Does the color of paint on the road, i.e. green or blue make a difference?

Thanks,

RN
    thatll communicate an allowance to stop anywhere in the box/intersection, no bueno.

repurpose all the old t tunnels to bike paths. thatll do it.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    I like the colored lanes, it makes it easier to hunt hipsters [via more visible sikk skidz marks].DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2012

Blitz:

Absolutely one hundo percent.

As for bike boxes, if the cars aren't in them it could be good. It is at least a tacit approval that as a bike, I can get to the front of the line, and if I need to make a left, I'm going in front of you. Suck it. It seems that at a decent pace on Mass Ave a bike can make every other light (as it takes approx a whole cycle to get from one red to the next green... then you'll hit a red). Though there are certain ones that will damn near always be red when you hit them...

Of the top of my head those lights are:
    Mass Ave @ Everett (Cambridge) (easy to blow through)
    The southbound lights at Cambridge Common (the northbound light to Mass Ave is always almost green to stay right)
    Northbound Vassar or Albany you could get stopped at one if you're not hustling (easy to blow through in the later evening)
    Mass @ Boylston in Boston (can't blow through this one)
    Mass @ Huntington (easy to blow through)I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    i like bike lanes. they generally serve their purpose. however, just because you're in a box doesn't necessarily make you safe and I've found myself in bike lanes at times losing my focus because of a misled sense of security. you have to watch for cars turning (cutting through the bike lane), merging traffic, DOUBLE PARKED FUCKING CARS, pedestrians or drunk people who think its ok to stand there to hail a cab (gets real bad on atlantic), construction signs, etc. etc. etc. you know, those sorts of things. but generally i like bike lanes.tristan - thats fucking rad dude, I'm happy for you.
    I like roads that are wide enough that it was cheap for the city to put bike lanes on themi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2012

i hate joggers who think that they're jogging lanes
    i totes ate shit in coolidge corner once because a jogger just stopped running all of a sudden. combined with a clipless fail.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2012

a_lion:i hate joggers who think that they're jogging lanes
    I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    Re joggers, double-parked cars, peds, clueless bikers, razor scooters, baby strollers, pot holes, taxis, flying trash, tumble weeves, the errant poodle, tractor trailers, steel plates, paper plates, paper boys, wet leaves, tourists, terrorists, orange cones, and all that other shit that gets in the way; I invite it. In fact, I enjoy it. To ride "countinously" in the city requires that zen sense of mindfulness/situational awareness of everything going on around you at any given moment. IMHO, that is one of the most wonderful things about riding, and riding in the city specifically. If I wanted a perfectly safe, sanitized, predictable ride with no sense of surprise or adventure, I'd spend on all my time on a stationary bike, and I can't think of anything more soul crushing than that. Bring all the bike lanes, boxes, "share the road" signs that you want...they mean nothing to me. I find the most serenity riding in the middle of chaos, and I am opposed to too much order being brought to city riding.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2012

chr|s sedition:...To ride "countinously" in the city requires that zen sense of mindfulness/situational awareness of everything going on around you at any given moment. IMHO, that is one of the most wonderful things about riding, and riding in the city specifically. If I wanted a perfectly safe, sanitized, predictable ride with no sense of surprise or adventure, I'd spend on all my time on a stationary bike, and I can't think of anything more soul crushing than that. Bring all the bike lanes, boxes, "share the road" signs that you want...they mean nothing to me. I find the most serenity riding in the middle of chaos, and I am opposed to too much order being brought to city riding.

I dislike the joggers mostly because the speed differential is too high. I'll play with cars all day if they're within 10-15mph of me. But its not fair or fun when they're going 50. Just like it isn't fun or fair for a 7mph joggerI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    What do y'all think about ticketing for cyclists that run red lights? Have any of you ever been ticketed? If so, where? Also, what form of ID did you have to provide? Do you think that it is ok to be ticketed for red light infringements given the current state of bike infrastructure in the city or do you think more needs to be done before ticketing should occur?

Additionally, Do you think motorists should be ticketed for double parking in bike lanes?
    @chr|s sedition: what would you like the city to do in regards to biking? Would you like for them to leave the infrastructure alone or are there other areas of interest that would still making riding eventful but safer?
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2012 edited

^^ I have yet to be ticketed, although in my experience the cops tend to set-up "sting" operations where they know they'll have a large volume of cyclists going past and thankfully I tend not to be in those areas at those times/see the cops and don't run the light in front of them.

Is it ok that they ticket? I mean, technically you're breaking the law... so in that sense I would say it's "ok" to be ticketed. I have yet to hear any examples of cyclists being ticketed for going through a red light under circumstances where the cyclist felt it was safer to proceed rather than wait for the light to change. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I just haven't seen anything about ticketing under those circumstances.

ETA: can't say I make much use of bikelanes, but yes... cars that park in the bikelane should be ticketed.
    Re tickets for running reds, and/or bike laws in general: Bikes exist in this gray area between bikes and cars. Applying an absolute body of law to bikes which normally governs cars, or pedestrians, just doesn't functionally work for bikes in a sensible manner. However, there you enter into a really slippery slope when you start trying to come up with absolutes. Saying that bikes should NEVER be allowed run red lights is absurd for the way reality actually works. Likewise, so is saying that bikes should ALWAYS be allowed to run reds. Same goes for riding on the sidewalk, taking a full lane, or allowing cars to double park in the bike lane (I am really baffled by cyclists that have a hissy over this one...just go around them...no need to schedule extra sessions with your therapist due the trauma/anger it caused on your ride.). What is the answer? I don't know. I know Green Bern Helmet Guy was someone who was "breaking the law" and should be stopped. I know that many of us blow lights/intersections/crosswalks all the time, but don't do it in the same manner that Green Bern Guy did/does, and prolly should not be subjected to the same penalties that more wreckless riders are. Who is to draw those distinctions, and what is that basis for which they crafted? No fuckin' idea.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    robotnation:@chr|s sedition: what would you like the city to do in regards to biking? Would you like for them to leave the infrastructure alone or are there other areas of interest that would still making riding eventful but safer?

Get rid of all traffic lights, and road markings. Issue every cyclist a Panzerfaust to level the playing field against cars, and then just let the chips fall where the may.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    I feel like recoil would be an issuei mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    panzerfaust is deacribed as a "recoilless gun"somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    seanile mick:panzerfaust is deacribed as a "recoilless gun"
    All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlitz

chr|s sedition:
    robotnation:@chr|s sedition: what would you like the city to do in regards to biking? Would you like for them to leave the infrastructure alone or are there other areas of interest that would still making riding eventful but safer?

Get rid of all traffic lights, and road markings. Issue every cyclist a Panzerfaust to level the playing field against cars, and then just let the chips fall where the may.

QFT
    chr|s sedition:Re tickets for running reds, and/or bike laws in general: Bikes exist in this gray area between bikes and cars. Applying an absolute body of law to bikes which normally governs cars, or pedestrians, just doesn't functionally work for bikes in a sensible manner. However, there you enter into a really slippery slope when you start trying to come up with absolutes. Saying that bikes should NEVER be allowed run red lights is absurd for the way reality actually works. Likewise, so is saying that bikes should ALWAYS be allowed to run reds. Same goes for riding on the sidewalk, taking a full lane, or allowing cars to double park in the bike lane (I am really baffled by cyclists that have a hissy over this one...just go around them...no need to schedule extra sessions with your therapist due the trauma/anger it caused on your ride.). What is the answer? I don't know. I know Green Bern Helmet Guy was someone who was "breaking the law" and should be stopped. I know that many of us blow lights/intersections/crosswalks all the time, but don't do it in the same manner that Green Bern Guy did/does, and prolly should not be subjected to the same penalties that more wreckless riders are. Who is to draw those distinctions, and what is that basis for which they crafted? No fuckin' idea.

Wouldn't it be somewhat problematic to have fluid rules that leave it up to a ticketing officer to determine whether or not a cyclist running a red light fell under the "ok" category vs. the "not ok"? I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the reality at the moment is that most cops know they can ticket cyclists for traffic infractions, but don't bother unless they're assigned to that duty (but the law is the law, bicycles are vehicles and are subject to largely the same laws as other vehicles, with some exceptions). I suppose the current situation leaves things somewhat arbitrary as well, but only in the way that almost all laws are arbitrary when it comes to enforcement (in that it's up to the citing officer to determine whether to bother citing you, and whether to give you a warning or a ticket).

Arguably wouldn't an "Idaho stop" law be somewhat better? Sure... there's some built in gray-area re: when it's safe to proceed from a stop sign/when it's not, but at least cops have experience judging that every day with cars.
    ^ As with most things, I don't have any answers, I just know it's broken.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    seanile mick:panzerfaust is deacribed as a "recoilless gun"

well, as someone who did not google it, i did not know thati mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Interestingly, there are experiments with naked streets or naked roads, unmarked streets etc. in some parts of Europe. The point is to see if different modes of transit and pedestrians can work together in the free space. It is an interesting idea.

Additionally, it would be interesting to see some sort of bike specific light system at intersections, but apparently a lot of the street lights are controlled by MASS DOT, rather than the city itself.

So, is the solution more regulation or less?

Vote with a brick. Ride with a panzerfaust.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

I THINK THE SOLUTION IS EDWARD PENISHANDS!
    robotnation:Interestingly, there are experiments with naked streets or naked roads, unmarked streets etc. in some parts of Europe. The point is to see if different modes of transit and pedestrians can work together in the free space. It is an interesting idea.

Additionally, it would be interesting to see some sort of bike specific light system at intersections, but apparently a lot of the street lights are controlled by MASS DOT, rather than the city itself.

I have noticed that people pass me with more room when there ISN'T a double yellow line (presumably because drivers are hesitant to cross them). But I have also noticed that when they removed the striping from Comm Ave by BC/El Pelon area, idiot drivers drove two abreast.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2012

chr|s sedition:
    Vote with a brick. Ride with a panzerfaust.
    I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    new idea for infrastructure: actually clear wet leaves and downed tree limbs out of bike lanes and shoulders, not just the middle of the road! also for snow!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    tinyhonkshus:new idea for infrastructure: actually clear wet leaves and downed tree limbs out of bike lanes and shoulders, not just the middle of the road! also for snow!

Or just take the full lane. :)All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    psha, and get stuck behind all those cars?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ^ lane split the center. :)All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    nooooooo thank youi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    It might be pretty cool/interesting to have bike lanes, painted blue just of fun! In the center of traffic. That way, you're seen and not marginalized on the far righthand side of the road.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2012

painted bike lanes suck because they get super slick..