Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortinhat
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2012

chr|s sedition:I stop/slow/etc for cars, pedestrians, and other hazards, not for lights. Green does not mean it is safe to go. Red does not mean it is unsafe to continue onward. Yes, the latter is breaking the law, and I ACCEPT (HA!) that risk.

This is exactly it.
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2012

On the separated/raised bike lanes on Concord Ave theyve been putting down green tracks, so people know its for bikes. Amazingly it isn't slick. I happened to pass by while they were putting one on the other side. Apparently the green stuff comes in squares, they lay it out, and heat it onto the road... so it is raised, but it isnt slick/glossy paint.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    thats how they do the white stuff for the biker symbols and the actual lanes. those can be slick though.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Especially once they get a little wear on 'em. Almost ate shit a couple weeks ago cornering through a crosswalk in the wet.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I talked to the guys who were putting down the green on Atlantic Ave last year, and he showed me the anti-skid stuff they put down to prevent it from getting slick in the wet - it's like sand, but a little less coarse, sort of. He said they're going to put it down on all new crosswalks too, hopefully.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2012

Any new word on trapello? still chewed up?I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlitz
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2012

Obo:Any new word on trapello? still chewed up?
    ^No, Trapelo is definitely still chewed up...
    just busted my ass while trying to stop my skateboard on crosswalk paint. dragging foot lost all grip and flop, palmed the ground. now my palm is re-bruised.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    ^ Stigmata. And, you were skating in THIS weather!?! Hope you cleaned out berrings and didn't get your deck too Water Logged.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    one of the bearings is already rusted to the axle so i gave up on that a while ago haha, and the deck is over a decade old :)
    i trimmed some wheel wells into my old world industries wetbo deck and made it a longboard with 9in trucks. corners like a mofo and is pretty smooth, but i consider it the beater bike of skateboards.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2012 edited

wait were you skating down comm ave this morning...just before 8am.
    if so kudos. shit fucking weather.
    i rode past out the front of landry's or there abouts.
    nah, im by northeastern.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    then sean high fived me really violently and immediately had to tell me the story of why it was such a bad idea to high five me so violently
    :(somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Hey guys we already have an infrastructure thread, let's not amp the terror by using the death thread to talk about iti mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2015

^thanks doge.

imagine if there was a free cupcake place with no line on your way to work everyday. i liken that to good infrastructure.
    imagine if someone gave you a thumbs up everyday on your way to work vs. flipping you off. i liken that to culture.

would getting a free cupcake make me feel better? probably. would getting a thumbs up everyday make me feel better? probably.

WHAT'S THE POINT? a thumbs up might make you feel better, but if you want (or even NEED) a cupcake, a thumbs up ain't gonna do shit for you.

#nupocky
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2015 edited

^ I think this is the best bicycling infrastructure analogy I've ever read.

New BFG spoke card, please.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorrobotnation
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2015 edited

I'm glad that this thread is making a comeback. :) I can share the academic paper I wrote in regards to bike infrastructure and red lights that inspired this thread if y'all are interested.

ALSO:

Now that the snow's melting, noticed how all the paint for b-lanes, etc is gonzo? I find that I get way more peeved at motorists/peds when there's bike-specific infrastructure in place as opposed to nothing at all - basically, are we at the point of biking that we should strive to "go beyond the paint" in terms of infrastructure implementation?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2015

I don't know, I find there's more buzzing and lane blocking without it. Also, people really suck at putting their cars in a line when there's no paint to help them, they just wind up all over the damn road."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Nandy:people really suck at putting their cars in a line when there's no paint to help them, they just wind up all over the damn road.

QFTDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorfixiefriend
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2015 edited

how some intersections here feel like sometimes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L2g_RzDZQE

edit: forgot where i read/heard someone talk about this particular intersection, but there was something about how no infra at all allows for this sort of distilled entropy where accidents don't happen because people are hyper-aware / not reliant on lights and lines???gotta go fast
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2015

^same thing goes for some parts of India and that is basically what they say. You grow up with it, you learn how to navigate it and go slower but never have an accident. Most 'mericans would lose their shit "THIS IS CHAOS". Yes it is. And I love it.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

^i'm surprised you're in that boat, oboat.
    • CommentAuthorObo

DiY + Anarchy babyI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    Obo:^same thing goes for some parts of India and that is basically what they say. You grow up with it, you learn how to navigate it and go slower but never have an accident. Most 'mericans would lose their shit "THIS IS CHAOS". Yes it is. And I love it.

I thought there was a statistic in India that someone dies every 5 seconds in a traffic accident.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorfixiefriend
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2015 edited

• CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2015

^Easiest direct action ever. Tear them down.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    I like that they tried dogs first. Roof dogs?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D