Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012

There's a petition on Boston Cyclists Union for a cycle track going the length of Beacon St. in Somerville. That road is a dangerous, pothole filled mess and I think efforts to improve it would be great. Info here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

g'dammit, i seriously cannot read anything on that site. what kind of cycle track design are they petitioning for?
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012 edited

Cleaning up that road (since they've cleaned up Somerville Ave) will help cyclists arses, and not get killed by cars, in Cambrville soooo. daaaaamn. much.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    Without seeing the plan (and admittedly I am semi-against cycletracks), as much as it would piss off some people I think Beacon Street could be greatly improved by reducing the amount of street parking, specifically removing parking spaces and moving the sidewalk out at intersections where sidestreets feed out into Beacon. Ultimately it would be good for cyclists and motorists, because at a number of intersections it's almost impossible to see oncoming traffic (particularly cyclists, but it's tough for drivers as well). Whatever that sidestreet is that runs from where Dane lets out onto Washington to Beacon is particularly bad.

And they should do the same where the sidestreet between The Thirsty Scholar and Walgreens spills out into Line Street, behind Cambridge Hospital... you really can't see oncoming Line Street traffic at all.
    "A second resident stood up and asked why the city would encourage bicyclists to come into the neighborhood when they wouldn’t be able to afford a house."

People are so dumb. My friends, a couple, both bike racers, one a mechanic, JUST BOUGHT A HOUSE.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

^a crack house?
    • CommentAuthorroburrito

This man makes $17m/year and rides his bike to work. Definitely can't afford a house in slumerville. But they probably wouldn't be comfortable with him buying a house in their neighborhood anyway...A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    People on bikes care a whole hell of a lot more about fixing every little crack in the road than the city does. Also, that street is fine; though I did knock a bitch out who walked out from between two cars and I smacked her right in the face with a bike frame around my shoulder. That's what you get, idiot.
    • CommentAuthorObo

Cheez: yea, seeing cars and cars seeing you is damn impossible on most side streets off Beacon. I don't really care if it cycletrack or not. I just don't want to get doored or t-boned on my commute. Because of the shitty road condition I never even take it northbound: in addition, its hard to get from central back up to hampshire without wrong-waying it. I just end up taking Oxford to the top of Beacon. Cars are also clueless how to handle bikers at that intersection, *smh*.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

My boyfriend lost five teeth, fractured his jaw, and sprained his neck, finger, and ankle when a car left-hooked him on Beacon. Cary was going straight in the bike lane with flashing lights and a helmet. The car was speeding, didn't signal, and was apparently in a hurry to go to Star Market.

I find that, for whatever reason, cars tend to speed and be more aggressive than usual in the stretch between Somerville Ave and Washington St. So personally, I don't think that street is fine. I ride it every day and in addition to aggro drivers it's the worst road conditions, by far, in my commute. Visibility isn't spectacular either, the pedestrian crossing by Star Market is poorly lit and sandwiched between (usually filled) parking spots so it's hazardous for pedestrians as well. I'm usually trying to simultaneously avoid potholes/not get doored/not get in the way of speeding cars.
    banana truffles:"A second resident stood up and asked why the city would encourage bicyclists to come into the neighborhood when they wouldn’t be able to afford a house."

People are so dumb. My friends, a couple, both bike racers, one a mechanic, JUST BOUGHT A HOUSE.

Which is funny, because I don't know ANYONE who can afford a house there. All the people I know buying houses are buying them in like Franklin and Natick.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ratattack:My boyfriend lost five teeth, fractured his jaw, and sprained his neck, finger, and ankle when a car left-hooked him on Beacon. Cary was going straight in the bike lane with flashing lights and a helmet. The car was speeding, didn't signal, and was apparently in a hurry to go to Star Market.

I find that, for whatever reason, cars tend to speed and be more aggressive than usual in the stretch between Somerville Ave and Washington St. So personally, I don't think that street is fine. I ride it every day and in addition to aggro drivers it's the worst road conditions, by far, in my commute. Visibility isn't spectacular either, the pedestrian crossing by Star Market is poorly lit and sandwiched between (usually filled) parking spots so it's hazardous for pedestrians as well. I'm usually trying to simultaneously avoid potholes/not get doored/not get in the way of speeding cars.

Your boyfriend have teeth again now? Pictures, please.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

They haven't spontaneous regenerated, so currently he has dentures. Getting dental implants is tricky b/c he had so much scarring and gum loss from the teeth getting smashed out of his mouth. The dentures have fake gums along the top so it looks normal but it'd be much harder to imitate gums with the individual implants.
    i'm always concerned i'm someday going to have to spend thousands of dollars in replacement fake teeth because i assume my dental insurance thinks that's cosmetic or something stupid like that and i could get by eating smoothies the rest of my life or i'll just end up having to be cool with finally having some personality. anyway, that sucks some jerk did that; be sure to take gruesome pics and frame them for the bathroom wall before it gets fixed, if that's even possible. then sell them on etsy to recover losses.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

Unproductive side comment:

I find it goofy that an organization called "boston cyclists union" is so focused on the affairs of somerville.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    mrotown:Unproductive side comment:

I find it goofy that an organization called "boston cyclists union" is so focused on the affairs of somerville.

kinda tells you a story doesnt it?
    I don't really see why that's so weird, Somerville is very close to Boston proper and has enough commuters back and forth, and Beacon is part of a decent route between Somerville and Boston proper. I guess they could call themselves Greater Boston Cyclists' Union, which is what they really are. But that seems unnecessarily wordy.

Anyway I ride Beacon somewhat frequently. I'd settle for a repaving (perhaps because I've been lucky enough not to have any encounters like those mentioned above), but a cycletrack would be great, hopefully it'll be street level though.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012

mrotown:Unproductive side comment:

I find it goofy that an organization called "boston cyclists union" is so focused on the affairs of somerville.

An interesting point. The roads in Roxbury, Mattapan, and Dorchester are way worse than most of Camberville. I suspect ridership is much higher in Camberville, based mostly on personal observation, but we know already that improved infrastructure creates more riders."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012 edited

I don't know that I agree that the roads are way worse in the above named Boston-neighborhoods than in Cambridge and Somerville, but I suspect the latter cities benefit from being separate cities when it comes to getting state/federal funds to do infrastructure projects (and I can't remember where I saw it, but there was just talk recently about doing a cycletrack along Malcolm X Blvd from Dudley to Roxbury Crossing).

Admittedly I'm also not so sure that improved infrastructure, without a decent-sized base number of cyclists, is what makes a big difference. Cambridge and Somerville have long had a large number of cyclists, improved infrastructure in my mind draws out those who wanted to cycle before, but were intimidated.

It would be kinda interesting if they'd done polling data on Boston-area cyclists over time, to see how the demographic has changed. Specifically I wonder if "thinking green" has played much of a role, or if it's mostly just people feeling safe enough to ditch less efficient means of transportation.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

Cheez: (and I can't remember where I saw it, but there was just talk recently about doing a cycletrack along Malcolm X Blvd from Dudley to Roxbury Crossing).

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/roxbury/2012/11/hold_malcolm_x_boulevard_eyed.htmlThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

I drive in the above named Boston neighborhoods 5 days a week. It is an aggressive driving climate with lots of potholes. Most of the cyclists I see are on the sidewalks. I recall MrOTown commuted from Roslindale to his work, I'd be curious about his opinion."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    If you don't mind me asking, what's your route roughly?

Also, can you describe the people at all?

There were, like, 5 sidewalk cyclists over by CRLS last night. It was weird (but legal, I guess, it wasn't in a business district).

PS: did I hear they were going to put a bike lane in on Morton? I'm probably making that up.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

When I first moved to Boston I was commuting from Green/Washington in JP to Umass Boston.
    I had the choice of going through Franklin Park and then down Columbia passing through Uphams Corner
    or
    Taking Washington to Dudley Square and then cutting across to Columbia Avenue

The transportation inequality in the metro Boston area is jaw dropping.
    Most of us aren't exposed to it though because of how divided the neighborhoods are.

If an organization wants to claim it represents the cyclists of Boston then I'm all for it.
    There are plenty of neighborhoods in Boston hurting from bad infrastructure.
    I just think expanding to cover some of the neighboring cities/towns dilutes the focus.

Even the way the hubway locations are doled out is bogus.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

What Sean said."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    I did a similar commute in 03 and 04 (although from pondside, so I took Center Street over Fort Hill). I've never found Columbia Rd to be a problem, I could see being a little wearier of Dudley Street, but admittedly I'm not the best barometer of how others feel about road conditions.

Oddly enough there's a November 2010 BCU post about bike lanes on Columbia Rd, and the 2010-11 City of Boston "bike network" map shows a bike lane on Columbia Rd from the park to... Ceylon Street I think it is? And along Dot Ave from near Gallivan to... Adams Street maybe?

I'm relying on memory for the cross-streets, so take it with a grain of salt (their map kinda sucks). I wonder if they've made any progress extending the Columbia Rd bike lane to Edward Everett Square?
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2012

Cheez:but there was just talk recently about doing a cycletrack along Malcolm X Blvd from Dudley to Roxbury Crossing

That would be *ahhhhmazing*I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012

i feel like there needs to be bike lanes out there the most

hubway does have a station in dudley. i forget the exact location, somewhere on washington street at a busy intersection. The Community Spoke did mobile clinics there once or twice.

but i used to ride down the length of Beacon every day when i lived in Porter. that street does suck between the drivers (long stretches with no lights = vroom vroom) and the condition of the street itself

Lauren that is a terrible story about your bf :( i'm sooo sorry to hear thatMust be awful, being so fluffy.