Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorthejit
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2013

whats your poison?
    Trainer. The less attention I have to pay to staying upright, the more I can give to watching something/pretending I'm outside/thinking about anything other than being on a trainer.

eta: Although in part for that reason, I feel like I'd get a better workout on rollers.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

we have both and it depends what your intentions are

rollers are for parties

trainers are for actually riding your bikeMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx

I love my rollers. Keeps me honest while riding. It's easier to spin like an oaf on a trainer. Takes a bit more to keep it upright. Trainers have their merits too.Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

You can also get a stand for your fork on the rollers so you don't have to balance. Haven't used one, but it sounds more versatile and trainers bore the shit out of me. Also, I should probably dig my rollers out of the basement :c"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Rollers.

Specifically, Buffalo Chicken Rollers from 7-11. Mmm mmm, meat in tube form.
    i would also like to know legit pros and cons to trainers versus rollers - atrophy is teh suck.
    Real answer (from what I've read about cycling fitness, as if I'm ever going to follow through): Rollers, since they offer no resistance, are good for spinning (cardio work) and form (because you have to ride straight and keep a somewhat steady cadence to keep from falling over). Trainers are for building muscle through resistance, and also simulating climbs and other boring roadie shit. They're totally different workouts.
    Also googling "rollers vs trainers" will probably have more legit info than anyone on here could come up with.
    Of course with a trainer you can either lower resistance if it's variable or downshift if you're on a shifty to do more spinning/cardio. Not so much cadence and form though.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2013

The real answer is to go with whichever one you are more likely to use.

I've done a fair bit of both:

rollers:
    +most fold up so they store easily and setup is as easy as unfolding it and getting on the bike
    +develop good form (the guys I know who ride the straightest lines and can do shit like undress in a paceline are guys who spend their indoor time on rollers
    -The amount of focus required to keep balance makes it hard to forget you're riding your bike inside and an hour can just drag by
    -You really need to pay attention to what you're doing so things like intervals can be really tough

trainer:
    -set up is a little more involved because you're locking the bike in and then making sure the tension is correct on the resistance unit (not a huge obstacle, but when you already aren't looking forward to riding inside any excuse can keep you off the bike)
    +you don't have to focus as much on what you're doing so you can watch some movies and grind out an hour pretty easy
    -because you don't have to focus you can end up just spinning at low resistance and wasting your time
    +Because the bike is fixed in position you can really get out of the saddle and hit those target heart rate/power zones in a way you can't on the road. There's no easier way to do intervals than on a trainer. And those no better way to get stronger than intervals

I can't stand riding inside no matter what the device and I don't even really bother with it. In March I'll probably set up the trainer and start putting time in, but for me riding a bike is about enjoyment. Riding inside makes me hate my bike.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly