Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008 edited

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=4086600&page=1
    I too support drinking and nudity!clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    article!:"People get pretty messed up at most places, but at bars there's actually a sort of limit to how much you can drink because of price, and good bartender will cut you off, whereas a good frat bro probably won't," he said.
    flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrandonc
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008

wow, this is a terrible article. way to foment moral outrage, abc news.

i don't have access to pull down the paper easily right now, but according to the abstract, they found some really fascinating things. stuff like:
    1) if you show up to a party and measure people's blood alcohol level, you'll get higher numbers after 11pm
    and 2) "At the party level, [...] reports of many intoxicated partygoers were associated with higher BrACs." which is really surprising: i know when i hear that a whole lot of people are wasted at a party, i assume everyone's BAC is pretty low.

also peep this earth-shattering conclusion: "Alcohol consumption among young adults in natural settings is a function of both person and environmental factors."

all of this is pretty standard fare -- not really deserving of the headline/subheading on the news article. college parties are getting "hotter, boozier" than what, exactly?

i do think it's kind of funny that when the reporters needed quotes from some random bro-dude about drunk college girls at parties, they picked a guy from BU. go boston!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkaryatid

i don't know about you, but all the parties i went to were a lot more riotous and naked-involving when i was younger than when i was older.

but then, i never went to frat parties.
    ^didn't miss much. I promise.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorgc

there's a technical term for the type of conclusions that the author drew, but i can't remember itgone
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

dear morgan:

at what point does it say that girls are encouraged to drink and strip? pretty sure that they're saying girls are dressing sluttier and are drinking more (of their own volition) to compensate for insecurities due to their ass-nakedness. but thanks for being inappropriate as always.

&hearts,
    lauren
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008

ok so it doesn't flat out say they are "encouraged to" but the subheading does read "Researchers Find Women Drinking More, Wearing Less at College Parties"

w/e I just thought it was funny that this "study" made the top three of the Google News - Health section yesterday..

More on the same study from:

The Washington Post "College Drinking Games Lead to Higher Blood Alcohol Levels" http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/06/AR2008010600771.html

and the NYT- "The Science of Toga Parties" http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/05/the-science-of-toga-parties/?em&ex=1199768400&en=983a4d0f8e61b755&ei=5087%0A

ratattack: pretty sure that they're saying girls are dressing sluttier and are drinking more (of their own volition) to compensate for insecurities due to their ass-nakedness.

now now now Lauren you kinda disappoint me here, anyone who examines social behavior on this level will tell you that this type of behavior is in many ways (notice I didn't say solely!) a result of girls being "encouraged" through media and social situations and expectations to behave like this.. So lets not make it like girls wear provocative clothing at younger ages and wear less and less clothes in general just because they want to.. They are flooded with the idea that this is what they SHOULD do..

ratattack:thanks for being inappropriate as always.

Ur Welcome!

Your always inappropriate pal,
    Morgan
    • CommentAuthorJohnTheFast
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008 edited

brandonc:
    1) if you show up to a party and measure people's blood alcohol level, you'll get higher numbers after 11pm
    and 2) "At the party level, [...] reports of many intoxicated partygoers were associated with higher BrACs." which is really surprising: i know when i hear that a whole lot of people are wasted at a party, i assume everyone's BAC is pretty low.

also peep this earth-shattering conclusion: "Alcohol consumption among young adults in natural settings is a function of both person and environmental factors."

really?! stop the presses!

maybe it was just a REALLY slow news day...
    • CommentAuthorraff I el

le lion couchant:there's a technical term for the type of conclusions that the author drew, but i can't remember it

tautological

what? i'm an english major.Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

Psssh. We need to make litter out of you literati!dongpincher 1000
    ^I stand by my english major friends. As a masters student in theology, I too will be unemployed. ;-)clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Hey now, I'm a former english major who makes a living doing englishy things. It can happen.Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

^ true, I know a few and dated one for a long time.. most working in education or journalism related fields..
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotbuilder

So, how do I take advantage of this trend?

My idea is to teach at a jr. college.
    -robot[all your base are belong to us]
    • CommentAuthorJer

insert inappropriate comment here

Jer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

go to "bro dude" parties... and don't forget, an increase in drunk'n nakedness and the like also lead to increase STDs

:-/
    • CommentAuthorgc

raff I el:
    le lion couchant:there's a technical term for the type of conclusions that the author drew, but i can't remember it

tautological

what? i'm an english major.

i took once took a class in drugs & society. and man, did that word come up often.gone