Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorukeboyska
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2013

my friend created something that turns ANY bicycle into a power generator... not just for lights, either...anything USB powered. you can power stuff while you ride or take the power with you after you get off your bicycle...

he's also hoping to launch a "tom's shoe" company model where the devices get donated or are super cheap for 3rd world folks, so that people without power outlets in their homes can power their phones themselves instead of spending a lot of money at generator stations...

if you think that's a righteous movement (i totally do!), become a part of it on kickstarter.

cheers!

•  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2013 edited

Very nice, elegant design. However, I want the option to charge MUCH, MUCH bigger batteries with it. As you point out, this little guy can take a cellphone from red to green in four minutes. This is the ideal system for charging a laptop battery to full capacity, or powering a HUGE set of speakers.

I'd recommend that you say you're making the interface a standardized platform so that various sizes of battery packs can be made available in future, with various output connectors for powering laptops or AC inverters.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorukeboyska
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2013

yeah man, pretty sure that's the idea - this is just the first step, and they're definitely have something for bigger things later - it might be a bit heavier than this initial product though!
    • CommentAuthorroburrito

imho the first 5 times i saw his logo I thought it said "civia". I can see some trouble establishing his brand due to confusion with such a well known cycling company in a similar commuter focused business.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2013 edited

This is an awesome idea, particularly (or especially) for touring if it can fit behind racks/bags. My primary concern is weatherproofing and general resistance to road grit and grime, ESPECIALLY given the mounting location. From the specs it appears to be only water resistant though. If this is a product that you can only really use on nice days, it loses most of its value (touring; always-available power; use in less-developed countries, etc).

Design one that's fully waterproof and can handle the rigors of road grit, and I would totally be into it.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorbaker

This ^^I am the reason your son is crying.
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat

This is something I've been waiting to see for a long time, good luck!

ps the kickstarter FAQ makes it seem like the unit is pretty well-protected against contaminants. mileage will vary i'm sure.
    • CommentAuthorben

I missed the FAQ at the bottom and just saw the "Weather Resistant" icon near the top. They also mentioned it can work with (at least some) racks, which is nice.

OP - curious why you call this a Boston kickstarter when it's based in San Fran?

edit: OP whispered me the answer, which is that one of the two founders is from Boston. (I feel like I can share that (since other people may want to know) without breaking any 'whisper' trust.)I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorukeboyska

siva was started by dave, from boston, and aaron, from san fran. they had to choose one of the two cities to put on kickstarter, and so they chose san fran...but there will definitely be a lot of interaction with both cities in the near future.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

Who are these 922 people with 85k burning holes in their pocket to spend on strangers from the internet??"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

6kidz:Who are these 922 people with 85k burning holes in their pocket to spend on strangers from the internet??

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xoh9yq_portlandia-kickstarter_shortfilms

In all seriousness, though, they are 922 people who would happily spend $85-$95 for a compact bike generator. However, I completely agree with roburrito that the name is *way* too much like "Civia", and should be changed for the good of the company.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorukeboyska
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2013

strangers from the internet who want to make your life better and the world a better place, 6kidz ;)

thx pocky -- i'll definitely bring up the issue w/dave, but something tells me at this point the wheels might be turning a little too fast to put on the brakes, double back, and take a different path.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2013

from the pictures the unit looks flimsy and not very well made.gone
    • CommentAuthorukeboyska

hmm...well, all i can tell you is that i haven't just seen pictures of it - i've touched it, and it actually feels pretty durable. plus the guy who engineered it is super smart, thorough, and a bit of a perfectionist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

The prototypes were probably 3D-printed with an additive process, which makes kind of cheap-looking plastics. An injection-molded production run should look much more solid.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorukeboyska
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2013

yes and yes - you're absolutely right pocky! thanks
    • CommentAuthorjohn89
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2016

Nice share also a great tips.Bicycle-mounted power generators are nothing new—but most of them are a hassle. Dave Delcourt and Aaron Latzke, of Boston and San Francisco-based SIVA Cycle, are setting out to change the original bike-power model, and while they’re at it, bring sustainable energy to developing countries around the world.
    • CommentAuthorjohn89
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016

What a great man! However because it's such a simple solution it says a lot about humanity's seeming inability to figure things out. We have a massive energy crisis - we have to get off fossil fuels and yet simple solutions haven't been spawned even in such desperate times. Why do we let the fossil fuel companies dictate everything about our lives? Why do we bow down to those who keep us down, and destroy our world and our children's future? This bike is awesome and simple enough to be installed in every home as a back up at least. I'd love one.