Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

i was just thinking, is there a tracking device i can get that i can maybe hide inside a tube on my bike somewhere
    like, inside the handlebars
    so i could find it if stolen
    • CommentAuthorroburrito
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2013

I found this: http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/Products.jsp and this http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1054587410/the-bikespike googling.

Challenges that a device faces:
    * Signal: If its hidden internal, it needs an external antenna because the tubing will block the signal.
    * Battery: Can't be on all the time, GPS eats batteries. If you've ever seen an FBI/CIA tracking device they're enormous because they're 95% battery. Need to be activated when you leave your bike
    * Cost: With the necessary electronics its hard to drive the cost down and you are adding $150 to the lost value of your stolen bike. That's more than a lot of people pay for their walmart BSOA few spokes shy of a wheel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

This i've thought of many times.... and this exists, but i'm not entirely sure of its dimensions. You could possibly hide it under the saddle: garmin GTU-10 trackerEPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^"Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 1.34" x 3.07" x 0.79" (3.4 x 7.8 x 2.0 cm)"Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorben

Opening this thread was a risky click at work.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

I was excited, an ambiguous topic on a thread started by Baron Fagrot.

yay!
    EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Admit it, you were worried when you saw the words "unit dimensions," weren't you?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat

I know nothing about technology so I don't know if this is stupid or not, but they should build a tracker into wheel-sensors for computers. That way it would be external and not look like an obvious tracking device.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

No idea is stupid... i've had some "dumb as fuck" ideas that have lead to some decent innovations (even if they were small).

and hiding a security device as a basic cycling device seems pretty smart to me.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

ben:Opening this thread was a risky click at work.

totes thought the same thing!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

VectoredZev for Mod:...and hiding a security device as a basic cycling device seems pretty smart to me.

Yes, but hiding a security device as an accessory that's easily removed or even a separate target of theft (like the one disguised as a tail light) seems ineffectual to stupid.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

make adjustments. Lock it on w/ a special bolt. Someone who was not a cyclist, I imagine is likely from a beginner thief, wouldnt be aware of it til it was too late.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    VectoredZev for Mod:hiding a security device as a basic cycling device seems pretty smart to me.

like, for example, some kind of electro-stimulation device under the saddle that, when improperly ridden (such as by a thief) it castrates the thief. Or gives them an embarrassing public orgasm.