Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBatman_617
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2013

Does anyone have an opinion on Big Shot bikes?

I am looking to invest about $400 in a brand new one. And they are having a sale for $389 until June 15th, promocode: FixieSale10.

The customization features are nice but I'm not sure about the quality.

Below is the one I designed on their website.
    http://www.bigshotbikes.com/
     photo MyBaby.pnghttps://twitter.com/SlaveNames
    THATS SO COOL I NEED TO BUY ONE NOWthis life may not be for you - ridecrazy
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

i have opinions on that orange+red collabo
    ^ Freakin' people, with their opinions.

If you buy one of their bikes you shall be a big shot.
    Looks like crap bikesTake-off everything but your rainboots
    Stormy Arthur:Looks like crap

wont be much of a bike after the cranks and wheels fall apart inside of five hundred miles
    maybe people that actually ride arent in their customer demographic?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

computer bikes are better than real bikes.
    copDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

wheels don't look round.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

i'm thinking of getting this one, what do you guys think?
    Batman_617:
    Below is the one I designed on their website.

Kinda looks more like it was designed this way:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Hey Batman, here is an actual answer.
    I bet it will look really good but not hold up well over time. Also, it will be really fucking heavy.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    Absolutely not worth it.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    Was the OP really asking that question? I figured it was "cleverly" disguised spam.

In other news, yes to the peppermint drop bicycle.
    Fixed gear bicycles have become the ultimate item in urban chic. Messengers glide effortlessly in and out of traffic in a show of defiance and freedom among lines of cars chained to the grind of the daily commute. Fixie bikes are simple and elegant, with clean lines and a genuine beauty which springs from their lack of complexity, stripped to the bare requirements of pedaling, steering and rolling...
    Single speed riding requires a different kind of approach. The fixed gear does not allow you to coast. In fact, going downhill can be hard work. The cog on the rear wheel is bolted directly the hub so that your pedals must go at the same speed as your rear wheel. This also means your pedals can be used to slow down the bike, and the ability to pedal backwards make the impressive track stand you sometimes see messengers doing when the traffic lights are red.

AND YET SO MUCH COASTING IN THE PROMO VID [SIKK EDIT]DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2013 edited

surprisefries: and the ability to pedal backwards make the impressive track stand you sometimes see messengers doing when the traffic lights are red.
    MAKES THEM WHAT!?!?!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2013

Cheez:Was the OP really asking that question? I figured it was "cleverly" disguised spam.

In other news, yes to the peppermint drop bicycle.

me tooX2
    •  
      CommentAuthorFancy

i'm surprised those big shot bikes are made from 4130. still looks to be a POS.

anyway, if this really was a legit question and you're dead set on having a new bike you're probably better off ordering from bikes direct. at least you know what kind of parts you're getting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

Fancy:anyway, if this really was a legit question and you're dead set on having a new bike you're probably better off ordering from bikes direct. at least you know your frame's going to be misaligned.
    1) what a bizarre size range

2) I am now saving up for a peppermint bikei mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2013

all the photos in the gallery that show their service/assembly center show them using cheap folding stands with the bikes secured by the top tube. with 80,000 facebook likes they have to have sold a good deal of their bikes.
    how have they not started clamping the seat tube or seat post yet?
    • CommentAuthorroburrito

rock death:80,000 facebook likes

They probably ran a "like our facebook page and get a chance to win a shitty bike" promo.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    DUMB QUESTION WHY IS CLAMPING THE TOP TUBE BAD? I am new at having a stand.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

it's not bad but it makes repair difficult.

the axis that you clamp is the axis that the bike pivots. clamped by the tt, the bike will have the tendency to move away from you when you're working on it.
    also, the seat tube is right in the middle of the bike and on the same axis as the cranks, so pedaling won't pivot the bike, like it will when clamped to the top tube.
    and, the clamp will be constricting the rb cable making the brake adjustment off.

it's sometimes necessary to clamp the top tube in the case of weird aero seat tubes and seatposts or bmx/small bikes with no st/post to grab but it sucks to work like this. i'm sure there's a better way to explain this with math and physics, but a good way to see is to try it out. on a job that requires a lot of leverage, tt clamping is often worse than resting the bike on the floor between your knees. there's a reason that every bike shop clamps by the seat tube
    I figured there was a reason- that makes sense, thanks. I have yet to do much that requires a lot of torque on an axis that would be problematic.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

surprisefries:I figured there was a reason- that makes sense, thanks. I have yet to do much that requires a lot of torque on an axis that would be problematic.
    It doesn't matter where you clamp it when you're just putting butterfly stickers on the rims and fork.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Like I said, not much torque.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    always clamp the seatpost, clamping the frame can deform the frame. Not that this matters on these bikes which are apparently made from pig ironTake-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

according to barnett's manual, which i consulted this morning to find a better explanation of the tt vs st clamping, the best place to clamp is the seat tube, followed by the seat post, followed by the top tube.
    ^good way to get yelled at by the head mechanic at your shopTake-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

i mean if you clamp the frame over where the seatpost is inserted you're almost certainly not going to deform the tube and the bike is more stable and at a better working height (if you're tall)

just watch out for that columbus decal
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

the better rule is "don't clamp too tightly, especially when working with fragile materials"
    •  
      CommentAuthorpaul jameson
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2013 edited

rock death:the better rule is "always use a 3-foot cheater bar on the clamp and put your full weight into it, especially when working with fragile materials"

Edit: I also heard Rock Death over torques his EVT clamp by AS MUCH AS A QUARTER TURN!You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    • CommentAuthorryan t

Stormy Arthur:always clamp the seatpost, clamping the frame can deform the frame. Not that this matters on these bikes which are apparently made from pig iron

In that case, shouldn't you also worry about deforming your nice new Thomson?
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

paul jameson:
    Edit: I also heard Rock Death over torques his EVT clamp by AS MUCH AS A QUARTER TURN!

That would be the very definition of illogical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

Also I wanna hear the OP weigh in on this
    ryan t:
    Stormy Arthur:always clamp the seatpost, clamping the frame can deform the frame. Not that this matters on these bikes which are apparently made from pig iron

In that case, shouldn't you also worry about deforming your nice new Thomson?

take a look at the wall thinckness of a thomson vs a nice steel frame

and if you have a nice seatpost you don't want to put in a clamp you take the seatpost out and use the park internal seatpost clampTake-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

^c'mannnn, does your shop actually have that tool?
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

:D
    Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    Nuggetross:^c'mannnn, does your shop actually have that tool?

ummm yeah, we have 2 that I know ofTake-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

Using the Park seatpost tool because you're worried about damaging a seatpost is like using the Park dummy pedal because you don't want to strip the crank's pedal threads
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

FIGHT"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    rock death:Using the Park seatpost tool because you're worried about damaging a seatpost is like using the Park dummy pedal because you don't want to strip the crank's pedal threads

you're dumbTake-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat

based on my experience with similarly priced entry-level single-speeds: the frame itself will be very heavy and feel sluggish to ride but serviceable and tough enough to beat around. the real loss will be in the components, which will all be utter garbage (especially the wheels), will be poorly installed, will break quickly, and won't work all that well even when brand new.
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat

also if you just pay attention to what you're doing you can clamp the bike on seatpost/seat tube/top tube... i've even had to do it on the downtube for some stupid bikes, but imo seat tube near the seat cluster is best as it's reinforced by the seatpost and puts the bike at the most convenient height
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

this is my new favorite thread
    Descending order of clamp preference for softrides: Boom, Headtube, Saddle Rails, Bottle CageYou said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlitz

Don't forget brake levers and spokes.
    What kind of lame softride has spokes?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlitz
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2013 edited

BlitzDon't forget brake levers and aerospokes.
    Fixed.