Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2013

HI! :D

I am writing a piece for RAWR about bike bags - kind of a what's good/what's bad review for female bodied or female identified people of all shapes and sizes. I figured I'd reach out to you in order to help me gather some data! Please respond to this if you have a spare second! <3 :D THX

SO

What kind of bag do you carry while riding your bike? (specific make and model, if you can!)

What do you like about it? What don't you like about it?

Have you tried other bags that you did or didn't like?

What did you like about it? What didn't you like about it?

Plz also include any other info that you think would be helpful!

This will help me compile a bunch of info. Also, I'd like to take some fun group pics of folks with their bags and their fit to put on the RAWR site, let me know if you're interested and/or expect an invitation to that in the future!

You can also enter this info on my note on facebook (if this link works)
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/dora-cacioppo/attn-female-bodied-or-identified-folks-who-ride-bikes/10151641392059161

THANKS! :DMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    Jansport. Trashbag. Next question.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    tinyhonkshus:Jansport. Trashbag. Next question.

And the thread is done....clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

!!!!
    Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    tinyhonkshus:Hamsport. Trashbag. Next question.
    i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

i can tell you that banjo brothers are basically hamsports with trashbags for any anyone. also, they fall apart in a year, with stitching and at least one strap breaking.
    dora:!!!!

Now imagine him running afoul of this dude:
    You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

when i'm not actually carrying much, i use a fabrichorse utility belt (i know, so kewl), which...the designed dumbly. if you're carrying a u lock, then both the lock and the pouch part are on the fronts of your thighs, which is uncomfortable while pedaling. mostly i ride without a lock, so can turn it so the pouch part is in back and out of the way.

for a bigger bag, i got some messenger bag on clearance for $20 at urban outfitters 5-6 years ago, and it's not perfect but it sure held up alright for $20. pretty sure you'll never find it again, though.That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2013 edited

YEAH BUT HOW DO YALL BROADS DEAL WITH YR TITSWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

^yes, get down to brass tats people
    joeyfresh:YEAH BUT HOW DO YALL BROADS DEAL WITH YR TITS

clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Joe you're being obnoxiousi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

I always thought my satire struck that magical balance of charming and edgy.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Often it does.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Touche'.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

turns out my paint skills are too poor to handle thisThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2013

boobs are actually a major thing to deal with when looking for a good bike bag, most of which are designed for people without boobsMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2013

also, i see a lot of people carry u locks stuffed in the strap, and that is TERRIBLE if you've got boobs and appreciate breathingThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    WHAT? That sounds horribly uncomfortable regardless of breast status.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2013 edited

huh back in the days when i lived in a place with other humans, i saw this kind of thing all the time

(well, the lock placement anyway)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    well that's just sillyDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    with a converted lemond, clipless sandals and wetsuit top, i think the lock is one of the least strange things in that picture.

sometimes if a locks too big for a pocket its easier to strap that shit on. you have to weight the pros cons of swinging a bag around or having a few pounds of metal hit your knees every pedalthis life may not be for you - ridecrazy
    I would imagine that lock would fit in one of the outer pockets of his bag?

Or at least my old Courierware bag could easily accommodate a standard sized Kryptonite in the outer pocket.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2013

yeah but that way you don't have to undo any buckles or swing your bag around at all, is the point. (just because i said it's mega uncomfortable with boobs doesn't mean i've never done it for short rides=P)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    THE MOST STRANGE THING IN THAT PICTURE IS THE FLAVOUR SAVOURDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2013 edited

Mrs. Pocky just bought a Po Campo Armitage Satchel when the color she wanted finally went on sale at Nashbar:

She already has the Axiom U of A Study Bag. I have the same bag in black. We both really like them. The hard backplate (with just a cloth velcro flip-up that covers the pannier hooks to prevent them from jabbing into you too much) would make it a very uncomfortable bag to actually ride with on your body, so don't really think of it as a messenger bag, but rather as a stylish pannier briefcase.
    Extremely easy clip on/clip off -- you just tuck the shoulder strap into the bag itself, pull down the velco flap covering the hooks, put the hooks on the top bar of your rack, and twist the quick-release to lock the bag on. When you're taking it off, you just untwist the quick-release, pull out the shoulder strap, throw the bag on your shoulder and walk away.
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    Respect to her shopping prowessi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Cheez:I would imagine that lock would fit in one of the outer pockets of his bag?

Or at least my old Courierware bag could easily accommodate a standard sized Kryptonite in the outer pocket.

Yeah... I guess? Seeing retrieving the package from my bag always involved flipping my bag around in front I can't say I've found it to be too much of a hassle. What with my monkey arms I could also just reach behind me and slip the lock out without too much trouble.

Admittedly after years of doing that the stitching in the center pocket went.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2013

I am not a "bag lady", but my basic understanding of anatomy would inform me that ladies who are experiencing chest discomfort from messenger bags should switch to a back pack option? When I used to transport lots of things by bike my Ortleib roll top was very comfortable and convenient."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

But the problem there is that most backpacks are still designed for people who generally have much broader shoulders and use longer straps. I can't even use the giant Seagull bag, it's so wide. I've found that most sizes of Freights fit fine, though. Also, as a person with large fat blobs on their chest, I would say that both messenger and backpack straps both cause their own kind of discomfort. There is no good option, except for a full mastectomy, but some bags are better than others."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Ben, your privilege is showingi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorRoz

road runner bags (based in LA) claims to make a women's specific bag, but basically it is just narrower since women have narrower shoulder than men and the shoulder straps can tighten more. Overall, the size of them is too small i think.

The only messenger style bag that i have used that wasnt a total boob crusher is made by this company called "under the weather". http://www.under-the-weather.ca
    They are based in canada. I have they're largest messenger bag, but its basically the same size as a bailey works medium sized messenger bag.

For messenger work I was originally using a Chrome Warsaw bag in their largest size and I hated it. It was too heavy and was 21in wide, WAY TOO WIDE. it would get clipped on truck mirrors all of the time. Now I use a Freight Bag Backpack size large: http://www.freightbags.com/collections/front-page/products/backpack
     photo BP_1_grande_zps5a119714.jpg

I LOVE IT! It is bigger than my chrome bag and lighter and has everything that I need. I especially dig the water bottle pocket on the size and the manifest pocket, which is also great for holding my sketchbook and/or reading book. It also has two smaller velcro pockets that i put small valuables in like my wallet. It also compresses really flat when its empty, so if i go somewhere after work its not like I have a huge bag thats hitting everyone.

For the weekends I usually use this small chrome backpack that I won at a race: http://www.chromeindustries.com/bags/backpacks/yalta-tokyo
     photo tokyoseries_yalta_hero_enlarge_1_zps7e539eff.jpg
    I'm usually not a fan of chrome stuff other than their socks, but I really dig this little bag. Very simple and light weight. It sucks to be carrying a heavy bag, especially in the summer, it makes your back sweat more if its heavier.

When ever I get a bag I always put two layers of water resistant spray on it, just to help the bag last longer.

Trash Bags in Minneapolis makes some great stuff too.roz-berry-lime
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2013

thanks for your contributions everyone :DMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

tinyhonkshus:Ben, your privilege is showing

Fair."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

I read the facebook-based version of this and it was also rad."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."