Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2013

Sprint should have been neutralized, that was a mess, and I really hope Ted King gets clearance to ride tomorrow.

What a shit show.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    Steephill dropped the unauthorized stream listing, hit up cyclingfans.com. Harder to navigate but I did find a good link.
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2013

What a finish today. Loved seeing bakelant take it - he was so happy in his post race interview. I was yelling at the finish.

I also yelled when that dog almost got nailed.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

don't know anything about bakelant, but his dog is his twitter profile pic so i'm willing to like himThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat

That dog stopped my heart for a second I'm pretty sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2013

tinhat:That dog stopped my heart for a second I'm pretty sure.

i think i was yelling at the computer screen.

WHEW!!!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    I know I was, that dog got me in trouble with the missus for swearing in front of the kid (she has started saying "guck" a lot).
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2013

Ted King out after missing time cut. Mixed reports as to whether he was actually above the cut or not. Incredible effort with a separated shoulder either way.

Also incredible: OGE taking the TTT victory. Great ride.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ

woooooooooooo aussies! woooooooooo

we've won with an individual, a team, and a bus.
    fucking ruling this here tdf.

also gerrans is awesome and it's rad he won a stage and now has yellow.
    tristan:Ted King out after missing time cut...

JimmyJ:
    ...and a bus.
    fucking ruling this here tdf.

LOOOOOLDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Oh shit, look at those handsome bastards.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthortristan

amazing.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2013 edited

why was ted king riding a road bike at the tt?
    less saddle to bar drop for his separated shoulder?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2013 edited

clockwork ted:less saddle to bar drop for his separated shoulder?

Confirmed.

The morning of the race, King discovered, as feared, that the position on his TT bike wouldn’t work; his shoulder wouldn’t support the full weight of the aggressive tuck. Mechanics had outfitted his Cannondale road bike with TT bars, and he started on that.

This whole article in very interesting. http://bicycling.com/blogs/boulderreport/2013/07/02/the-cruelest-cut/We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat

Rough. As far as I know, Geraint Thomas is still riding with a fractured pelvis, too. Troopers!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2013

This is awesome:

http://www.strava.com/activities/64376744cc

Let Ted Ride.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2013

^ That's great! That was a pretty bullshit decision, considering the Tour rules are typically pretty open to interpretation (one of the contingencies for letting him continue to ride was the highly subjective rule that a rider show courage and Tour spirit in order to remain). Not to mention his tiny 7 second lag and the fact he was handicapped by injury and using a road bike.

Also I'm amazed at how Cavendish seemed to position himself perfectly at the very last second. It looked like he was boxed in at first, and the next moment he was perfectly placed. Pro.
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2013

The last couple days of rides has been pretty stunning. Saturday, we saw Porte and Froome put in superhuman efforts on the highest-altitude day the tour will see this year. Behind them, the other GC folk (except Evans, who called the ride "the worst fit day he'd ever had in the tour") were looking pretty healthy and spry, even if they couldn't respond to the hurting Sky put down. Andy Schleck is actually finishing stages where he should be (also, finishing races at all), and Contador was looking strong - but Kreuziger looked like he could have ridden away from Contador. That may get dramatic in week three if Contador can't keep up. And of course, Quintana had one hell of a ride, and looks like he could hold onto the white through the end of the tour.

Yesterday, it sounded like things got off on the wrong foot - apparently Froome was trying to play the role of a heavy handed patron, ordering breaks killed and trying to prevent any breaks from going. This comes on a day when somebody strong could make a serious challenge in a break - IIRC when Voeckler took the yellow in 2011 it was on a stage like this. One tactic Sky used was the "ride in front and barricade everybody in" move. This resulted in Kennaugh taking a trip to the bushes (hilarious video below). Apparently the other teams were having none of Froome's dickishness, and all started attacking Sky. Attacks were driven by Movistar, and we were left with Movistar and the GC crew at the end of the stage - but Froome riding solo nearly all day! Quintana finished out the day taking potshots at Froome, wearing him down, and it was pretty fun to watch.

Anyhow, I'm good and pumped for the rest of the tour - the peloton seems to have settled down and *maybe* Froome's peloton deplomacy (and yellow nerves) are going to cost him the win. Now we get to watch the sprinters for a few days (hoping Sagan continues his incredible hold on green).ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    It's definitely a breath of fresh air after last year's Tour, which was a bit of a snoozer.

Where are you getting this info, and where's that video you promised!
    • CommentAuthortristan

Info is from various articles around the tubbernuts - I am looking forward to rewatching the stage start for myself.

Here's that videoascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^No longer available. Damn.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2013 edited

Weren't Sky and Movistar mainly trying to keep Froome and Porte separated? At least that's what the commentators seemed to be suggesting. Agreed it's been pretty exciting so far. Quintana's solo climb was incredible, and I'm psyched to see more from him. Here's a funny little recap of the tour so far: http://cyclocosm.com/2013/07/how-the-race-was-won-tour-de-france-2013-stages-5-9/

I wonder if anyone else gets as much anxiety from the behavior of the spectators as I do...

I was really hoping someone would make an animated gif of it because it was pretty hilarious, but here's Kennaugh climbing back out of the bushes after a dude basically just rode into him for no good reason.
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2013

My understanding is that Kennaugh went down while Sky was barricading the front of the peloton to avoid breaks - folks weren't having it and tried to push through.

Also, Sky definitely wouldnt have tried to keep froome and porte apart :) It seemed like every team was attacking sky, which would have lead to them becoming split.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthortristan

I call that cav's fault.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthortristan

also cav is kind of a dickascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    I didn't actually see it that way, watching the replay it looked like almost 50/50, but I figure when it's a sprint finish and Cav is in the house, you'd best magically get out of the way or pray for divine intervention.
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat

Yeah I didn't mean Sky was keeping them apart but that's what came out of my fingers, oh well.

Also, Cavendish is on twitter right now defending himself against people calling him out for that ugly sprint that took out Veelers. The camera does weird things to perspective, but it looked pretty clear that Cav plowed right through Veelers.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Isn't the "plough-through" Cav's signature move? (note: British spelling!)Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Not rewatching the footage as I type or anything, but from my memory didn't Cav try to zip around to hop on Vittel or Greipel or whoever's wheel? Maybe it's a good idea for the lead-out man to not just sit up when there are other sprinters trying to come around?

And if Veelers was pulling aside, wasn't he also failing to hold a line in a final sprint? I don't care if you sit up, you're within the sprint zone, you're sprinting.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

DQ: How does a lead out guy provide a lead out if neither the lead out guy nor the sprinter is allowed to change their line?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    nerdo:Isn't the "plough-through" Cav's signature move? (note: British spelling!)

Problem solved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2013 edited

PS: I have always felt that when being overtaken by a faster cyclist, it's better for the slower cyclist to hold their line (circumstances depending, naturally). Holding your line when sprinting should apply to people actively involved in sprinting (i.e. more or less next to eachother, or aspiring to be anyway).

PS #2 : but the holding your line when being overtaken thing obviously doesn't apply to pacelines.
    tristan:also cav is kind of a dick
    I thought that might be you! But there was no shimmy-shake so I couldn't be sure.
    • CommentAuthortristan

ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthortristan

link to kennaugh's fall from 9ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    Side note Cavendish's specialized commercials are hilarious.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2013

tristan:

Shouldn't this be considered assault?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    Also did everyone see this? Cav had urine allegedly thrown at him on the TT today?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/23251598Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2013

cav in yellow!

was the best thing i read on twitter all morning.
    but really that's so gross and icky.

also there's a good freeze frame of the aerial that shows veelers clearly moving into cav, and not the other way around.
    can't be arsed to find it.
    I was wondering why bikesnob had called "Cav in yellow" funnyi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2013

getting interesting!

would be so rad if people started chipping away at froomefroome.
    • CommentAuthortristan

Brilliant ride by Saxo today - they really took advantage of the crosswinds and opened it up. The alps just got a lot more interesting!ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

Why would it be considered assault, Ben? You can see that right before he goes down, Veelers goes from the left side of the white line to the right just as the Cav is trying to come around and taking the shortest line possible. I don't know enough about sprint etiquette to know is something one of them did was wrong, perhaps Cavendish would be considered too close, but I'd be inclined to say that if Veelers is going to deviate from his line, he should probably look to make sure the Manx Missile or some other person going really really fast isn't firing up his right side.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

I admit I don't know much about racing etiquette, but it sure looks like the guy on the right checked the guy on the left. Only the dude on the left ate shit."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    Keep in mind Cav's comment that the road jogged to the left and he had no choice but to go left.

As for assault... c'mon, you put yourself in the middle of a scrum you can't really complain if you get knocked on your ass (aka assumption of risk).

Good stuff today. Always a surprise when what would usually be a snoozer for all but the last few seconds suddenly becomes interesting.
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ

http://tourdejose.com/2013/07/09/screenshots-cavendish-and-veelers/

that's a good series of pics.

veelers went right.
    cav got his elbow under veeler's arm
    veelers went down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

that makes it look like cav's lean might've actually been a protective move.. so whatever momentum veelers came into him with was balanced out by cav's preventative lean.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2013

first cycling event i've watched in forever without that sidi cooking ad! kind of miss it?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6kGxUqf0vA (just no idea how to embed video here)That may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2013

CYCLING SHOESascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."