Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2013

everybody ok? bigass fire right now on calvin street. crazy.
    That's why it smells likke fire everywhere. Is it that big?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

from what i can tell on the intertubes, it's HUGE. 7 alarm.
    I can smell it from HSQ :/YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    Lots of cops directing traffic, Union Sq proper isn't awful but Bow St. is a mess and I *think* S'ville ave and Washington St. are partially shut down.

Apparently this is the third consecutive Thursday morning with a fire in that area, cops suspect arson and actually had officers in the neighborhood this morning on the lookout.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

^wow! arson. really? they suspect that?
    That's what I heard from my Somerville connected peeps. There's been a fire in the neighborhood Thurs/Fri morning the past three weeks, I think. Kinda suspicious.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorthejit

my coworkers house was one of them. from talking to her this morning she said the top 2 floors of her house were the ones that really caught on fire. so i am assuming her house was not the first to catch on fire.
    4 fires in that neighborhood (lake st, lewis st, calvin st, dane st) plus one more on walnut st in the past month. the one on lewis st was buddymike's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

One of my old coworkers was displaced by the recent one and lost everything :c

This is making me reconsider putting back all he house's smoke detectors my roommates have taken down because the batteries died."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Yeah you should definitely do that.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    ^ya. Seriously.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion

also not a terrible idea - renters insurance? turns out it's real cheap, which info doesn't help you if you learn it after the burglary/fire/whateverThat may be my favorite DQ of all time - nerdo
    ^word. Plus depending on your policy it'll cover your bike if it gets stolen, even if it's not from your apartment.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Renter's insurance is WAY inexpensive and they are so great if something does happen. They totally talked me through everything and gave me peace of mind where there was a fire in my building over spring break. I didn't even end up filing a claim because they thought it wasn't worth it. Seriously awesome you guys.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

banana truffles:I didn't even end up filing a claim because they thought it wasn't worth it.

Wait, isn't it in their best interest for you to not file a claim?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    The people who thought it wasn't worth it were the subcontractors that specialized in cleaning textiles, books and furniture. (3 different people)YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthorthejit

apparently my coworker lost everything. fuckn sucks
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

This is reminding me that I need to pack a bugout bag.
    My deepest sympathies to anyone affected by this.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    4 of the 6 houses I've lived in in Boston have had fires. Why you ask? College kids and crack heads. Maybe both. Get renters insurance. Mine is like, 7$ a month. They bought me new swag after the roof caved in over my room.
    Bugout bags are also important. So is knowing your exits. Fucking seriously you guys, you have no idea whats its like to react to those situations until you're in them. Cat carrier is always by the most probable exit, because in the end, thats really all that matters to me in an emergency.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    So the problem I have with packing a such a bag, is that the important stuff is like, stuff you need every day, like medications and communication devices, but you can't just leave them in the bag all the time CAUSE YOU USE THEM EVERY DAY.

i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

^HAHAHAHA!!
    A+ ben

i decided to give myself a very simple new year's resolution - it was to get renter's insurance
    still haven't done it
    it's like, really really stupid NOT to haveMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    DORA I SWEAR TO GAHDYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Ella's going to set your house on fire like she did the others to teach you a lesson.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    I don't know if that is something to joke about while the police are searching for an arsonist.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2013 edited

If we let our fear of the police state stop us from making tasteless jokes online, then the terrorists have won.

Besides, we know there aren't any cops on here.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    HADFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike

I lived in one of the houses that caught on fire on Lewis street two weeks ago, right by today's fire on Calvin. So July 12th, a Friday, 430am fire on Dane street. 503am, my place caught fire on Lewis. Both 1 alarms. Friday, July 19th, Belmont street and Lake Street, 330am and 5am. Today, Calvin street, right across from Dane and but right by a hole in the fence shortcut from Lewis TO the Calvin fires. All in Ward 2 vicinity.
    What I learned from this, get rental insurance!
    Also, I need a housing, if you know anything in Somerville.
    Mike.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2013

THESE ARSONS ARE A SIGN FROM GOD TO GET RENTAL INSURANCE.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    or don't live in somerville?'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

You say tomato, I say tomato.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Hey, they found West Nile in JP. I think God doesn't exist.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    NOWHERE IS SAFE

Sub-creatures! Choose the form of The Destructor!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

There was a cat circus in Somerville during the same week as a string of residential fires: COINCIDENCE?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat

i've been meaning to get rental insurance for a while now. anyone have a recommendation for companies?
    Travelers does my car and renters. Fun fact: Travelers was the insurance company for the Titanic and actually paid out all its claims after it sank.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

6kidz:There was a cat circus in Somerville during the same week as a string of residential fires: COINCIDENCE?

We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Amazing!

I'd do what Alex does and bundle with another insurance you already have. One bill, less hassle, and you'll likely get a better deal.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    SOMERVILLE IS NOT A CRIME.

having said that, we've got preferred mutual and have not had any problems with it.
    We go through a local broker, Foti Insurance in East Cambridge. They're pretty rad, though the actual insurance is from Safety- we had Travelers before but they got us a better deal with Safety when we added auto.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

I never had renters insurance because I'm an idiot, but when I bought I got homeowners. Then I had a pipe break and $25k worth of work cost me a $1k deductible.

Seriously get insurance.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    • CommentAuthorgc

uhh i didn't read any of this thread but that fire fucked up my commute but the main house that got burned or whatever is demolished now i guess.gone
    This thread got really funny.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    killersim:Travelers does my car and renters. Fun fact: Travelers was the insurance company for the Titanic and actually paid out all its claims after it sank.

Travelers was also the insurance company of the car I crashed my bike into and were incredibly easy to work with and actually WANTED to give me a load of money in a settlement, instead of having to go to court.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2013

Just an update on this. According to Boston.com a few days ago, these fires are still being investigated. I went back to the Lewis street apartment and someone switched the padlock on the landlord. She has been able to let people in. We showed up today and her key didn't work and it was a different padlock