Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsourman
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2013

I am interesting in joining the cycling industry. This would include anyone who manufactures or distributes bicycles, frames, components and other stuff. Relocating is not an issue, and fortunately many mfg's are located in the CA bay area. What piques my interest most is the operations/supply chain management side-something that can use this economics degree. I've decided this b/c I love cycling, and would like to be a part of the machine that enables others to enjoy cycling as much as I do. I believe this will bring me some sort of happiness in life. I'm not necessarily looking for connections through this post-but they would be nice. Rather, I'm interested if anyone has insight into this industry:

-How is it? working there and the people? Culture?
    -Awesome companies to work for? -I've applied to some (specialized, fox, marchozzi, elsworth, marin- *avoiding trek and sram b/c of location*) , but may be missing out on some quality players in the field
    -Easy exit from industry, or would one be stuck there b/c the knowledge is not easily transferable.
    -Decent salary?

Any thoughts, insights or advice would be greatly appreciated

-sourman
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2013 edited

Without a solid "in" or very relevant experience, prepare to have a tough time getting noticed. Best of luck to ya.
    I know this because i was applying for 8 or so months to literally every bike company i knew of, and had a conversation with a sort-of family friend who is a regional distributor for one of the big3 bike companies.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ

i know nothing except i want cheap bikes off ya in the future thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

Don't go in with starry eyes.
    Don't go in expecting to make a ton of money.
    That said there are a lot of really smart interesting people in the biz.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2013

Just was in Ride Studio; they had a notice up for a sales assistant. (and a part-time barista)
    Almost everyone I know in the industry end of things spent time in a shop and spent time as at least a manager or buyer

Or are pretty ladies who already were firmly entrenched in the racing sceenTake-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2013

chris king was hiring recently. they are/were mostly looking for skilled machinists, unsurprisingly. i think you'll find a lot of that, so i might suggest learning a trade. that being said, every bike company needs accountants, secretaries, drivers, middle-managers, etc.; i'm sure if you keep trying you'll land something.
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2013

BMC Boston office?