Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2013

ATTENTION!

I've been writing with a group for the last few years, and we've organized a poetry reading at Trident on Newbury St. They've remodeled the upstairs (now includes a draught line) and it's a great spot for a reading. It's free and begins at 7pm. There's four readers, probably a max of 15 min per reader. Come drink some nice beers/wine (or cheap PBR) and bask in the glow that is poesie.
    The writers range in subjects from child soldiers to noir brookline to historical reenactments to happy divorces. We'll have chapbooks to give out as well.
    I do think that the written word, and the importance that it brings to a community, has declined over my generation and although there has been an increase of other publicly supported arts, poetry has been sorely neglected in terms of readership and public interest. But maybe that's cuz we're bad poets.
    I know this is a bit out of the ordinary, but I'm sure some of you are literary-inclined and still find excitement in the sounds of our systemically denatured language.
    Hope to see some familiar faces out there.
    "Noir Brookline." I love that concept.

"Historical Reenactments" No, this has nothing to do with me.

This event sounds rad. I'm in.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

I'd like to go too. I think I can make it.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Sounds like a perfect date night for me.. my gf is a lover of all things writing.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Poetry is stupid. Ride bieks.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

I have one query
    You know what I'm 'bout to ask
    Will there be haiku?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    'You know, I bet if you wanted to host a bike haiku night, a lot of people would come, and you would get a lot of sponsors. You could alternate between "prepared texts" and pulling scraps out of a fish bowl.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    BIKES AND POETRY
    YOU SHOULD SEE THE NAME COMING
    YES, IT'S CALLED "BIKU"All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2013

^I'm gonna start calling you "Slam-Dunk" Sedition."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2013 edited

6kidz:^I'm gonna start calling you "Slam-Dunk" Sedition.
    Your mom already calls him that.

tinyhonkshus:'You know, I bet if you wanted to host a bike haiku night, a lot of people would come, and you would get a lot of sponsors. You could alternate between "prepared texts" and pulling scraps out of a fish bowl.
    That would be an awful lot of fun. What a great suggestion.

I'd be willing to help organize if another one or two people wanted to be involved with planning and execution. (Sedition? Blitz? t-honks?)

Thoughts on venues?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlitz

we should find a bar
    that has lots of tasty beers
    and good bike parking
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I know just the one:
    The other side of Mass Ave
    from...wait...goddammit!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Sorry for derailing Tyler! I would help with organization, but anticipating loss of control of my mental processes starting around 9/4, heavy-handed management would probably help my productivity. As for venues - Gotta choose between venue that will allow donated booze, and one that will be cash bar. Also handing out free beers is probably legal gray/black area, would be curious how 4th Wall does it.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Lucy Parsons Center? BYOB?All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2013

*BURP*
    For Thursday! I hope to see you guys there - shan't be more than an hour, and we shan't say shan't anymore than this.
    I'd also very into a bike-poetry event. Haikus in a fishbowl, reflections on doors, rites of passage from the SWC to Minuteman. Make it happen!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2013

I just realized I've got a dinner date that night with Ted.
    Tyler, does this happen regularly?

Also, if we're planning our own BAIKU deathmatch series/high school poetry journal club event should we start with a house party version first and plan out bigger from there? I'd be willing to host, but a place with a back yard might be a more compelling venue. Thoughts?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    I live in the attic of a large house with a large back yard, that is mere seconds from Porter Sq T stop. My housemates are going to Burning Man. I think I'll have the place to myself that week. Not totally sure yet. I might be able to host the week of Aug 26-Sept 1.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    joeyfresh:I just realized I've got a dinner date that night with Ted.

What? You two can't Trident Date?All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2013

There are others involved and, sadly, changing up the plans would be rude.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2013

I hear they're giving out free money tonight. get there ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2013

Good luck, Tyler!"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    YO BOSTON HARBOR
    POETS IMMA LET YOU FIN
    ISH BUT THAT DINNER

WITH JOEY AND MRS FRESH
    WAS DEFINITELY THE BEST
    BUT THEN THEY WENT HOME
    TO WHERE MUFASA DOES ROAM
    AND NOW WE ALL NEED SOME REST
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2013

^LULZ

Tyler, how was the event?
    Is it happening again?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2013

It went very well! There was about 20 people there, including some walk ins from the cafe area. We gave out some chapbooks for free and had a good time.
    After I posted this I got a few texts/msgs about hosting or managing another reading. I'd absolutely be down to do this. I know many folks on here are into art, visual or not, and getting a venue to hang some art, read some words and hang out would be a blast. I feel like there hasn't been a full on get-together in a while. Could this be an impetus?
    tyler:It went very well! There was about 20 people there, including some walk ins from the cafe area. We gave out some chapbooks for free and had a good time.
    After I posted this I got a few texts/msgs about hosting or managing another reading. I'd absolutely be down to do this. I know many folks on here are into art, visual or not, and getting a venue to hang some art, read some words and hang out would be a blast. I feel like there hasn't been a full on get-together in a while. Could this be an impetus?

id be down to art some time