Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

hey ya'll, so it's that time of year again! as fall fast approaches so does the now annual pilgrimage to Brookdale Farms for apple picking. I'm setting the date for Saturday, Sept 21st. I know we usually go early to mid October but we always seem to get there right at seasons end (literally the last day last year.) The website says the season runs from Sept-Oct so late sept might be perfect.
    you can find all the info on the farm here: http://www.brookdalefarms.com/PickYourOwn/
    As taken from the original thread:

I'd like the schedule to look something like this:
    10:00 - meet & greet at Tosci Square in Central
    10:30 - leave for NH! (arrival time estimated around 11:15)
    11:15 -> 2 (or later we'll see how it goes) hang out at Brookdale
    2:00ish - Go to the MAPPLE BARN!!
    3.30-4 - Hit up the state liquor store on the way out and get back to Boston around 5

there has been good luck in the past to get a nice size caravan of cars going- so whoever is interested, speak up so we can get an idea of how many cars we will need to haul everyone out there!
    Let me know if i missed anything- hope to see lots of people out for it this year!'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2013

Goddammit. Guess why I can't make it.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

doracar saggin wagon will be available. seats 5 comfortably. haz bike rack that can hold 3 bikes for folks who wanna ride out but want a ride home

for informed consent purposes; my inspection is expired so if we get pulled over we will be walking home :D buuutttttt now i actually have a current license so its cool/YOLOMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    joeyfresh:Goddammit. Guess why I can't make it.

everyone needs to stop getting married'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

But why does summer have to be over already? Whyyyy :'c"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben

In. If the weather cooperates, I am definitely into the idea of biking out there.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    I am interested this year!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorDoubleL

mayor's cup is the same day :(
    • CommentAuthorben

Mayor's cup is super boring.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

This will be me and nuben's 3rd anniversary.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    October 2nd was the other day I had in mind, I don't care either way I just don't want to go too late. Whatever seems better for you savages.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    • CommentAuthorben

9/21I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2013

I took me three reads of the thread to realize this will be via car... 45 minutes riding to NH WTF?
    I'd really like to come, but I'm applepicking with my students two days before and I probably have to work (meaning I will be scheduled and must request it off)
    Will there be pie baking somewheres after?
    ^probably! we should have a party the day after with bakes goods and my famous apple cider.

Can we get a sticky on this? pleaaassse'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2013

YES APPLE PARTY OMGMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    If date works, I am in.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2013

You're bringing a date?!I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Yes. They are great snacks.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.

not alwaysDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2013 edited

Lookit Evan with the sweet FINISHING MOVE

(That's Evan. The other guy is the thread.)We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

HOLD UP IM GUNNA BE IN VEGAS (i keep typing vegan) from the 18th through 21/22. we will hold a vegas-edition apple party in your honor with apple-tinis galoreMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    • CommentAuthorben

But Dora! :(I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2013

I could go if it were on Sunday, but I'll be paying lots of dollars to get dropped on laps around downtown Boston on 9/21 :c"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben

That sounds awful. You should come apple picking instead.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Yeah.... But I told myself I want to race this at least once, it'll be fun to close down city hall and race bikes around it. Taking bets on how many laps in I'll get pulled. Maybe I'll go apple picking on Sunday anyway."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Do they pull people from the mayor's cup? Maybe I just didn't pay as good attention as I should've last year.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2013

I assume so, it's a crit with a large field and a good payout, and usually if people are going to get lapped they'll just pull them off the course. I'm afraid it's going to be full of really fast people, being the only non-pro women's race."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2013

Yes, they pull people from the mayor's cup. A crit without folks getting pulled would be super dangerous.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2013

I mixed up the dates and realized I'll be on tour this saturday! nyc->bos
    But If pies happen on sunday I'll be down
    Im in. Will be driving down after cx race in concord.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2013

i went apple picking yesterday at Lookout Farms in Natick. Bit into a peach and there was a small, white worm at the center of the peach crawling on the pit. Not sure what thats about.MUFFDVR
    • CommentAuthorspokenword

we got all kinds of hassle with trying to lock up our bikes at Lookout Farms, and our friends who drove in and went picking said that it was decidedly 'meh' and amusment park like experience. I think they're mostly coasting on being one of the closest orchards to the city; but given the bike hostility that we got, Lookout is permanently in my 'fuck those guys' dossier of places.

I have conflicting plans on 9/21, but am looking to get a group of people together to ride to Nashoba and pick apples there on 10/4 if anyone is interested.

I might be into a potluck on Sunday though. I have this recipe for taking pie crust and splitting it into muffin tins to make individual cupcake shaped pies that can fit in a bag on a front rack.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRachel

There is a small chance I'll have work this day, but if not I'd like to go!

Is there a group biking there? And is there space in a car for me, my bike, and my apples on the way back?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

spokenword:am looking to get a group of people together to ride to Nashoba and pick apples there on 10/4 if anyone is interested.

Am free on 10/4. Would be interested in this.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorspokenword

cool.

in the interest of not confusing Alex's thread, if you're interested in 10/4 as an alternate (or additional) apple picking trip, please whisper me interest, and I'll coordinate separately.

The ride's about 34 miles each way, mostly flat riding through Concord and Acton and a wee bit of steepness climbing into Nashoba itself. Going to be doing mostly bike path and back roads, but there's a couple of miles on numbered highways (117) between Stow and Bolton. Return is generally downhill and tailwind-y all the way, and there's a bailout option to the Commuter Rail in Acton if you need it.
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

spokenword:we got all kinds of hassle with trying to lock up our bikes at Lookout Farms, and our friends who drove in and went picking said that it was decidedly 'meh' and amusment park like experience. I think they're mostly coasting on being one of the closest orchards to the city; but given the bike hostility that we got, Lookout is permanently in my 'fuck those guys' dossier of places.

I've been a few times with my school and it's been fun. This is apple-picking, not high adventure. I think there's a reason most patrons are parents and toddlers.
    Without the hokey train ride and silly barn full chock-full of edibles they'd make even less money than if they just grew produce and sold it to distributors.
    Locking up bikes was a problem? What happened?
    Just lock the whole lot of them together. If you got balls enough to nick someone's wheels at an orchard 5 miles from township then godbless ya cause hell's been waiting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

tyler:
    spokenword:we got all kinds of hassle with trying to lock up our bikes at Lookout Farms, and our friends who drove in and went picking said that it was decidedly 'meh' and amusment park like experience. I think they're mostly coasting on being one of the closest orchards to the city; but given the bike hostility that we got, Lookout is permanently in my 'fuck those guys' dossier of places.

I've been a few times with my school and it's been fun. This is apple-picking, not high adventure. I think there's a reason most patrons are parents and toddlers.
    Without the hokey train ride and silly barn full chock-full of edibles they'd make even less money than if they just grew produce and sold it to distributors.
    Locking up bikes was a problem? What happened?
    Just lock the whole lot of them together. If you got balls enough to nick someone's wheels at an orchard 5 miles from township then godbless ya cause hell's been waiting.

They just don't let you up to the farm on a bike I think because of safety reasons. You can ride up the driveway a little bit but then someone stops you eventually.MUFFDVR
    Lookout Farms used to be super awesome before the current owners bought it. I just want to get that out there.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    i figure this is the most relevant thread for this discovery

peanut butter stuffed caramel apples tutorial
    somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2013

I'm still in for 9/21, and am still interested in biking out there.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    I think I'm out because I'm not sure my back could handle the car ride :(i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ROLL CALL FOR WHOS COMING ON SAT
    Im in with a car that can fit 3'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    I'm out because shit in my lab is GETTIN REAL.

Have fun doods.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2013

I'm In if I can get back by 3pm.

I guess that could mean driving out with a car and bike and biking back when people go to the maple barn (since i can't eat anything there anyway). Would have to pick up the apples somehow though....I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2013 edited

In, will be coming from concord with friend

^you can put your apples in my car if ya wantsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    should we maybe push this out til the beginning of october? I feel like theres only going to be like 4 people coming.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    • CommentAuthorben

Fine with me if you want to postpone. Do have some stuff planned for early October but can hopefully make the next one.

If we go this Saturday I'm still in, though.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t

I have most Saturdays free, so I'm fine with whatever.
    Whats the plan stan?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOG killersim
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2013 edited

i say lets just go tomorrow and we can always make a second trip in early october. That being said, anyone who wants to go from Boston, meet at tosci park at 10 if you need a ride to NH!'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.