Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2013

Nope
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

joeyfresh:Can anyone explain to me how "Boston Strong" isn't just a bullshit undeserved self-stroke, chest-thumped by the whiniest group of self-centered and deluded shits you've ever met in your life?

I think this is how people not from Boston feel about it. You have just revealed your outsider status and will be summarily beaten with a bronze statuette of Big Papi.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ

remember how terrifying and surreal and all around weird things were after the marathon bombing?
    i understand why people have grasped it as a slogan generally
    that it's now some catch-call of broing down doesn't remove it from being a phrase people used to help them get through or something like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

This is the most aggressively insecure place I've ever seen. 10 years here and I love it more than ever, but fuck this whole town needs therapy.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

•  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2013 edited

Jimmy: What I saw mostly after the bombing was that "Boston Strong" meant "Willing to exchange civil liberties for the illusion of security". That is the most egregious display of weakness there is. Don't a lot of these people have a god they can pray to? What faith.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    "Boston Strong"

It's a "strong" statement that persists because of how vague it is. People can breath their own meaning into it. At one time it had more collectively understood interpretation (e.g. right after the bombing). Now, it's a catch phrase for anything.

We are no less insecure than anywhere else in the US...we are just more vocal, and, well, "aggressive" about it.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ

^^i didn't see that, i saw it as a term that sold well on tshirts.

but it obviously has some meaning in the collective consciousness, good or bad.
    i think there are a lot of people who like the phrase who aren't sports-bros looking to roll cars.

^also yep. i've been in a shop hearing tourists asking for shirts with boston strong on them; and seen gross people using the phrase.

it has no special meaning to me personally

but anyway, to your first question; i think that there are people who use it in the way you described, but i also think there are people for whom it actually holds some kind of meaning and sense of camaraderie following the bombing.
    Reminder: the term was first used, in a major way (if I recall correctly), as the name of a charity fund to help those impacted by the bombing. A "we got your back" type of sentiment.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    As for the general appeal of the sentiment, it seems clear to me that there are a lot of Americans out there who long for a simpler time when we could all stand behind something and know it's "right" and "good" et cetera (without getting into squabbles over the real inequities in our society); something that people think hasn't really existed since WW2.

"So good! So good!"
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2013 edited

chr|s sedition:"Boston Strong"

It's a "strong" statement that persists because of how vague it is. People can breath their own meaning into it. At one time it had more collectively understood interpretation (e.g. right after the bombing). Now, it's a catch phrase for anything.

We are no less insecure than anywhere else in the US...we are just more vocal, and, well, "aggressive" about it.

Does anyone remember the Aquateen Hunger Force bomb scare? Afterwords I was convinced that this entire city did need therapy; I mean why did everyone turn it into such a big thing here, and not in any other city where they put those things? I feel kind of funny thinking this now after we actually got bombed.
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    My friend posted this right after the win and it was the best thing I saw all night:

HARD TO GET EXCITED ABOUT THESE RED SOX
    ^oh man that was the most hilariously poorly planned thing I've ever seen.

Also this gif:

with this music

Yakety SaxNaaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

joeyfresh:This is the most aggressively insecure place I've ever seen. 10 years here and I love it more than ever, but fuck this whole town needs therapy.

I agree on all fronts. Though it's pretty standard to have slogans co-opted for evil. Look at "Don't Mess With Texas," which started out as an anti-litter campaign and ended up as jingoistic blather.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Ellsbury. Wow.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Nu JudasDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    surprisefries:Nu Judas-tevez

Fixed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2013

JacoBURN Ellsbury

We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    god he looks like such a fucking Yankee in that picture.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

If you paid me $153,000,000 over the next 7 years, I'd lick poo off the streets for you. He'll be making nearly $60,000 EACH DAY. How many of us make that in a year?

Crapitalism is the enemy here, not Ellsbury. That's right, I said crapitalism.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

sports.
    But I meaannnnnnn, it's not $153M compared to our salaries, right? Obviously he wouldn't have made that much elsewhere, but I bet not far off.

But y'know whatever, people will still buy $100+ tickets, cities will still subsidize stadiums, players will still get a bajillion dollaz.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorwirktk88

How do you feel about college players being paid?
    They should be paid, but maybe into an escrow account that they get later? People make so much fucking money off them.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Economically, sports suck."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthortone
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2013

^ Oh great, now we're bashing non-profits.We are the small axe.
    college athletes should get paid. they're basically killing their last opportunity at formalized education so old people can say "oh, the college years...," while sitting in their squishy corner office chairs. however, they should not get paid or get "benefits" from team recruiters -- they should be paid by the schools and the schools alone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorwirktk88

^agreed. I think it would make sense to make the terms of payment similar to food stamps. Just to avoid any issues of athletes spending the money on alcohol, drugs, etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

^Yeah, because that works so well with actual food stamps.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorwirktk88

^Ha yea believe me, I know. Just didn't know what else to use an example.
    What about everyone making crazy money selling jerseys with their name on them? They should get a cut of that too. Or would the school handle that since they're getting licensing fees anyway?

I like when we solve problems.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    or maybe there could be a separate minor league the colleges are just not at all involved in?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    seanile mick:or maybe there could be a separate minor league the colleges are just not at all involved in?

You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorwirktk88

Just watched some xfl videos. So brutal. It was indeed, an extreme football league.
    HE HATE ME
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2013

surprisefries:What about everyone making crazy money selling jerseys with their name on them? They should get a cut of that too. Or would the school handle that since they're getting licensing fees anyway?

I like when we solve problems.

Why would anyone buy a jersey with the name of some college kid on it? Like why would you follow a college team unless you were a student there or it was your alma mater?
    Freewheel Burning:HE HATE ME

This is my first thought every time XFL comes up.

^Dude tons of people root for teams from colleges they never went to, myself included. I root for Penn State because I'm from Central PA, both my parents and a lot of my friends went there, a lot of their friends and their friends' kids, etc. It's a regional thing just like rooting for a pro team, though a lot of people prefer college sports 'cause (the idea is anyway) that the players care a lot more about their team and less about making fat stacks. Obviously that's not 100% true but it just has a different feel to it than pro sports. Also depending on who you root for it can be a lot cheaper.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Are there actual jerseys with the names of college players on them? Or just jerseys/sweatshirts/etc with the names of teams? I've not seen the former but I hate all that sports crap.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Y'know what, I don't actually know. I just kind of assumed and feel like I have seen them. But maybe they're not from official (NCAA, school) stores. Quick search didn't come up with any so you may be right.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    FYI, in MA "food stamps" are run VIA the EBT program. The receipiant is given something like a debit card with a certain amout of money on it, that is reduced with each sale. The cards will NOT work for booze, buts, and even some food products.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

But they are fungible in that people will sell them for half the value in cash, etc. It's really easy to go shopping with someone, swipe for them, and then get paid cash money that can be turned into booze, smokes, etc.
    (To make it clear, I'm not saying this in a judgmental way at all. Booze and cigarettes rule. I'm just saying that an NCAA system like that "to prevent fraud" is a stupid dumb idea.)We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

The only way to control inappropriate spending by college athletes is to not engage in the bloated overvaluation of college sports in the first place. Burn your jerseys! Pillage the stadia! Cast off the athlete-as-god mentality! End the atrocity!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    ^^That's why I think escrow accounts might work. Like who cares what they do with the money after they've graduated or otherwise moved on.

^True but never gonna happen. Also in market terms it's not overvalued at all. Capitalism rules, pinko hippies drool.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    ryan t:
    surprisefries:What about everyone making crazy money selling jerseys with their name on them? They should get a cut of that too. Or would the school handle that since they're getting licensing fees anyway?

Why would anyone buy a jersey with the name of some college kid on it? Like why would you follow a college team unless you were a student there or it was your alma mater?

There doesn't need to be a market outside of students and alums. Ohio State, for example, has an enrollment of like 50k.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    joeyfresh:But they are fungible in that people will sell them for half the value in cash, etc. It's really easy to go shopping with someone, swipe for them, and then get paid cash money that can be turned into booze, smokes, etc.

People selling EBT cards for cash is a separate issue. That said, it is a 100% falsity that alcohol and cigarettes can be purchased with EBT cards in Massachusetts.

Oh, and, college sports are the modern plantation.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2013 edited

chr|s sedition:
    joeyfresh:But they are fungible in that people will sell them for half the value in cash, etc. It's really easy to go shopping with someone, swipe for them, and then get paid cash money that can be turned into booze, smokes, etc.

People selling EBT cards for cash is a separate issue. That said, it is a 100% falsity that alcohol and cigarettes can be purchased with EBT cards in Massachusetts.

If you look back in the thread, no one claimed that you could do this directly. Effectively, you can though. That was my one and only point.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    tinyhonkshus:
    ryan t:

There doesn't need to be a market outside of students and alums. Ohio State, for example, has an enrollment of like 50k.

In addition to the millions of actual alumni, there are soooo many OSU fans in Columbus that aren't alumni. Because we don't have an NFL team, folks treat Buckeye football the same way.

My dad went there so that's how I got roped in. Plus I like mistakes and marching bands so college football is where it's at.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    ^Word.

I don't see why rooting for the regional college team is much if any different than rooting for the regional pro team.

And fuck yeah marching bands, except like 90% of the ones in the Macy's parade sucked.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Plus I like mistakes and marching bands so college football is where it's at.

Then HS football, with special emphasis on the mistakesAll you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.