Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Post any and all bike stuff that you've broken, tacoed, crashed, disintegrated, had mysteriously decompose against your will or by any action or inaction allowed to come to harm.

Feel free to repost from other threads, in particular the accomplishments thread (none of that making it or faking it BS). Let's just make sure it was broken by us.

Please include pictures, part details and how it met it's end, all relevant injuries, etc.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpaul jameson
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2013 edited

surprisefries:double crosspost like a boss

Sugino 75 BB spindle.

"So this happened starting up from a red light. Fortunately I had to head back home after Breakfast Club: Donut Division to get something for Mrs. Fries, so I didn't have far to walk"You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  

LOOK clipless mountain shoes I owned a few years back (unknown model).

Starting up from a red light on my sweet fixie, the sole unglued and landed me on my ass.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    That BB wasn't the original Sugino, I had it swapped out like a year ago. Don't know the brand.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2013

torque for days.
    surprisefries:That BB wasn't the original Sugino, I had it swapped out like a year ago. Don't know the brand.

And here I took you for an NJS only man.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick

cyclocross. i took out gregg and he kicked this inward i think. i pulled it out and let it snap back into position. still using it.

my big friend came to me asking why his pedals weren't spinning.

my first and only broken spoke. chain suck due to a poorly adjusted derailleur was the cause.

crank arm seized to the bb spindle, and the puller threads stripped. josh at open plus an angle grinder got it off without nicking the frame.

only to have this happen to the frame/fork a few months later.
    somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

the most fucked up wheel i've ever seen, i think

alex's soma after being run over by a crazed lunaticMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

on a lighter note
    i'm sure this did some damage, right? :D
    LOLOLOZ

Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    O DAMYou said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    hahahahahahaha

Sean you've really only ever broken one spoke? I've broken like 5, I know I'm a fatty but I don't really ride hard.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorgc

work bikes. died downtown.

gone
    surprisefries:Sean you've really only ever broken one spoke? I've broken like 5, I know I'm a fatty but I don't really ride hard.
    yep! it's a point of pride for mesomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2013

^you're proud that you haven't been riding that long or that you don't ride hard enough?
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

dora:
    the most fucked up wheel i've ever seen, i think

alex's soma after being run over by a crazed lunatic

spoke card was still good
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

Usually when I break something on my bike I'm either hurt or drunk so I never take a picture."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2014 edited

The rear wheel on my GT had been braking like it was out of true for like a week. When I finally got around to truing it, I noticed that when I put lateral pressure on the rim it buckled like a wet noodle. Then this happened:

then this:

Sun Assault rim, unknown mileage.

WTB: 32 hole road rim or Shimano 8sp compatible rear wheelYou said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2014

Did you buy that wheel from a reputable source?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    absolutely not.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2014

graham you gunna post a pic of ur trek?Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2014

pocky:And now I'm inspired to post a couple more photos for the Lake Appreciation Thread:

Tristan, here's a closeup of the cracked sole plate that I was telling you about on Sunday. I'll try writing to Lake -- after 10+ years of daily use, I'm not going to presume anything, but who knows, maybe they will send me a new pair in thanks for a good story!
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaolo
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2014

So my headlight fell off today. The bracket just snapped in half. the headlight is ancient but the bracket was an expensive Busch & Mueller, only a couple years old.
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2014 edited

photo 9020db96-9ac3-4b27-85bc-cb9d79891fca_zpse858fdeb.jpg
    This happened at the Wells Ave crit today. A group of guys went down right in front of me, and I was forced into the mix. There were no serious injuries, but if things had worked out a little differently, me or someone else might be in the hospital right now getting CAAD7 removed from them.
    • CommentAuthorbaker

That sucks about your bike but glad you weren't injured! I heard there was a broken arm and a broken collarbone :(

I encountered a similar scenario in April. My frame was ok but my ENVE fork, stem and wheels did not survive. My back is still not fully healed (why I haven't been at Wells this year). Stay safe.I am the reason your son is crying.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2014

This is the problem with Wells Ave. Buncha yokels.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorryan t

I didn't know about the broken arm or collarbone, but it doesn't surprise me because it was a big pileup. I walked away from it, but later at home I realized that my hip had gotten tweaked, because right now it really hurts to walk.

I think what happened was someone was riding a little sketchy, and someone else put a hand out to say "hold your line", and then when the guy felt a hand on him he got even more sketched out, and they touched wheels, or something like that. I like doing Wells because it's not a technical course, and there's less sprinting out of the corners, because it's shaped like a donut. You can also ride with some pretty gnarly pros if they combine A and B races... Skip Foley was there today, and Tim Mitchell was there last week. It just sucks when stupid mistakes like this happen.
    • CommentAuthorbaker
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014

^^you're kidding yourself if you think road racing is ever safe. crashes are a part of the sport at all levels.

^that is such bullshit. people like that ruin it for everyone else.I am the reason your son is crying.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014

Which group were you riding in? I've only ridden Cat 4/5 there. Many crashes.

Though the dumbest crash I witnessed was at the Miles Standish crit. Dumb mistake 1: A guy had left his saddle bag on his bike, and it was unzipped. Dumb mistake 2: Second rider reaches over and tries to zip it closed for the first guy but loses control and crashes, taking several other people with him. I'm pretty sure the saddle bag guy escaped the carnage.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014 edited

I'm a 4, so I do the B race. Although, half the time (including yesterday) it seems like they run an A/B combined race, so it ends up being 1-4.