Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthor.dotalise
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2013

I know its sounds presumptious that a forum of strangers will go for it, but i can't imagine a whole wknd without getting on a bike. i'm from boston but i live in atlanta. i ride a fixie with a front brake. idk maybe we can meet up and ride together.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Who are you, what size bike, are you a cop, etc?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthor.dotalise

lmao nope definitely not a cop. i ride a 55cm i belief. idk how to post an image buuuut here's a link to my image. i'm the girl https://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1393923_10201037839768524_128798969_n.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

sickk shoes.
    .dotalise:lmao nope definitely not a cop. i ride a 55cm i belief. idk how to post an image buuuut here's a link to my image. i'm the girl

COPDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben

.dotalise:lmao nope definitely not a cop. i ride a 55cm i belief. idk how to post an image buuuut here's a link to my image. i'm the girl https://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1393923_10201037839768524_128798969_n.jpg
    Found you

Are you in town for the thanksgiving holidays, or planning ahead for christmas? I could probably loan you my winter beater bike if it's for thanksgiving.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Good luck with the search. People are nice, maybe it'll work out! If not, I think you can rent a bike from Urban Adventours? Craig, confirm or deny this.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthor.dotalise

nerdo:Good luck with the search. People are nice, maybe it'll work out! If not, I think you can rent a bike from Urban Adventours? Craig, confirm or deny this.
    i checke

checked it out. the price is very reasonable. i just may go with that

this is my first forum. this is fun!
    • CommentAuthor.dotalise

Nuggetross:sickk shoes.

thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

i heard that Hubways are going to be left in Cambridge for the winter. You could bust one of those outMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Awwwwww yeah.

I totally know how you feel, though, about not wanting to go bikeless for the long weekend. I used to fly my bike home to Seattle when I visited, just to have the option to ride.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthor.dotalise

nerdo:^Awwwwww yeah.

I totally know how you feel, though, about not wanting to go bikeless for the long weekend. I used to fly my bike home to Seattle when I visited, just to have the option to ride.

with us airways its 200 to fly my bike. i've seen folks break their bikes down and carry them in a suitcase. what do you usually do?
    • CommentAuthor.dotalise

ben:
    .dotalise:lmao nope definitely not a cop. i ride a 55cm i belief. idk how to post an image buuuut here's a link to my image. i'm the girl https://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1393923_10201037839768524_128798969_n.jpg
    Found you

Are you in town for the thanksgiving holidays, or planning ahead for christmas? I could probably loan you my winter beater bike if it's for thanksgiving.

yes! i am in town for TG. i fly in tomorrow evening and i leave saturday.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

.dotalise:
    with us airways its 200 to fly my bike. i've seen folks break their bikes down and carry them in a suitcase. what do you usually do?

I used to have one of these (an older model). I've also cut down a bike box into a parallelogram that fits the bike frame, more or less, and stashed wheels in a wheel box and checked the two boxes as luggage. This was all before airlines charged for each checked bag. If you're interested in the latter, here are some annoyingly thorough and nerdy instructions:

stickyfoot:Ok, so if you want to fly ghetto and you're prepared to take your bike completely apart, this is your recipe for free flying:

Cardboard bike box (free from some shops...try not to pay for one!)
    Cardboard wheel box (free also)
    Frame savers (plastic doodads that wedge in your fork and dropouts...get these for free from a bike shop too)
    Utility knife
    Duct tape
    Some kind of padding (I bought bubble wrap, but you could probably also just use some clothes)
    Tools to disassemble your bike
    A few ziplock bags, if you so desire
    A sharpie

1. Take your bike apart, except for the bottom bracket. It's mainly essential to get the fork out and cranks off. Keep the messy bits like headset parts and the chain in ziplock bags.
    2. Open the bike box along all glued seams so that it lies flat. Note: pay attention to how the box was assembled in the first place. You'll be reconstructing it using similar principles, only with a smaller, funkier shape.
    3. Note the hinge in the cardboard where the two large sides meet a smaller rectangle between. We'll call this smaller rectangle the hinge piece. Lay your frame along one side of the hinge piece and trace around it. Be sure to make it so you have plenty of cardboard (4-5 inches worth) on the outside of this line, with the exception of the hinge side. Flip your frame over so that you're tracing the mirror image of what you just traced, only on the other side of the hinge piece. You're aiming for a mirror image of your bike frame, but with a rectangular hinge of cardboard between the frame shapes. Again, similar in concept to how the box itself was assembled. (This will be easier to picture when you have the box in front of you.)
    4. Using a straight edge, draw another line that's slightly larger than the exact frame shape you just traced. This is to accommodate for padding, and to simplify the shape so you're not cutting out the exact shape of your head tube and whatnot. Basically, simplify the shape so it's easier to make into a 3D box that your frame can fit inside. A parallelogram-ish shape works well.
    5. Next, draw some tabs that will become the top, bottom and sides of the box. Draw 4-5 inch lines that go perpendicular to each edge of your parallelogram. Then connect those lines with another line, so you have a long rectangle jutting off the side of each edge. Picture those diagrams of paper houses and stuff. That's what you're aiming for.
    6. Cut out along the outside edge of all the lines, making sure you don't cut where you should be folding.
    7. Score along the fold lines and put the box together! Reinforce all the seams with duct tape, but leave one end open so you can get stuff in and out. Also, it might be a good idea to cut a handle into it, or fashion some kind of strap. I just cut a hole roughly where the top tube was so that I could reach in and use the frame itself as a handle.
    8. Wrap all parts in your padding and put inside the box carefully. Deflate the tires and put the wheels in the wheel box. Reinforce the spot in the wheel box where the axles meet the cardboard. I just used tape, but it wouldn't hurt to add a piece of cardboard on the inside too.
    9. Divvy up your parts and tools between the boxes, to spread the weight evenly. Seal up both boxes with duct tape when you're done. (The TSA will open these boxes, so be prepared for that. They'll reseal them with duct tape when they're done making sure that your bike is not a pipe bomb.)

So, yeah, complicated but cheap. It's hard to describe without a diagram. Maybe somebody can draw something up? Hit me up if you have any questions.

rob
    Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthor.dotalise
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2013 edited

stickyfoot:Ok, so if you want to fly ghetto...

i always wanna fly ghetto
    • CommentAuthor.dotalise

essentially i want to pack my bike. i just don't have the tools to put it together when i get to boston. well i don't own my own tools (own and own that's funny to me) so i can def break my bike down but idk if i can put it back together in my mothercity
    Yo Dotalise, just give UA a call and rent. We're running a special for the winter where everything is 10-25% cheaper.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthor.dotalise
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2013

<blockquote><cite> Craigglesofdoom:</cite>Yo Dotalise, just give UA a call and rent. We're running a special for the winter where everything is 10-25% cheaper.</blockquote>

nice cuz they're already fairly reasonable
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2013

.dotalise:
    stickyfoot:Ok, so if you want to fly ghetto...

i always wanna fly ghetto
    Haha, I like you. I hope you hang out some time.
    I like Atlanta, but have only been there a few times. What are you up to down there?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthor.dotalise
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2013

Joeyfresh atlanta has something for everybody. Strip clubs, dive bars, terrible seafood, horrible dismal seafood. it makes me cry. No but Atlanta is a new city relative to Boston. it's kind of wild and uncharted in some respects.