Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I'm actually surprised we don't have this thread already. Post anything bike/history related.

Fair warning, most of my posts in this thread will be photos of bikes in use during WWI and WWII.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAll you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAll you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.

• CommentAuthorroburrito
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2014

"Cyclist No. 3 without realizing it, is an ally of Hitler"A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    huh?All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    roburrito:"Cyclist No. 3 without realizing it, is an ally of Hitler"

Every time I see someone with way under-inflated tyres, I will point and yell, "ALLY OF HITLER!"DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2014 edited

chr|s sedition:Image and video hosting by TinyPic

scraper bikeeeesomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    surprisefries:
    roburrito:"Cyclist No. 3 without realizing it, is an ally of Hitler"

Every time I see someone with way under-inflated tyres, I will point and yell, "ALLY OF HITLER!"

My life just changed. I will now be saying that to the end of time.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    jean-claude-rude-pescarolo
    ^ No words...All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Who's the gentleman on the right?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2014

homestead
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

sedition, you REALLY need to come get that book that paul got you. you will be obsessed.Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    Book? What book? Invite me over.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.

•  
      CommentAuthordora

chr|s sedition:Book? What book? Invite me over.

wait did i say book? it is totally not a book.

the present that paul got you that has been at our house since secret satan. you will luvvvv ittttt. you should catch the tag n brag and stop by!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

(when paul is around so he can bestow his gift upon you)Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    • CommentAuthorspokenword

some of my favorite old time photos:

I only noticed the dude photobombing in the back with what is probably an old-time growler, and that just makes it even more awesome.

Opperman on a breakaway during the fifth Paris-Brest-Paris

I just love the concept of a cross country bike ride without support or a team car handing you your next bottle of Heed, and instead just stopping in a village for a bowl of soup, a bit of bread and a glass of wine. Because that, my friends, is the life.
    ^ /end thread.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Hudson 1939 catalog cover.

Standard 1937 catalog cover.

Cyclo Gears 1938 catalog cover. This could totally be next tattoo.

Bates 1930's catalog cover.

Awesome. That Bates cover is mindblowing.
    dude 1939 kinda looks like youi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ^ Whoa. Hadn't noticed that, but yes.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Here's a PDF of the entire Bates catalog. It's pretty fascinating:

Bates Catalogue
    The caption at the bottom basically says, "The cyclist, who very much devoted himself to alcohol, had a fork fracture." Photo says it all.

Spotted this in Porter Sq today. Rod brake system. So awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2014

Nice. I like the built in "lock"MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2014

tinyhonkshus:dude 1939 kinda looks like you

Thought the same!"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Just scored this off UK eBay. 1939 3-speed Sturmey Archer AW hub for my WWII bike project.

• CommentAuthorspokenword
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2014

You guys, the British Library just started posting a bunch of public domain photos to Flickr.

Image taken from page 103 of 'The Calton Ballads ... Twenty-two full-page illustrations from drawings, etc'
    •  
      CommentAuthortone
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2014 edited

Stumbled across this image for the bicycle corps at Yellowstone in 1897.

We are the small axe.
    oh fuck yeahi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthora_lion
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2014

Zalbum

A fleet of Schwinn Krates awaiting new owners in the 70s. Look at that dude at the counter, what a boss.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaolo
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2014

My dad recently got some Providence newspapers from 1897. At the time the paper had a cycling column. Here's a scan of one. The "Types of Chainless Wheels" section describes shaft drives similar to the modern ones, and a bizarre idea for "the transmission of power by means of balls".

•  
      CommentAuthorPaolo
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2014

I think the 'transmission of power by means of balls' is referring to something like this patent from 1896. It's a fixed gear.
    I have no idea if this actually worked or was ever manufactured.. I can't find any mention other than this patent.
    The patent says "The tubes E' E2 are either attached to the lower braces or substituted for them". I think this means that the balls could run through the chainstays from the bottom bracket to the hub. This would result in an apparently 'magical' and very minimal-looking bike that works but has no visible connection between the cranks and rear wheel.
    Jaw. Floor. This is an amazing find. Thanks for posting.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2014

^^Is it me or would that ball bearing drive have to be built through the rear hub body, making it impossible to change rear wheels without lacing them directly onto the bike?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

jaredistheshit:jean-claude-rude-pescarolo

all well and good but i'd like to this fucker pedal up prospect hill with a twelvepack.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaolo

nerdo:^^Is it me or would that ball bearing drive have to be built through the rear hub body, making it impossible to change rear wheels without lacing them directly onto the bike?

The patent doesn't explain how the wheel would have been installed.. I'm guessing that the chainstays / tubes would end in inward-facing holes that would line up with outward-facing holes in the cones of the hub.
    This is awesome. RAF cadets learning the art of formation flying on bicycles. 1942.

•  
      CommentAuthorPaolo
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2014

My dad has a few months of the 1897 Providence paper. I'll be looking into getting the cycling columns from all of them scanned and posted. Should be lots of interesting material in there.
    Interesting tib-bit I came across tonight:

French Cyclist Plays Role in the D-Day invasion of WWII.

An important role was played by Georges Mercader of Bayeux, a former professional cyclist, who also owned a local bicycle shop. He lived near the coast that would soon become the infamous Omaha Beach. Because he was a noted French racing cyclist, the Germans made an exception to the nigh time cycling curfew for Mercader, and allowed him to practice at anytime. He was also a chief member of the French Resistance.

Under the pretence of training, he pedaled up and down the Normandy coast compiling details of German defenses and naval activity. Asked to report on the key gun emplacement at the cliff-top Pointe du Hoc, Mercader spotted that the main battery had inexplicably been moved inland. Sadly his urgent message sent back to London a few days before D-Day was lost in transit, so the daring and costly attack by US Rangers went ahead on June 6 with no change.

Prior to the D-Day invasion, the BBC broadcast a serried of codes to French Resistance leaders. Mercader was among those ranks. One the night of June 5th, a 10:15pm, he heard on the BBC radio that it was “It is hot in Suez,” the signal to begin sabotaging telephone cables. He mounted his bike, and pedaled quietly into the night to notify his colleagues to start cutting local telephone communication links.

I love the idea of bike shop being a radical hot bed of anti-Nazi activity during WWII.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2014 edited

Your post reminds me that you need to talk to my gf sometime about her post-baccalaureate Fulbright in France interviewing women from the French Resistance.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    ^ !All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2014 edited

"The bicycle brigade at Lockheed Vega Aircraft Corporation. Employees living within four miles of Lockheed's plant may purchase bicycles through the company and resell them to the company when need for them no longer exists. This mode of transportation is becoming increasingly popular, and has resulted in the sale of 2400 bicycles in record time. This is part of the swing shift on the way home at 12:30 am"

From NPR: "During the Great Depression, photographers fanned out across the country to capture the United States. The photographers continued taking pictures during the early 1940s, when the country was focused on World War II.
    A team at Yale University has produced a cool site that allows you to look at the photos from the Library of Congress, county by county, across the country." You can also search by term. http://photogrammar.yale.edu/records/index.php?record=oem2002003183/PP

ETA: Here's another good one, with a bonus kitty.
    "life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaolo
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2014

Wheels of Fortune - The Story of Raleigh Cycles of Nottingham

Nottinghamshire County Council has an online exhibit on Raleigh with lots of great images from their archives.