Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Sorry, giving this one its own thread.

So, this book just came out.

Should cyclists be banned from riding on sidewalks? Should bikes be allowed on trains? How should police deal with large group rides? These are the issues of . . . 1879.

Excerpt: "From 1877 to 1896, the popularity of bicycles increased exponentially, and Boston was in on it from the start. The Boston Bicycle Club was the first in the nation, and the city's cyclists formed the nucleus of a new national organization, the League of American Wheelmen. The sport was becoming a craze, and Massachusetts had the largest per capita membership in the league in the 1890s and the largest percentage of women members. Several prominent cycling magazines were published in Boston, making cycling a topic of press coverage and a growing cultural influence as well as a form of recreation.

Lorenz J. Finison explores the remarkable rise of Boston cycling through the lives of several participants, including Kittie Knox, a biracial twenty-year-old seamstress who challenged the color line; Mary Sargent Hopkins, a self-proclaimed expert on women's cycling and publisher of The Wheelwoman; and Abbot Bassett, a longtime secretary of the League of American Wheelman and a vocal cycling advocate for forty years. Finison shows how these riders and others interacted on the road and in their cycling clubhouses, often constrained by issues of race, class, religion, and gender. He reveals the challenges facing these riders, whether cycling for recreation or racing, in a time of segregation, increased immigration, and debates about the rights of women."

Sounds, rad, right? Well, it gets better. Ferris Wheels is hosting the author on Sunday 7/20, from 4:30-6pm. More details via the Facebook link.

https://www.facebook.com/events/252510321606622/All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthortone
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2014 edited

The author is being publicly interviewed by Derrick Jackson tomorrow.

Wednesday | July 16 | 6:00pm
    46 Joy Street | Beacon Hill | Boston
    Interview | Audience Q&A | Reception | Booksigning

http://www.maah.org/events.htm#Boston_Cycling

More info on Kittie Knox

ETA: Just noticed the $5 admission for this event.We are the small axe.
    ^ Fuck. Can't make that one. My mom just sent me a copy of the book a few days ago (bike mom's rock), but have not started reading it yet.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2014

sounds cool but i'm gunna be a maybe! i'm having event commitment problems latelyMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2014

Count me in.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Did anyone go last night? I missed that one and I'll be in Providence Sunday :(

I want to read the book at least. Just reading about it made me start researching the L.A.W. online and finding some fascinating facts.
    Anyone go? Softball play-offs ran long, at work now, and had to nap before coming in. Couldn't make it, and not happy i missed it.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2014

I was there yesterday. It was great. Larry Finison is a cool guy. I happily bought his book. When I'm done reading it, you can borrow it, Sedition.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    See, I got this super mom. As soon as she saw the article in the Boston Globe on the book, she bought me a copy. :)All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2014

:) D'awwwwww

Thanks for posting this, btw. I wouldn't have known about it if you hadn't put this in a thread here. Thanks!We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthortone
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2014 edited

Thanks for posting. THIS one I can certainly attend.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Arrrrgghh going to Deathwish Fest at the M.E. tonight and that shit starts EARLY.

I can't believe I'm going to miss ALL 3 of these!
    •  
      CommentAuthortone
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2014

I know, two bike meetings this Wednesday and the last. Glad I found that video.We are the small axe.