Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Hey All,

I need some guidance dealing with a drum brake on the Swiss military bike (see New Bike Day thread).

We I got this the read hub needed help. The brake shoe and clutch for the coaster brake were decimated. I ordered/installed replacement parts, and everything seemed to be working fine on the first test ride (went about 2 miles). Today I went out for a ride (about 1.5 miles), and things just didn't feel right. I got home, pulled the hub apart, and found some metal shards! After some inspection, the source of the problem was obvious. Two parts of the *drum* brake shoe were rubbing together. Below you can see the damage. The ring of fresh metal (inside the red circle) sure as hell ain't supposed to be there. I should add the drum brake is NON-functional right now. Previous owner had removed brake handle and brake cable, so the drum was not in use at all during these two rides.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Second, here is what was causing it (again in the red circle).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

What is going on here? Why are these two pieces of mental in contact with each other? Is a spacer of some type missing? Does that thread ring need to be seated further down? Any help would be much appreciated!All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    FIXED!

The answer was SO obvious that myself and 3 others over-looked it for 30 minuets (well, me for the last day or so)! I took it to Ace this afternoon. Myself and three mechanics looked at the problem for awhile, and no one could figure it out. Then it just dawned on one of them: NO BEARINGS PRESENT ON THAT SIDE! We all just went "AHHHHH," and leaned back in tacit acknowledgment of his genius. Add the bearings, and the "spacer" is suddenly there! They didn't have a proper bearing cage, so he just sold me a bunch loose ones. I grease packed them and the bearing race at home, and for $4, it's now running great! I think there is place in Switzerland that I can order the cage from. GTG.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.