Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Is going down again this year? We are getting close to *that* time.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2014

In. Would be up for a road ride to get somewhere (even part of the way if it's near a train line)"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2014

+1Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    I don't know if I'd have time to organize this fall, but if you're up for suggestions, apple picking at Nashoba Orchard in Bolton, MA has been a pretty good time. Prices are about average ($15/peck, $25/half-bushel) and they've usually had about a half-dozen varieties available at any given time. There's some nice picnic areas and a shack for cider donuts if you're interested (though I find the fruit wines and cordials that they sell to be a little overpriced). I've got a ~30 mile cue sheet for getting out there that I can post here.

also, for reference, a half-bushel can totally fit in a single pannier. a peck should be enough to fit into a Carradice Super C or Nelson.
    • CommentAuthormouse
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2014

http://www.smolakfarms.com/don't take your back or ass off the ground, don't force it, and go real slow.
    this is what we've done in the past, obviously up for switching it around but we've had success in the past, we'd just want to go earlier this year.

hey ya'll, so it's that time of year again! as fall fast approaches so does the now annual pilgrimage to Brookdale Farms for apple picking. I'm setting the date for Saturday, Sept 21st. I know we usually go early to mid October but we always seem to get there right at seasons end (literally the last day last year.) The website says the season runs from Sept-Oct so late sept might be perfect.
    you can find all the info on the farm here: http://www.brookdalefarms.com/PickYourOwn/
    As taken from the original thread:

I'd like the schedule to look something like this:
    10:00 - meet & greet at Tosci Square in Central
    10:30 - leave for NH! (arrival time estimated around 11:15)
    11:15 -> 2 (or later we'll see how it goes) hang out at Brookdale
    2:00ish - Go to the MAPPLE BARN!!
    3.30-4 - Hit up the state liquor store on the way out and get back to Boston around 5

there has been good luck in the past to get a nice size caravan of cars going- so whoever is interested, speak up so we can get an idea of how many cars we will need to haul everyone out there!
    Let me know if i missed anything- hope to see lots of people out for it this year!'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    • CommentAuthorJimi
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2014

I'm in, and I have a car. but I'm comin from north shore so I don't know if that would work out too well.Hi, my name is Jimi and I'm a bike addict
    • CommentAuthorspokenword
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014

I'll be out of town on the 21st, but friends and I are putting together a ride to Nashoba on 27 Sept. Meet at Davis at 8:30 am for 30 mile ride (Cambridge > Arlington > Concord > Acton > Stow > Bolton). Slow pace and pretty easy terrain. The only hill of consequence is Wattaquadock, which is right where the orchard is anyway. We'll probably grab lunch in Stow or Bolton before arriving in the orchard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOG killersim
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014 edited

^the date above is from last year. I think either the 20th (which ill be gone for) or the 27th would be ideal.

also, that sounds wonderful.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    27th is out for me, but don't let that stop any night train roaring through.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2014

reminder folks: this Saturday at 8:30 am, meet at Davis across from the Somerville Theater and ride out to Bolton to pick apples and ride back. Roughly 30 miles one way. Bring some cash for lunch (or BYO lunch) and for apples. Have a plan for getting your apples home. Easy pace, no drop, probably back in town between 4 and 5pm.

General plan is a standard ride to Concord Center, 62 to W. Concord, then the School\Lawsbrook\S. Acton Rd cutover into Stow, then 117 to Bolton. Feel free to PM or text me to let me know if you're interested in coming along.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Estimated speed of this ride? If I did it, it'd be with my relative non-biker gf and our chunktastic corgi in tow....Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)

10-12 mph? We're giving ourselves, like, 4 hours to go 30 miles with a lunch stop in Stow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I'll really try to make it."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I will try to make this but dunno if I can switch workNaaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

Oh man, if I get Ok'd to ride again by the doc at tmrw's appointment, I'm there. I'm even going apple picking tomorrow with my school! But sadly, this is the first year of four I won't be able to ride out and back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2014

Geezus, everything is happening saturday.

FLUFF FEST.

also the race. Gonna try to get back early to help with a checkpoint. Is there a train I could take back?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Fuck this spambot and I will try and join up tomorrow morning'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2014

I wish I could go :/We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

If you can come to the race I'll bring you some apples."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

I'm tied up all day. I don't give a shit about apples, I just wanted to see you all.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks

usually there's a commuter rail you can take back from Acton, but apparently it's not running this weekend :(

If people want to try to get there earlier and ride back earlier, then here's the general direction set (adapted from an earlier ride set starting at the old Carberry's in Arlington Center)

1. Head northeast on Minuteman Commuter Bikeway toward Water St 1.5 mi
    2. Slight left to stay on Minuteman Commuter Bikeway 7.1 mi
    3. Slight right at S Rd 59 ft
    4. Turn left at Railroad Ave 0.2 mi
    5. Slight right at Highland Ave 0.5 mi
    6. Turn left toward Railroad Ave 36 ft
    7. Turn right at Railroad Ave 46 ft
    8. Turn left toward McMahon Rd 0.1 mi
    9. Continue straight onto McMahon Rd 0.2 mi
    10. Turn left at MA-62 W/Concord Rd Continue to follow MA-62 W 3.6 mi
    11. Turn left at MA-62 W/Monument St Continue to follow MA-62 W 322 ft
    12. Turn left at MA-62 W/Monument Square 354 ft
    13. Turn right at MA-62 W/Main St 2.3 mi
    14. Continue onto Commonwealth Ave 0.3 mi
    15. Continue onto Laws Brook Rd 1.4 mi
    16. Continue onto School St 1.8 mi
    17. Turn left at MA-27 S/Main St 249 ft
    18. Turn right at Maple St 0.1 mi
    19. Slight left at Stow St 0.9 mi
    20. Continue onto S Acton Rd 1.7 mi
    21. Turn left at W Acton Rd 0.2 mi
    22. Continue onto Crescent St 0.2 mi
    23. Turn left at Hartley Rd 272 ft
    24. Turn right at MA-117 W/Great Rd Continue to follow MA-117 W 5.9 mi
    25. Turn left at Wattaquadock Hill Rd Destination will be on the left 0.4 mi
    Should I bring a lock?'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.

yes, totally bring a lock. also, of note, there isn't a bike rack. on premises. We're usually pretty good with looking to posts and stuff on the grounds and they haven't given us any hassle in the ... 7? 8? years that we've been picking there.

also ... I may have a stress fracture that I got from rock climbing this past week. The pain started last night and was intermittent and totally absent on the morning commute, but was kinda alarming on tonight's ride home. I'm going to ride to the start at Davis tomorrow and help organize people who want to do the ride, but I may wind up riding back home then getting my car if my foot gets worse. Kinda bummed, as this is a super fun and chill ride, but I also don't want to turn this into a full on broken toe if I can avoid it.
    I'm not feeling super awesome again so dong wait up got me. Have fun though!'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2014

:c I think that leaves like 1-2 potential people, and I was kind of on the fence this morning. Can we try next weekend or the next?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    We'll cure dong wait up somedayi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2014

sorry if my last message wound up sounding flaky. I was really more stressed out about what was going on with the foot. I wound up riding to Davis and not feeling any pain in the foot this morning so wound up going ahead and riding all the way there with three other friends. It was a good time, and totally glad it happened though bummed if my worries discouraged some of you.

Anyway, my folks are going to be in town this weekend, and then I'm out in Philly the next two, so I it was this week for me or not at all for the fall. Good luck with getting a second trip going. Feel free to use the cue sheet that I posted up as a starter if folks don't have other orchard suggestions.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2014

tinyhonkshus:We'll cure dong wait up someday

HAHA

i am glad this got rescheduled cuz i had to go do some shit last weekend.

this coming weekend?Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

tinyhonkshus:We'll cure dong wait up someday
    siggedWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I could probably do this weekend"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries