Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorgastronomin
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2014 edited

I'm not sure if anyone on here rides/races cyclocross but I think it's safe to assume at least a few of you do. It's always been something that's been super appealing to me- it seems like a lot of fun, challenging, lots of freaks. I've also heard the community is super welcoming which is a plus because I'm a pretty nervous dude when it comes to putting myself out there in situations like that. Often times people can be assholes and deter people from trying new things. So my question is, for those of you who ride/race cross, how did you get into it? What steps did you take to get started? I feel like I'd really wanna give it ago, even if it was just riding with someone through some kinda course or someting comprobable before a race or something but literally have no idea where to start. ahhand then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    There are cyclocross practices early mornings in Larz Anderson park. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wednesday-Morning-Worlds-CX-Practice/278205639049002 I have a cross bike for sale if you need one....
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2014

A good way to get into it, besides doing the practices, is just watch a race, talk to some of the people heckling, giving beer-feeds, being all around knuckleheads. Often they'll be on some racing squad or another, or friends with racers. You'll find quickly that most are good people. Cx doesn't tend to attract the aggro-lawyer douche crowd that road racing does. I did one season as part of the Cambridge Bikes squad but sort of hated the racing itself (see below) though the scene can certainly be fun.

About the racing itself: If you're going to race seriously, cardio fitness is a must. Prepare for 45 minutes of nonstop cardio. You can't coast, drafting is ineffective, and you're often jumping on and off your bike to run up hills and hop over barriers. Like other dirt racing mass start events, the hole shot is critical. Where you land in that first sorting is often very close to where you'll finish. And that means that where you are in the line-up before the start is critical. Since some races determine the line-up order based on registration, getting registered early can actually help you finish higher. (Disclosure: I don't know if this is actually true anymore.) Differences in the quality of your equipment seems to matter more in cx than road racing (anecdotal) but the right tires are a must, and they vary depending on weather and terrain of the course. Good brakes are essential as well. Because I had to build my cx rig on the cheap, I had shit quality tires and brakes and paid the price. Also prepare to drop $$ on cold weather clothes as sometimes you'll be racing in the 20s with snow on the ground.

Most of all, good luck!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    I havnt done any racing yet but i got into it after joining a team and being hazed into riding a CX bike. The Larz practices are petering off now that the season is in full swing, but i know that there are a few other practices throughout the city. My friends and i often go to Cutler on saturday morning to ride more technical terrain on our CX bikes.
    First thing is first though, look into getting a bike. Determine what kind of riding you want to do. Single Speed? Canti or disc? Definitely prepare to drop some dough. For a serious rider i think the cheapest bike we have at Back Bay thats worth its weight is the lower tier Crux and i think that start at like $1600?
    My team recommended I start doing the Harvard Stadium stairs a few times a week to get my cardio going since its a weak point of mine.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike

I've been looking into getting into this. Now that the season is full swing, you can get a cyclocross bike on sale. Burlington Cycle Loft has a few that look like great starter bike starting around 800 and some decent ones around 1,200. I don't own a geared bike, but figured it will be a good winter bike that is durable since I fucking break everything.
    As for practices, there is a group of people that ride down in Smith Park in Allston on some Wednesdays. The Geekhouse crew can be spotted down there. Hub Bikes practices on Mondays over in North Cambridge somewhere. If you follow their group on facebook, they'll post times, usually day of. I think they do 2 days a week.
    ^tru-facts. I've been looking into getting an All-City Nature Boy Disc for the winter to replace my beater bike. Would also then double as a SS pit bike for races if i needed it.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    I have a crosscheck sz 54 for sale that i did my first season on. This is my fourth season and now I have a crux that I love. Feel free to PM me any questions.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    Also Team Monster Truck does a low key practice in Fresh Pond on Monday nights.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/530352890346430/YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

go to the B2C2 swap next monday! A lot of people who go to that race, maybe you'll find a sweet bike that fits."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

i just did my first and second cx races at gloucester a few weeks ago. i had intended to do it for awhile, but various things came up and blocked my bh from completion for the past few years.

if you just want to ride cx, the world is your oyster. there are plenty of trails around. racing is fun, but riding with your bros is fun too. i definitely did not feel supported by the race scene for a number of years.

i got the requisite equipment, mostly just a used specialized crux, and just rode offroad. you may need more cold weather equipment if you start to ride later in the season.

i didn't do any cx clinics or anything. i just rode a bunch of trails with my bro friends, mostly mountain bike stuff this year. i feel like you can practice dismounting/remounting anywhere. i definitely suck at it, but riding offroad is the real thing to learn. getting into shape doesn't hurt either. gloucester didn't really have much mounting/dismounting. i don't know about other courses.

another big obstacle, imo, is getting to the damn races. they require cars and waking up ass early on the remaining non-winter weekends of the year. if you can do that, you'll be fine. finding someone to go with you is nice. teams can help, but they're definitely not a requirement.
    can i be your bro friend?
    can i touch your beard?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Never mind, swap canceled :c"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I bought my frame for like $100 from some guy on a cx mailing list that may or may not still exist and built it up with spare parts that I and some friends had laying around. I definitely do not recommend going that route if you want to race. Also note the concept of a "pit bike." Serious cxers have a spare bike in case their primary rig shits the bed mid-race. Another reason I found cx racing to be a little less than ideal as a poor person.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick

here you go, cheapish alu-carbon sscx frameset, limited edition raleigh - $647

it's a derivative of the RXSsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    "cheapish"

I started by going to races and deciding that it seemed way more fun to ride than to watch. I went to some of the first Monstertruck/hub practices on my commuter biek to learn what the sport was about. I highly recommend going before you even consider buying a cross bike. You can mess around and borrow cross bikes from folks there to see what a difference it makes. At the time I had some spare cash, so I bought a CL frame/fork for like $150 and built it up over the winter/spring. I rode it on MTB trails in the summer to get warmed up to the way it handled (especially, at the time, the spongy ineffectiveness of the brakes). Then raced with monstertruck that season (if you're interested in contacting anyone on the team you can whisper me). I have a car, which was clutch because Cat 5 always races early and no one wants to give you a ride to NH at 6 in the morning. (Except Ella who totally gave me a ride to my first race, thanx Ella). Having a team to race with was also a big help because they could also answer my stupid questions, tell me what I was doing right or wrong, and keep me company on before-work training rides.

If you're a sink-or-swim type of person, you can also just sign up for a race and run a mountain bike or anything with wideish tires.

Now I'm looking for CX buds out west, and it's way more obvious how valuable a beginner-friendly team was.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    YOURE WELCOME, BRO FRIENDYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2014

Although I knew about yelling before Ella, I feel like she is really the one who introduced me to it and made me love it.

I LOVE YOU ELLAWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    I LOVE YOU TOO, BRO FRESHYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2014

SO MUCH LOVE IN THE CLUB RIGHT NOW
    XOXO <3 <3 <3
    PS WE NEED TO HANG OUT WHEN YOURE NOT RIDING X AND LOOKING IN EARSWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    CX is one of those things I haven't gone near, and this may sound odd, because I know it would consume me/ruin my life/suck all my money/time, etc. because it looks like SO.MUCH.FUN. I hadn't even opened this thread until today because I was scared of what snowball it might start rolling...All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    chr|s sedition:CX is one of those things I haven't gone near, and this may sound odd, because I know it would consume me/ruin my life/suck all my money/time, etc. because it looks like SO.MUCH.FUN. I hadn't even opened this thread until today because I was scared of what snowball it might start rolling...

I feel the same sad. I was worried the responses would be along the lines of 'get ready to spend some money' and of course they were. Looks like I have some time to think about it, try out some CXish riding on trails and whatever before delving into acquiring all the gear and saddling up for a season.and then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    For the time being, I just get my CX fix by riding down Beacon St in Somerville...All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2014

chr|s sedition:For the time being, I just get my CX fix by riding down Beacon St in Somerville...

my bike and my car feel all the pain from the road. The worst is at night if you take beacon onto park, there is a pothole on the turn near. No matter how many times I take the turn, I always somehow miss it.