Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2014

After Sedition mentioned that the top WWII history museum IN THE WORLD is in Natick, the idea came up to do some rides to historic places and do tours together.

I could do January, or we could wait until spring. Brainstorm ideas here.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    this sounds interesting...

when i read the title i was thinking bfixed history rides narrated by a bfixeder..like someone who's really well versed in boston architecture leads their own ride, or someone who knows a ton about combat-zone era boston leads and talks on their ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I'm in. I like Gary's idea too. I've mapped out some interesting sights in Southie from when I lived there (Whitey Bulger's old hq in the liquor store, etc.)...Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Sounds like fun to me, unfortunately I cannot be on the contributing side of the history at this point.
    my parents lived in a neighborhood in Somerville where there was a grisly murder, but it wasn't like a spooky old timey onei mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    We could make Craig give us an adventour but all get hammered first so it'd be like Drunk History on bikes.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    surprisefries:We could make Craig give us an adventour but all get hammered first so it'd be like Drunk History on bikes.

my friend tried to host a party like this (drunk history in person), not enough people showed up so she opened it up to drunk history and drunk movie/book plot lines
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2014 edited

count me in if this happens

the history ride part
    ^^That sounds like fun. Drunk Whateveryouknowabout party.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Drunk science partyi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

I like Gary's idea a lot, too.
    Who's the first volunteer to lead one of those?

Also, for the other style of history ride, what other destinations do y'all have in mind?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    I will totally ride bikes out to the Collings Foundation in the dead of winter so that some of us can roleplay the Siege of Leningrad and freeze our balls off in fields while dodging tanks.

Did I say too much?

It's also been a while since we did a whiskey night and I'm totally up for hosting another one with bonus drunk history, though as far as historical bike riding ideas:

* obvious one is recreating Paul Revere's ride, or line of march for British troops to Concord.
    * ride the Ghost of I-695 and imagine what Central Square would look like if it got highwayed like Assembly Square?
    * hit all of the old candy factories in Cambridge, Somerville and Boston - Necco, Schraffts, Walter Baker, etc.
    Re Natick WWII Museum...It has been described by London's Imperial War Museum as "containing the most comprehensive display of original World War II artifacts on exhibit anywhere in the world."

Here is the link: www.museumofworldwarii.com

A few things about it:

-It's right behind Sherwood Plaza

-Appointment only. You can't just show-up. The place can have/holc several hundred visitors at one time, but they control numbers to make sure everyone has their best experience.

-This is actually some dude's PRIVATE COLLECTION of stuff.

-A minimum contribution of $25 per person to enter.

The Wiki page for it is WELL worth a read. It is mind-blowing that this stuff in our own backyard;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum_of_World_War_II

The list of what is at this place is just STAGGERING...Just read the web site and wiki page to get a taste. Original copy of Treaty of Versailles (only 2 exist), actual SA shirt worn by Hitler, Patton's Helemet, dashboard of the Enola Gay, amazing Holocaust artifacts, Hitler's first sketch for the Nazi flag, the first message alerting the Navy of the attack on Pearl Harbor, Complete German plans for the invasion of England, a U-Boat map of the EAST COAST OF US, including Cape Code, original uniforms from ever major country, six different Enigma code machines, including the ten-rotor T-52, of which only five are extant, a Sherman tank...and I could go on, and on...

I have been several times. If people want to go, I can serve as tour guide.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    IN

I have a couple of other friends who'd likely want to go as well, but if we do it as a bike ride they may opt to delay their campaign until the Spring.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2014

I'm interested in the WWII museum personal Sedition tour."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."