Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

west wind was a damn force on the way back to watertown tonight, lol

was wondering who's still going to be riding this week, what you wear to keep warm, etc.

basically I'm just cargo knickers meant for warm weather + leggings underneath and double windbreaker, usually keeps me comfortably sweating even when it's like this out.

plus face neck/face warmer
    gotta go fast
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2015 edited

People usually put stories and current ride-related things in The Ride to Work/School/Whatever thread, so it's easy to keep it together. Besides, typing while riding is generally discouraged.

I do rolled up pants and leggings with a fleece lined softshell jacket almost all winter. On Thursday I might unroll the carharts."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    or if you're looking for company: Im going riding RIGHT NOW or in a couple hours!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    oo neato, shoulda looked a little harder for that one.gotta go fast
    Don't own a car. Work till 2:30am, or later, 5 nights a week. I ride during the coldest parts of the day (night).

Head to toe, on the COLDEST nights:
    -helmet
    -under armour cold gear mask/hood
    -long sleeve syntetic shirt
    -lined/winter lycra shirt
    -windbreaker
    -under armour cold gear tights or lined/winter lycra tights
    -army pants/BDUs
    -regular socks
    -skate shoes (warmer/thicker than my Chromes)
    -snowboard mittens

My toes/feet might be freezing cold, but the rest of me is usually sweating, even when it's like 10 degrees out. This pic was part of a Tag N Brag tag from like two years ago. It's was like 12 degrees that day. I'm wearing the above list.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAll you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    that's some inspiration. don't have a car either, but if I take MBTA it usually makes me wish i rode.gotta go fast
    ^^how long is your commute?
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2015

I'll be riding all week, commuting 8 miles each way.

I'll just add that you should dress for how you'll feel 3/4 of the way through the ride, not for how you feel at the beginning of the ride. Which for me usually means over-layering the hands and feet and under-layering the core.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    ^That.

Chris I can't believe you don't put more on your feet. I add wool socks (over regular socks) if it's much below freezing.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    ^^truth. if you're warm/sweating while you're standing inside, you're overdressed.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfixiefriend
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2015 edited

^^^ pre cisely

my commute is 10 miles each way and the first 5 minutes feels bad man but then it feels alright halfway thru. by the time i get to work, i have a good sweat stain on my back. still bringing a change of clothes to work every day. I just can't do fingerless gloves anymore which i did up until the other day, been wearing some random tacti-cool gloves i got off amazon. I'm also vans, but would probably appreciate the wool socks idea.

i think in the ride to work thread MJF said something about the dry air - i have this pseudo-woolen nylon face warmer i got from an army navy surplus store back in providence that I can't really go too far without with this cold air. it creates a little zone for the air to warm up before being breathed in, would highly recommend covering your nose/mouth if you're going without something like that.gotta go fast
    My commute is about 7.5 miles each way. My feets...it's basically useless to put more on them, because they get so cold, so quick. I've had major trouble with them all my life. Tonight on the way to work I tried something a little extreme:

-Removed shoe inserts.
    -Put in "heat retaining" inserts instead of regular ones.
    -Added foot shaped "foot warmers" (e.g. Those chemical things that get warm when exposed air)
    -Super thick wool socks

With all that, my feet were NOT frozen when I got to work, but not really warm, either. And yeah, as Rob said, you can't over dress. If you're warm the second you walk out the door, before riding, then you are over dressed. You have to dress for rising core temp, not its baseline.

Was 13F when I left house for work tonight. Wil be colder on way home. Tonight's get-up. The vortex got nothing on me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAll you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    ....welp, guess i'm goin out to get some wool socks and foot heat things on my lunch break. tonight'll be brutal.gotta go fast
    I double socked and double gloved it this morning. My fingers were still cold and my feet were a bit chilly but not as bad as last night with only one pair of wool socks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2015

i'm a staunch anti-double-socker. wear something over your shoes instead of squeezing your feet dry of precious warming fluidsss.

same thing with gloves. those outside gloves better be way too big for you to double up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

extra wool socks FTW, just loosen up your show laces."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    if flat pedals I do thin sock, wool sock, not textile shoes.
    if clip less I do thin sock, wool sock, cycling shoe, shoe covers.
    My feet are forever cold though.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    • CommentAuthorMJ
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2015 edited

killersim:if flat pedals I do thin sock, wool sock, not textile shoes.
    if clip less I do thin sock, wool sock, cycling shoe, shoe covers.
    My feet are forever cold though.

Because you and every girl ever have icicles for hands and feet.
    I'm with Nuggs...that's why I normally DONT wear extra socks; need as much circulation as I can get. The only reason I was able to handle that shoe configuration last night was because I removed stock inserts. With them in, everything would be way too tight.

Over shoe options, someone educate me. I ride hold fasts/platform. What's viable?All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    ^dont bother with shoe covers, just get better shoes. Shoe covers are really only worth it if your riding clipless. If you're feet are getting super cold and you don't want to switch shoes just put a plastic bag over your socks or get a set of SealSkins socks. I personal don't like sealskins because i feel like they give you trench foot if you wear them too long.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I've been doing a thick wool sock with a wind-proof cover over them, then my shoe (clipless, with the straps fastened as loose as they'll go). It's been fine for the mid to low teens we've been having. For tomorrow, I might just break out some shoe covers, though I have no idea where I've stashed them...Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

ive loosened my holdfasts to wear boots in them, doesnt help with my already toe overlap but i stay dryer and warmer. i get incredibly itchy in wool so i just wear ankle socks and normal socks over them.

as far as gloves im useless i wear my contractor gloves with dollar store liners inside.
    shemaghs for face and ear coverage
    Boots and a brake mr. Seditionsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    I'm adding a "Helna Brake" to my bike.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorginny

My hands somehow (and thankfully) get really warm I ride so I do okay with a pair of fleece gloves. I do however need water poof/resistant gloves as some point though because wet gloves suck.

I tried thick wool socks with my clipless for the first time today. I had been wearing thin wool or regular socks cause I was worried about circulation but the thicker sock was worth it because my feet were marginally warmer.
    my god... plastic bagging your feet actually works.

i just tore foot-sized bits off a shopping bag and wrapped my toes. feet were pretty cozy for most of the ride.gotta go fast
    newspaper is awesome as wellsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    fixiefriend:my god... plastic bagging your feet actually works.

i just tore foot-sized bits off a shopping bag and wrapped my toes. feet were pretty cozy for most of the ride.

Interesting. I'll have to try. But why? Why does it work?

I just got into work. Was slightly over dressed; will prolly end up being the warmest 20 minutes of my day!All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Just make sure you loosen up the laces so no foot-squishing occurs, but best guess is our canvas shoes + socks just let the air in thru the fibers, and the plastic helps keep the air out? or heat retention?gotta go fast
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2015 edited

Non-vented Bern helmet with winter liner. Neoprene Masque and ski goggles (clear non-tinted lens unless it's super sunny out) for when your face and eyeballs will freeze and beard for when the Masque is overkill (yes the beard really makes a huge difference in keeping your face warm). 20-year-old bright yellow Coleman jacket with pit zips and sewn-in Spandex wrist gauntlets with a hole for the thumb (so it acts almost like a fingerless liner glove sewn into the jacket, so the jacket sleeves don't ride up when you stretch down over the bars), and Burton snowboard pants with removable bib for when it's real sloppy out and loads of vent zips for when it brightens up and you don't want swamp crotch. Auclair 3-finger split mitts -- split mitts are awesome; they give you the warmth of regular mittens while allowing you to finger the brake. Most 3-finger mitts have the split between the index and middle finger, but the ones that have the split between the middle and ring finger are perfect for two-finger braking, even with drop bars, and they spread the warmth out much better (that lonely index finger in the other design would be the coldest finger). Last season I rode in platform pedals and waterproof hiking boots, but now I just bought a pair of Giro Alpineduro SPD boots. Should be much more like a clipless version of a hiking boot compared to other winter cycling boots on the market like the Lake MXZ303 which my friend swears is warm as fuck, but these should be so much more versatile for going into places and walking around without the clomp-clomp.

I want to be warm, not be a badass like Brittany:
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    Home. That was the WORST ride of my life. Not something I'll ever forget.

Current temp. -2

I wasn't cold* at all. Actually sweating a bit now. The problem was a mix of added layers that made it much harder to move, and breath (mask), combined with wind. The entire ride felt like I was biking under water, against a very strong current, and with some absurd Shah gear ratio. IT. SUCKED. That whole trying to run in a dream situation. Mass Ave. bridge was one of those out-of-the-saddle-going-as-hard-as-you-can-just-to-move-about-3mph.

*My feet. Oh jeez. They are DONE. They HURT (and that was WITH those "toasty feet" chemical things)

I'm glad I did it, just to know that I can, but if I had to do that again, Uber, no question. I wish you guys better luck who are doing it in the morning.

EDIT: The difference between last night, when it was 12 and not as windy, and tonight, was/is mind-blowing. Last night was NO problem. Tonight, however...All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2015

Ugh, thanks for the report. I don't cross the river on my ride so I won't have that problem at least. Also, looks like I'll have a tailwind for most of the ride. Thinking it may not be so bad after all. (Ha!)

I too find it difficult to breathe with something over my mouth. What I usually do is arrange the mask (or whatever) just so it covers my lower lip but not my upper lip. This has the effect of routing my warm breath over my face and cheeks, which is usually enough to keep thawed, but also allow easy intake of breath. Last night, that strategy was fine for my ride home. This morning, I'm not so sure that'll work...Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2015 edited

Holy crap, Chris, that sounds brutal. It was actually colder last night in Boston than in Rochester, specifically because of the wind chill (much less windy here.) I thought about biking yesterday afternoon but didn't because it was actively snowing and I was worried about cars and visibility. But mostly because I was a pussy.

Nerdo, this thing rules -- the mouth holes that you can see beneath the nose slot actually work (and prevent it from fogging up your glasses if you wear those, as long as you continue moving forward). The holes are small enough that you get a bit of residual warming over your whole face, but there are enough of them that it doesn't impinge breathing too much. But I think part of that might be because I've worn mine out enough that there are some rips between the mouth holes, which I'm sure reduces breathing resistance further.
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    ^ I hate those. My problem with them: the openings still make tip/bottom of nose and mouth area cold. Also, they don't really fit my face that well. My goto is an Under Armour cold gear hood/mask. Usually have no problem breathing with it, but I think the extra cold air added to that last night.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfixiefriend

got to work, it was 0 out when I left, with windchill being negative whatever.

plastic sock idea didn't really work this time, feet hurt like hell about halfway through, but thawed almost instantly once i got inside.
    maybe because i double-socked with thicker socks and made my shoes tighter/less blood circulation? idk

i think tonight will be like last night though, manageable but still feel like riding through dough (7-10pm, not so sure about when you get out of work chris)

if it weren't for that damn west wind.gotta go fast
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

BMX flats and goretex lined snow boots. Stop fucking around.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Rode to school this morning with 4 layers upper and a thermal fleece layer over my jeans and arrived very toasty and warm enough. Fingers got cold with double glove but not bad. Tried the plastic sock for the first time with one regular thick wool sock and shoe covers over clipless and my toes were much better off compared to double sock and no shoe cover. Oh, and a beanie under a balaclava kept my head more than warm enough, although my helmet just barely fit with all the extra bulk.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Beware overtight shoes in general. Not just because of lost circulation (though I imagine that's a factor) but squeezing your toes at the end compresses the layering and doesn't allow you to build up a reserve of trapped warm air. My toes made it without too much ache, though I had two layers of socks and a third (sorta) windproof layer over them. All stuffed into my normal clipless shoes, just barely fastened. Worked like a charm.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Lol, turns out our house hadn't turned on the heat yet. It was kind of cold this morning."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick

Psa re your feet hurting, thats good. When they stop hurting and you lose feeling in them, get out of the cold, your nerves/skin just froze.

Informational page about stages of frosbitesomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    D-winter commuting-Q: Does anyone have an alternative gear setup for long-distance? I'm only going a little over 5 miles, but I'd been doing about 2.5 for several years, and then this year I moved and it was like 4 and my go-to gear was approaching untenable. Basically, for bottoms, on days under 20, I've worn jeans over long underwear and it's been fine, but with the 4 miles it was verging on swamp-ass, and so I don't want to test it with 5. It's not really long distance, but I run hot, so I think the long-distance solution might be for me. Tomorrow looks like it's gonna be wool shorts and fleece leg warmers, but I'm pretty sure I'ma freeze.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2015

Super cold-weather "thermal" tights -- I have some cycling specific ones and they are pretty damn warm. Perhaps underneath jeans if they're lighter tights or it's super cold out.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    I always worry that cycling-specific cold-weather tights are so Freds can ride in April when it's 50F - you are confirming they are warmer than that?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2015

I will confirm they are warmer than that. I generally do heavyweight cycling tights under a pair of shorts (or, now, a pair of Chrome knickers I got from Mrotown). Craft had some good tights with an extra wind-block layer in the front, so you get the coverage where you most need it and don't overheat in the ass region.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Ok, I mentioned some time ago that I now owed lycra, but didn't want to talk more about it. I'll say more now. I bought a cheap kit (long sleeve and pants) off ebay. From China, just to give it a try. Got the winter version. Fleece lined or something. All I can really say: MY. GOD. ARE. THEY. WARM. Historically, I have worn Under Armor cold gear in winter when it's super cold. THESE. ARE. WARMER. When I rode home last night it was 32. I had kit on as base layer, and army pants and wind breaker. I. WAS. ROASTING.

I am 100% confirming "that they ARE warmer than that." Or least, my cheap-ass Chinese suit is. I can't imagine how much better *real* kit would be.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    chr|s sedition:Ok, I mentioned some time ago that I now owed lycra, but didn't want to talk more about it. I'll say more now. I bought a cheap kit (long sleeve and pants) off ebay. From China, just to give it a try. Got the winter version. Fleece lined or something. All I can really say: MY. GOD. ARE. THEY. WARM. Historically, I have worn Under Armor cold gear in winter when it's super cold. THESE. ARE. WARMER. When I rode home last night it was 32. I had kit on as base layer, and army pants and wind breaker. I. WAS. ROASTING.

I am 100% confirming "that they ARE warmer than that." Or least, my cheap-ass Chinese suit is. I can't imagine how much better *real* kit would be.

link to kit//seller?

I bought my first kit this summer and it made just a huge difference on long rides- I felt like I could actually breathe. My issue in the winter is I end up sweating bullets by the time I get to/from work, and that's only like...15 minutes in the road at most. I'm looking to buy a winter kit (long sleeved, maybe lined like yrs) for commuting. Thanks dude!and then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    i just wear regular-person long johns from uniqlo (their heat-tech ones) under my summer biking knickers for my 10 mile commutes- i think anything thicker than that and it'd be soggy scranus for me.gotta go fast
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2015

I just use under armour tights I think are meant for running under carharts. It's just one layer of that stretchy material, no fleece. Never had an overheating problem."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I'll try to dig up seller. Fair warning, shit is HOT. If your NOT looking to get all sweaty, getting what I got is a BAD idea. I only wear it under clothes on REALLY cold days (e.g. 20 and below) because otherwise, too warm. UA works better, lets some heat out/cold in.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    hmmm, gotchya. The thing is I work as a coffee roaster, so I'm essentially standing next to ovens for 8-14 hours a day. Often times in the dead of winter I'm just wearing a long sleeve shirt and jeans at work and am too warm- the point in all of this, is no matter what I wear on my ride, whether it's under my clothes or replacing them, I have to change when I get there. So if this kit you got would be a go on super cold days without any kind of over layers, that would actually be ideal! Did you ever ride in 20+/- degrees in just that kit?and then the time will come when you add up the numbers