Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Hey everyone,

My name is Terrence, and I want to learn how to weld (TIG especially) to eventually build frames, but before I drop money on a class and equipment I want to try it out. If anyone does this currently, and has a setup, I'd like to buy you some food and beerz for teaching me how. If anything it would be great to talk bikes and hang out. I'm pretty mechanically inclined if you have any hesitations. Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2015

i'll let you tig my dong for $5.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I haven't taken it myself, but I've heard really good things about the welding class at Artisan's Asylum, and it's pretty affordable."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Also, after you take the class you get to use their equipment. The instructor is really good, used to work at Seven."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Thanks! $300 isn't too bad for 8 hours of classroom time.
    • CommentAuthorroburrito

I took the TIG class at the Asylum ~3 years ago. Great class! The Asylum is a really cool place. The Frame Building class there uses brazing and lugs not TIG though.

Here's the bike I built at the Asylum.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

The guy who taught the old framebuilding class moved away, and the new instructor is the Royal H person. So, super nice quality."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2015

$300 plus how much for mats?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorMJ
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2015 edited

6kidz:$300 plus how much for mats?

Were you talking about the welding class?

Bike Building course is at $975 now

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/build-your-own-bicycle-frame-summer-2015-tickets-15069152240

really wish I took it a few years ago when it was $600.
    • CommentAuthorroburrito

Welding class is $300.

For the framebuilding class Paul experimented with different pricing. I think the first round was $600 including materials. Second or third was $300 and you bought your own materials. After a few classes I think he upped it to around what it is now. The frames that came out were of mixed success. Some people made great frames, some didn't finish, some were questionable. But I guess that's typical of "build it yourself" classes that arent thousands of dollars. If you want it to turn out great you have to be willing to put in a lot of extra time outside of the normal classes. Especially if you don't have prior brazing experience.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

Thanks for info."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

i used the groupon for stonybrook fine arts welding class.
    it wasnt frame specific just intro to welding
    learned mig/tig/oxy.

made a gastank for a moped, definitely came in for extra hours on weekends.

if he still has the groupons/livingsocial id recommend it, a little pricey without it