Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

PEdal Power in Acton is having a meeting about building a local Velodrome on March 10th at 6:30. Show up and show some support, Boston area really really needs a velodrome!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2015

what? more info? pedal power bike & ski? troll? ivo shandor?
    Seriously, we need more info if you want folks to show. Add the Who and Where to your post.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    https://www.facebook.com/PedPowMA/posts/1071039909588924
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

DIY VELODROME BOIS
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

At first I thought these were the yokels who hijacked the New England Velodrome and killed it in less than two years. But I guess these are different yokels.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

how hard should i troll?
    all im sayin is before the haters hate, maybe theres some rich ass benefactor whos like, ive got the warehouse, i got the money, this will be my legacy.

Oh wait that's just me in 40 years after im rich.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

true. but trolling is now. trolling is free. and trolling FEELS GOOD.
    Not a troll, I walked in last week and they mentioned this to me. Apparently it is a meeting gauging interest for a velodrome. Other than their Facebook and Twitter post, I have no other details. It is at pedal power in acton tomorrow at 630. Hopefully their is lots of interest or some really rich person who wants to fund this project. After living in Chicago for a few years I got really hooked on track racing and I would really like to help get this idea going!
    This is literally all the FB & twitter things say:

Pedal Power - Bike & Ski

Got Velodrome?
    Want to try bike racing on a track? A group of folks are exploring building a velodrome locally. If you're interested, join us for our next meeting at Pedal Power, Tuesday March 10th at 6:30pm. All persons, ideas, locations and funds are welcome.

I know the people who are in charge of the Kenosha velodrome, the Northbrook velodrome, and Marcus at Yojimbos garage in chicago (who is currently in charge of trying to save the south chicago velodrome), so hopefully i can get some insight from them about funding and such.
    Sounds cool but Acton is a bit of a trek. I wonder how serious this is.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2015

Somebody go and report back for the group. Personally, I'd ride the hell out of a local velodrome (though I'd need to buy a proper track bike again). But we've been down the road a few times with knuckleheads who get the community excited and fail to deliver.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    I can make it there this evening, anyone else down to go? Have a car, can fit 3 passengers..
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

unless it's going to be an outside track, i would be very surprised if one person would be able to sugar daddy a velodrome.

but srsly, does anyone think that these guys are going to do anything? LOOK AT THEIR SHOP PAGE.

#stillhatin
    • CommentAuthorIvo Shandor
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2015 edited

I will be going, so I'll give a detailed report. Indoor track would obviously be better, but a building that siE is expensive. Chicago wanted to put one of those inflatable domes over it, but those cost about 500k.

Concerns I'd like to bring up:
    Type:Indoor/outdoor/inground/freestanding/concrete/wood
    Location: needs to in metro boston area, near public transit, not in a shit neighborhood (both Chicago and Cleveland velodromes are in the ghetto and have major vandalism problems).
    Cost: velodromes do not make money, Chicago was almost taken down because no payments were ever made on it. So there needs to be a major funding source
    Length/banking: needs to be standard, 250 or 333, banking of at least 35 degrees. Needs to be a standard length to be accredited by a governing body.
    Approval from cycling bodies: Aba, atra
    or usacycling?
    Race director/officials: someone has to run the races.

Anyone have anything else they want to add or communicate to the meeting?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

ivo, you don't seem like a chode. but it seems like you're going to a chode meeting. maybe you should find the one non-chode at the meeting, befriend them, talk to bill gates, and then make a velodrome with olympics/microsoft money. and call it "msn hotmail presents the ms bob velodux".
    if theres only ONE positive aspect of the olympics possibly coming here, its that there will almost definitely be a world class, indoor velodrome built, within a reasonable driving radius of Boston
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2015

Last I heard, the Olympics people are making it a temporary structure."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2015

^yup. not permanent. surely could change, but i would doubt a pedal power acton velodrome meeting would reach the mayor's office.
    So, what transpired at this meeting?
    They can permanently kiss my ass
    Nuggetross:ivo, you don't seem like a chode. but it seems like you're going to a chode meeting. maybe you should find the one non-chode at the meeting, befriend them, talk to bill gates, and then make a velodrome with olympics/microsoft money. and call it "msn hotmail presents the ms bob velodux".

siggin iti mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2015

so did anything eventful happen at this meeting?
    Here's the rundown of the meeting

-it was about 15 people, mostly older folks (think 35-50, plus one 90+ year old who raced track in the 30's or something crazy like that).
    -many of them had ridden tracks all over the country.
    -This was a VERY preliminary meeting, discussing options like indoor/outdoor, Olympics (not gonna happen) or separate, possible locations, lengths etc, and getting to know what each person could bring to the table.
    -one guy had tried to get a track started in the early 90's but it never got past the business plan phase.
    -Several people had business/finance/public planning/real estate/non-profit experience
    The consensus seemed to be (but not written in stone by any means):
    -Not working with Olympics
    - indoor/wood track (due to our weather, but not totally discounting an outdoor concrete track)
    - somewhere just outside of Boston but within 128/95 or 495 radius of the city (a track in the city just doesnt make sense for funding, land, attracting racers, parking, traffic) and near public transit.
    - a 250m track with decent (35+ degree banking) so it can be used for training for professional races
    - possibly creating a multi-use facility or trying to work with another agency (special olympics has a massive facility that was just built)
    - Ideas are VERY preliminary! more ideas are welcome

- Next steps
    -discussion through a google group/scheduling the next meeting
    - creating committees to start researching
    - reaching out to experts to create a board
    - seeking funding sources
    -Getting the word out to more people/creating social media groups
    - creating a business plan
    -probably other stuff i am forgetting

In summary, this was a nice, friendly meeting of seemingly dedicated cyclists. Some were racers, some were just people who love to ride. Im hoping this group can move to the next steps of seriously researching what it will take to get this project off the ground. There was apparently another meeting last week of people in Natick who are looking into the same things, so there can be some collaboration there. When I get more details about what is going on, I will definitly relay it here and your folks can join the google group and maybe get to future meetings and get this velodrome up and running!

let me know if you want to get involved and Ill get you on the email chain!
    -Ian Whitney
    ianwhitney1@gmail.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ian.whitney.14

p.s. im pretty sure Im not a chode, and it was not a chode meeting, just some people who want to get a 'drome built for our cycling community.
    p.p.s anyone know any super rich people? im seriously going to reach out to the guy in Brooklyn who wanted to donate 45million for a track but was shot down!
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2015 edited

Dude, hitch your wagon to Worcester!

THREE DOLLAR WORMTOWN DRAFTS. THREE DOLLARS!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2015

Think of how far $45M could go purchasing materials for Boston public schools and helping end homelessness
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2015 edited

If only it were a 1 to 1 equation like that. Imagine all the $$ spent brewing the shitty beers people drink, or making the shitty bikes they ride. Let's allocate that to schools and the homeless instead. Or the $$ spent making that POS film Gone Girl. Etc etc etc.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

^^we'll talk to kids and the homeless when they have their own stadium plans.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

If if don't make dollars then it don't make sense."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

Nuggetross:^^we'll talk to kids and the homeless when they have their own stadium plans.

As long as they don't live in a "shit neighborhood"
    I bet you guy havent ever ride tarck.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2015

are risers allowed on the 'elotarck? drom-o-tarck? TARCK-O-DROMEEEEEEEE
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2015

Small note: I happen to know that *tons* of folks doing plenty of other amateur(-ish) sports are looking for space to do their thing as well. So while an single-use-track would be awesome, consider the notion of finding and working with other groups that may need open indoor space, and see if you can work with them for funding.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh