Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorgillian_w
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2015

Hey Boston Fixed people, I'm a fleet manager for an on-demand delivery app called Postmates. We're badly in need of riders in Boston!

Hours are totally flexible. We operate 24/7/365, bare minimum 1 delivery every 30 days- outside of that, you can work whenever you want. No schedule, no dress code, no manager.

All you need to apply is your bike and an iOS or Android smartphone. No previous delivery experience required, we train in-house. No maximum to earnings, either, and right now we have way more deliveries than people to run them, so you won't need to worry about not having stuff to do. On average, earnings are $20-25/hr.

Know anyone? Hit up Postmates.com/apply and enter gillian@postmates.com as your referral code.

Happy to answer any questions, I have delivered for Postmates in both NYC and Chicago before I started as a fleet manager. Hopefully I'll meet some of y'all during Bike Week or at the polo courts soon!! Peace!
    oh my god it's singer-songwriter Gillian Welch. you're like my favorite. you should quit fleet managing and go back to making poignant, sorrowful music.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthortone

• CommentAuthorgillian_w

paul jameson:oh my god it's singer-songwriter Gillian Welch. you're like my favorite. you should quit fleet managing and go back to making poignant, sorrowful music.

Yup you got me. Songwriting don't pay the bills, you know?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

are you guys like, the uber of delivery services? can i pay you to drive in an uber for me?
    • CommentAuthorgillian_w

Nuggetross:are you guys like, the uber of delivery services? can i pay you to drive in an uber for me?

We're structured similarly to Uber but we are wayyyy nicer ;) And... I have no idea what you mean by that, but we don't deliver people.
    •  
      CommentAuthortone

Wait, can I contract out an Uber driver to do my postmate deliveries for me and pocket the difference between what Postmate pays me and the Uber cost.We are the small axe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

[*(1)*]
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

What if I have a car AND a bike? What if I have a full time job and can only work, like, one night a week. Serious questions.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Do you have minimum hourly guarantees, such as what Favor currently offers? I currently do side hustling for them, but am looking to get on a new organization, and this sounds like a dead ringer
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Wait, no maximum on earnings?! Sign me up"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Is Postmates one of those out of state companies who tries to illegally claim workers are independent contractors? There was a class action lawsuit about that specifically concerning bike messengers a few years ago, because that's generally sketchy as shit and almost universally a bad deal for workers, who will also likely get fucked on taxes if they don't know what they're doing. If there isn't at least a half decent hourly minimum (averaged by shift, not week), it'd be best for everyone if Postmates sunk and gave all that work to local companies."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Also, Right Coast is hiring. It's run by local messengers, they have a guarantee and you can make a lot more than you can from these guys. I've known people who work for both, or used to because everyone quit Postmates."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    And to think I was worried that we were going soft on here.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2015 edited

THIS IS NAT, not ANDY:

Serious question, can I plz see the math that the average earnings are $20-25 (and how is an "average" in a range?) an hour? Is that for workers who work 40hrs a week or is that average hourly earnings for total man hours worked and is it what I should expect starting? Is this only including workers who are on bicycles and not including managers (fleet or otherwise) but people working in the positions you are actually hiring? Seriously, can I has citation? This is a very high number to claim someone can earn and as an experienced messenger in Boston I can say without qualification that there is no way that you can actually provide this as an average earning for a full time (40hrs weekly) bicycle messenger, even if you are still paying them as a PC, they don't work within a regular 9-5 schedule, and I assume you mean $20/hr rather than $25.

IF YOU SHOW ME WRONG, as an experienced bicycle messenger who does often get asked about existing job openings by experienced (and capable) people looking for bicycle work in this city I would provide you with a number of willing and able employees if you can actually show me that Postmates can provide a full time job for a bike messenger that averages $20+/hr with a 40hr/week schedule.

Heck, I'd gladly send people your way even if you can show me these earnings are possible outside of the regular high demand periods (that only total a handful of possible work hours in the week).

MATH PLZ, NOT ANECDOTE"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2015 edited

and we mean actual numbers your workers earn, not "well if they go faster than the speed of light to do enough convenience store to rich kid apartment runs that pay like $2.50, it's theoretically possible to make $25!", because I've heard of a lot of workers barely making minimum and it seems like it's just making the app developers and office people rich.

If that $20-25/hour is real, every person there would be some of the highest paid couriers in the city. Every good courier would have already quit their other gigs and flocked to postmates. Couriers don't make $200/day anymore on any consistent basis."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    great, i think he's gone guys
    how am i supposed to score a sweet fake messenger job now
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

GUYS THIS POSTMATES THING MUST BE A JOKE A JIMMY JOHNS JUST OPENED UP IN BRIGHTON AND THEY GOT THAT LEGIT COURIER WORK
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2015

GUYS WE'RE SCARING THEM AWAY. NUBEN HASN'T EVEN SAID HI YET!
    Scruffy..TheJanitor:great, i think he's gone guys

I think she's gone too.

Related: The best/worst thing on the internet is reading Glassdoor.com "company reviews" for "sharing economy" companies, where the devs are like THEY GIVE US FREE LUNCH AND MORE HEALTH INSURANCE THAN WE CAN HANDLE and the wheels-on-the-ground people are like THIS IS BASICALLY SHARECROPPING/FEUDAL SYSTEM.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    It was probably Karl anyway.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

•  
      CommentAuthorNandy

tinyhonkshus:

the devs are like THEY GIVE US FREE LUNCH AND MORE HEALTH INSURANCE THAN WE CAN HANDLE and the wheels-on-the-ground people are like THIS IS BASICALLY SHARECROPPING/FEUDAL SYSTEM.
    "life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorgillian_w

nerdo:What if I have a car AND a bike? What if I have a full time job and can only work, like, one night a week. Serious questions.

Sure, you can use whichever one you want on a given day. Minimum one delivery every 30 days, so one night a week is totally fine.
    • CommentAuthorgillian_w

Nandy:Is Postmates one of those out of state companies who tries to illegally claim workers are independent contractors? There was a class action lawsuit about that specifically concerning bike messengers a few years ago, because that's generally sketchy as shit and almost universally a bad deal for workers, who will also likely get fucked on taxes if they don't know what they're doing. If there isn't at least a half decent hourly minimum (averaged by shift, not week), it'd be best for everyone if Postmates sunk and gave all that work to local companies.

There's a $15 hourly minimum floor for peak hours.
    • CommentAuthorgillian_w

Nandy:and we mean actual numbers your workers earn, not "well if they go faster than the speed of light to do enough convenience store to rich kid apartment runs that pay like $2.50, it's theoretically possible to make $25!", because I've heard of a lot of workers barely making minimum and it seems like it's just making the app developers and office people rich.

If that $20-25/hour is real, every person there would be some of the highest paid couriers in the city. Every good courier would have already quit their other gigs and flocked to postmates. Couriers don't make $200/day anymore on any consistent basis.

If you want to come in and meet with me when I'm in town next week, or if you want to have a quick phone call about it, I can break it down for you. On average, a delivery ends up being about $10 with commission and tip (based on distance from pickup to dropoff) and 100% of tips which are percentage based on the whole order. You can do up to two deliveries at a time, and all deliveries are one hour deliveries (actual delivery average time is about 40 minutes). So if you're working peak hours, you're guaranteed $15/hr minimum plus extra commissions and tips, and then whatever you earn on top of that.

Obviously that'll vary based on what people are tipping you, how many deliveries you're doing per hour, which runs are getting dispatched to you etc. but such is the nature of messenger work no matter who you deliver for.

I get that you're skeptical. I think that is because this winter really crippled delivery in Boston so we really fell of people's radar. That's a big reason the fleet is too small right now, actually. If you want, try it out for a week, and if you're not earning what you want to earn then you can bounce, no hard feelings.

I'm a real person so if you want to grab a beer and talk about it that's cool, add me on FB if you want, and if you want to talk to people who deliver for us in Boston I can hook y'all up too.
    • CommentAuthorMJ

gillian_w:
    Nandy:Is Postmates one of those out of state companies who tries to illegally claim workers are independent contractors? There was a class action lawsuit about that specifically concerning bike messengers a few years ago, because that's generally sketchy as shit and almost universally a bad deal for workers, who will also likely get fucked on taxes if they don't know what they're doing. If there isn't at least a half decent hourly minimum (averaged by shift, not week), it'd be best for everyone if Postmates sunk and gave all that work to local companies.

But are they independent contractors; this is important.
    • CommentAuthorgillian_w

fffens:Do you have minimum hourly guarantees, such as what Favor currently offers? I currently do side hustling for them, but am looking to get on a new organization, and this sounds like a dead ringer

Yep! We are similar to Favor but our delivery fees scale with delivery distance instead of being flat, and we're 24 hours.
    • CommentAuthorgillian_w

MJF:
    gillian_w:

But are they independent contractors; this is important.

Yes. That doesn't mean we don't take care of you- you have a 24/7 support team ready to help you if you need it, and if you're injured on duty we cover your medical up to a million so you don't have to rely on the BMEC, and hourly pay for light-duty (non delivery) work if you're injured. I invite you to find a delivery service that provides that kind of occupational/accidental coverage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

...but how big's your seatpost?
    • CommentAuthorgillian_w

Nuggetross:...but how big's your seatpost?

On the polo bike, the 'cross bike, the delivery bike, or the bar bike?
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

Gillian, what steps is Postmates taking to ensure that your riders get real messenger cred? What is your 5 year cred plan?
    haha lets just get super honest here guys
    postmates, favor and doordash are a "courier company" like the applebees curbside to go app is a delivery company
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

Also, how long is the peak hours window? It sounds like you're saying "make $15/hr for 3 hours a day, make $8/hr the rest of the day, every now and then you have an hour where you make $25. BOOM $25/hr!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I have a real hard time believing you charge suckers who use your app like $20 per convenience store to rich kid apartment run. Also, being open 24/7 is not a great selling point. No one wants to do that shit.
    "Hourly for non-delivery work" sounds suspiciously like w2 work. Also, I heard there's some laws mandating worker's comp and health insurance, most of which you get to avoid with the fake "independent contractor" thing."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2015 edited

But seriously, you wrote, "On average, earnings are $20-25/hr." PLZ EXPLAIN OR PANTS IN FLAMES
    -Nat

P.S. rock dathe, everyone knows you get messenger cred with the instagram app"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorgc

i mean anything that puts dash(ed) out of business is ok amirite?gone
    • CommentAuthorgc

wait, read more of this thread, THERES A FUCKING JIMMY JOHN IN BRIGHTON?

finally josh can follow his dreams as a jj delivery boygone
    • CommentAuthorMJ

gc:wait, read more of this thread, THERES A FUCKING JIMMY JOHN IN BRIGHTON?

finally josh can follow his dreams as a jj delivery boy

I've been meaning to go to it every time I've been in Brighton for the past few weeks.

I haven't had JJ since I was working in Atlanta in like 2008.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2015

guys, they're still here. let's just at least applaud them for that. shall we? *slowclap*
    gc:i mean anything that puts dash(ed) out of business is ok amirite?

These apps are like the ultra dash in the sense of the negative effect they have on people who still rely on bikework for their livelihood in a serious demeanor
    Further at least dash dipped their greedy toes in the local messenger pool, these app weiners have just been peeing in the shallow end